“A grand old place coming back”
Review of The Gil House - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Gil House
Cuisines: American
Morrisville, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A grand old place coming back”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We recently stopped in at the Gill house to see if the recent owners have continued their efforts to reestablish the great old restaurant. We found excellent service, a quiet clean atmosphere and better than average food, all at a reasonable price. We will return soon.

Visited June 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“3.5 Try the Carrot Ginger Soup”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had dinner here one of our nights in Henderson. I actually would give it 3.5 stars. The service was very good. I had some excellent Carrot Ginger Soup, but wasn't very hungry so just ordered the Chicken Quesadilla which was fair at best. A friend ordered the mussels and said they were very good. I saw someone else's Salmon entree that looked excellent, it was a huge portion!
They had limited hours when we were there early in the season. I would have definitely tried it again and ordered better, if we were there longer.
Great views from the dining room, interior decorating dated.. but fits with the area.

• Visited June 2013
Sherman, Connecticut
“Old School”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My family has been going here since the Fifties, maybe earlier. It was the only place to go for years and was consistantly excellent. My Grandfather loved the fried shrimp.Now it is hard to say if it will be open for the next visit. It has gone through many hands and we never know what the experience will be like. They used to specialize in local fish dinners, now they only have local Perch on the full menu. This year was ok. Next year if its open we will give it another try. The building has been a hotel and restaurant since 1812 and is right on the harbor. Give it a try.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank PHILRidgefield_CT
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Severely disappointed”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My girlfriend and I rode in on my motorcycle to have dinner Sunday, July 1, 2012. We were greeted by the host and quickly informed they had no tables available (despite at least 6 or 7 empty tables in the restaurant and no one in line waiting). I asked how long the wait would be and was told that it would be at least and hour to an hour and a half. I was getting the impression by the attitude that they did not want our business, having ridden in on a Harley, dressed in leathers. We were clean cut, dressed no less than the others in the restaurant wearing shorts, t-shirts and flip flops. I smiled at the host and to his disappointment, told him we would wait in the bar. After 15 minutes, we were taken to a table in the rear of the restaurant, where we sat for at least 20 minutes before we were even brought menus. Our waitress still did not show up after another 15 minutes. It was only when I went to the waitress station my station myself that we even got water. I had to pour it and carry it back to our table myself. Finally the waitress showed up after another 10 minutes and took our order. She made no mention of the water or even recognizing the fact that we had been sitting there for so long with no attention..
We ordered appetizers and they took no less than 20 minutes to come out. For dinner, I ordered the evening special, the braised beef shank in a wine reduction. My girlfriend ordered a classic Caesar salad with chicken. After almost 40-45 minutes, I had to get up and go find our waitress to ask her about our meal. She had not even come back to take our appetizer plates away or to refill our water glasses (I had to go get a water pitcher myself and bring it to the table.).
She said that the restaurant was very busy and that the food would be out as soon as the kitchen had it ready. AND she was tell me this with a straight face while sitting down at one of the now half dozen empty tables in the dining room. The host made no effort to come check on our status. When our meals finally came out, the host carried the plates over himself, plopped them on the table without so much a single word and then turned and walked away.
Interestingly enough, the braised beef shank was absolutely wonderful, however the side vegetables were cold...not room temperature....they were cold. How the hell do you do that? I can't figure that one out. After removing the rosemary stalk garnish that was just stabbed into the top, I did eat the beef and the potatoes underneath, leaving the cold vegetables...shank was hot, sauce was warm and potatoes were room temp. The shank and sauce were very good. The Caesar was pedestrian and the chicken bland, but that can be typical for Caesar salads when they do not make their own dressing and the chicken was seasoned with only salt.
When we were done, I had to find the waitress to get our check, I stood with her while she rang up the check and charged my credit card just to be sure I wasn't stuck there another 30 minutes waiting for her to return.
This restaurant was recommended to us by a number of locals and we had high hopes for it. We were not disrespectful. We were not loud, dirty, drunk or rude...but unfortunately, we were bikers...who happened to be Federal Government officials, who have traveled all over the world. I have been to much nicer restaurants, been instructed by the restaurant staff to park the bike by the front door, welcomed in and treated very well.
The Gill House's assumptions and jumping to conclusions made them one of the most CLASSLESS places I have ever experienced in my life.
It is very disappointing that we were treated so rudely. This was not a sin of omission. The whole episode was overt and very obvious. I will tell this story as many times as I possibly can.

• Visited July 2012
9 Thank Daniel3613
Weaverville, North Carolina
“Casual-fine dining along shore of Lake Ontario”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

A family spot to dine but think about making reservations first. Nice to see an old historic place come to life again and families enjoying dinner together. We were looking for a relaxing evening with views of the picturesque lake and since we did not make reservations we were not seated near any window views. We started out with beer and wine and an order of Asian pot stickers, ginger scented steamed pork wontons, very tasty. We asked the waitress to give us time to enjoy our drinks and we'd order entrees later. Overly attentive, she returned several times in a short time period asking us if we were ready to order. Feeling rushed, we did order, a casual fare of swiss burgers and tuscan panini. Burgers were ok, panini very good! Other entrees, I noted, were attractively presented and creatively garnished.

We were just visiting the area, and won't get a chance to return this season, but hopefully next time around the Gil House will add a patio and outside tables at the back end of the restaurant facing the lake, truly the most picturesque location. There were some tables outside along the side of the Gil House, but at the time we visited in early July, no one was seated there. And hopefully for newcomers and return visitors the manager who was intensively absorbed in his business, will rekindle a feeling of calm relaxation for dining by the shores of Lake Ontario.

Visited July 2012