“Nice sand beach”

Southwick Beach State Park
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Henderson
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We didn't camp there so I can't attest to that. But we did obtain a day park entry to use the beach area, which was nice and for a Tuesday, not as crowded as a weekend would have been. We have a cottage, also on Lake Ontario, about 45 mins from Southwick, but the shore and lake bottom by our cottage is rocky. We just wanted a sand beach for the day ~ a place to catch some rays, read a book, lounge on a sand beach, and swim in a sandy bottom lake with no water shoes. Southwick State Park fit the bill and I recommend it.

2  Thank MuffetB

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have been camping at southwick for 30 plus years with out one complaint till this year.. I will not visit this park again due to employees acting as park police. two nights in a row july 15th and 16th a little after 10 pm a park employee came around being very rude about noise also made rude comments. he did this at other sites also. he told us we could only whisper. he told another group of campers not to talk after ten as he did other sited that were not making noise. the way he treated us and acted was uncalled for. I would recommend finding a different place to camp.
c. cotton

8  Thank sportsman1962
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I am 55 and have been camping with my family on and off at this park since I was a teen. On our second night at the park a staff member came to our camp site at 10:05 pm and his first words were, Two nights in a row, really I am calling park rangers. He did not even ask us to be quiet. He went on to inform us if we were outside after 10pm we would have to whisper. We were not loud and we are not a bunch of partiers. We are professionals including school teachers, Law enforcement officials, and nuclear plant executives, mangers, etc. We asked the employee if there had been a complaint and he said no. He was rude and condesending and mentioned more than once that we could be removed by park rangers. He then proceeded to a compsite near ours and told those campers the same. We were less than 100 feet from them and could not here them. Not sure if he was having a bad day but from talking to other campers at the park he had done the same to them. So if you want to have a camp fire and talk in a normal voice after 10 pm you should find another place to stay, after years of going to this park, my family and I will find some place else to spend our money.

4  Thank MikeandJen C
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The first time I went camping at southwick I had a blast. It was warm, beautiful and fun to play kickball or slow pitch softball with other campers. I had a very good time over all and its a very inexpensive place to stay for the week, but make sure to book well a held. The major downside I experienced was during my second time going up, it wasnt soured by the weeklong buckets down pour of rain however...it was the fact that there should be more security or at least more lights around the shower area. I'm saying this because I was in the shower when I heard a male and a female enter the(female) bathroom, both clearly intoxicated the female cursed and told the male to get out multiple times and the male joked and wandered around the shower side which I was on. I can't tell you how vulnerable I felt standing in the only lockable shower stall(the handi capped one, as its the only one that stays on for more than two seconds) trying to stay completely silent, not knowing what was going on and my phone and clothes being outside the shower stall...I was clearly shaken from that experience. No one was around when I finally left the shower area and for the rest of the week I wouldnt use the shower unless my husband waited outside. It was a scary experience for sure because anything could have happened.

4  Thank Mel M
Reviewed March 29, 2013

beautiful sandy beach for miles! One of my favorite state parks in NY. Nice area for a family picnic, beach day or camping! Gorgeous sunsets and wonderful natural beauty!

4  Thank Dina H