“Beautiful Rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hector B&B and Inns
Philadelphia
“Beautiful Rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2008

This place was beautiful. We stayed in the champagne room. The beds were very comfortable with tons of soft pillows and cozy blankets. This room had a 2 person Jacuzzi that was also very nice. The separate shower had a dispenser filled with shampoo, conditioner, and soap. There is a hairdryer, but I would recommend bringing your own. There were lavender salts for the tub. This place was a lot fancier compared to other B&B’s we’ve stayed at, but it was not at all ‘stuffy’. They had funny little things like water guns for Jacuzzi and things like that. Our room had access to the outside deck (2nd level) which overlooked the lake from across the street. The view was beautiful.
They had a nice fire going in the living room which we sat by for our evening dessert (brownies, cookies). The breakfast was a little disappointing one morning just because I do not like kielbasa- not because the food was bad. I did expect a little more/elaborate breakfast for a room that cost $220 a night, but it was ok. My husband was still a little hungry after breakfast and he wished there was a danish or something. There was not enough coffee. They ran out and did not offer to make more. And coming from a big coffee drinker this was very irritating. Yes, I could have spoken up, but they were aware that they ran out and did not even offer to make more.
Overall, I really liked the place but felt the price was a little high for what we got.
Oh! We ate dinner down the street at Suzanne’s. It was a great dinner. I would highly recommend it.

• Liked — the beds
  • Disliked — the noisy road and breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
magplace, Hostess/owner at Magnolia Place, responded to this review, March 27, 2008
Oh my Gosh... ! Our specially roasted coffee is our pride and joy! I can't believe we over looked refilling the coffee that we leave out after the breakfast service.
Next time, please let us know if you need anything at anytime, we're here for you.
Thanks for taking your time to alert us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2007

My partner and I were driving to the Finger Lakes to check out a restaurant in a nearby winery (Red Newt) that was recommended to us in NYC. Now, we needed to find a place to stay for the evening. The waiter at Red Newt mentioned that there were a couple of places along the 414, so we stopped at the first one - Magnolia Place. We were greeted in the kitchen by Ted, the co-owner, who was making cookies for the guests at the time (they were delicious, btw). He said that he had two rooms available, both of which had jacuzzi tubs and were rented at a premium. Because it was the day of, he gave us a pretty significant discount (about 25%). Ted insisted on showing us the suites before we made our decision. It was more than we would normally pay, but once we had seen the room, we couldn't say no.

The Magnolia Suite, where we stayed, had a separate room for the jacuzzi tub, an en-suite bathroom, a fireplace and a private deck. The bed had beautiful and comfy linens, like the rest of the house and its furnishings. The house has a wonderful view of Seneca lake. We were absolutely impressed.

The next day, we had breakfast in the communal kitchen: two mini strawberry muffins, fresh watermelon, a breakfast souffle with fresh salsa, peach pancakes, and sausages. Ted had promised us an unforgettable breakfast, and I admit that I won't be able to get it out of my head for a while.

We took a walk along their grounds before leaving, for a breath of fresh air.

All in all, Magnolia Place is a wonderful place to stay.

• Liked — Everything!!!
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2007

This was our first stay at a B&B at it could not have been a better experience. The innkeepers are wonderful and gracious hosts who make their guests feel very welcome. The breakfasts are delicious and wonderfully presented. Plus, you can sit down to eat with the other guests or get it to go if you're anxious to start your day. The inn is located right along the south end of Seneca Lake, approximately 7 miles north of Watkins Glen in the heart of the Seneca Lake wine trail. There are plenty of things to do if you're not into wineries. There is a gorge in Watkins Glen State park with many trails to hike in and around the gorge, as well as a swimming pool and picnic area. There is also Finger Lakes National Forest nearby with more hiking and biking trails and Watkins Glen race track (aka "The Glen") which hosts not only car races but the annual wine festival too.

For lunch and dinner, make sure to check out The WIldflower Cafe in Watkins Glen, a microbrewery with excellent food and beers, or The Red Newt, a winery with more delicious foods and wines to taste.

• Liked — The conversations with the innkeepers and other guests
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything that wasn't wonderful
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank eyeluvbeagles
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2007

This was my wife and I's third stay at Magnolia Place. We've stayed at a few B&Bs in the past, but always come back because its very nice, clean and the hosts are great.

As always our stay was excellent. The B&B is perfectly located for touring the Finger Lakes wines, going to the races at Watkins Glen, or for someone looking for a quiet place to stay not far from Ithaca.

The B&B is right on the Seneca Lake wine trail and is near many of the good Finger Lakes Wineries. The B&B is also a few minutes drive from several great restaurants. Its location is ideal if you plan to spend time in Ithaca as well.

The B&B itself is nicely decorated. The beds are very comfortable and each room as far as I know has its own bathroom and shower. We've stayed in several of the rooms (Oriental Room, Santa Fe Room) and all have been decorated well and are immaculately clean.

The hosts are extremely friendly. Unlike some B&Bs, there are no house rules per se so you can come and go as you please. The hosts always have some coffee and tea laying out and bake a nice desert treat each evening, which is always nice after a long day. They are a great source of information if you need it.

The breakfast is served each morning. This time it was a very large buffet with eggs, a souffle, sausages, biscuits, coffee, juice, etc. All of the food is extremely high quality and tasty. The hosts seem to try to accommodate most of the guests requests.

The B&B has a huge porch with gorgeous views of Seneca Lake. So if your looking for a day of leisure to watch the lake, its a great place to stay. Also, it had wireless internet when I was there if your a workoholic.

Overall, I highly recommend Magnolia Place.

• Liked — Clean and well decorated
  • Disliked — Nothing really. Third stay and still great.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank adamtope23
Philadelphia Suburbs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2006

Just returned from a three night (midweek) stay at the Magnolia Place Bed and Breakfast overlooking Seneca Lake in Hector New York: the Finger Lakes Region. We stayed in the Champagne Suite. This beautiful suite was on the second floor with a jacuzzi tub and private access to the second floor deck. Both the upper and lower deck had a wonderful view of the lake and the surrounding vineyards. I had a chance to look at other suites and they all were beautiful, most of them had a lake view !! Make sure you take a walk up through the back field of the property you'll find a pond and another great view! Irish and Sam, the owners dogs, may even escort you if you're lucky !! (Non dog lovers, don't worry, the dogs are kept away from the guests and Ted won't let them bother you unless you want them too!! They're good dogs!)

Anyway, the whole house is decorated very tastefully and it is very comfortable. Aside from the beautiful home with a lake view, I have to say that the food is also outstanding!! Terri and Ted, who own and operate Magnolia Place, prepare unbelievably good, unique breakfasts right there in the spacious eat-in kitchen, which like everything else, is very comfortable and decorated so nicely!

Some of the recipes are on the website, like Blueberry French Toast, Sunrise Souffle, Pumpkin Pancakesand the homeade Cinnamon Syrup. (YUM!) You will also get fresh fruit, fresh muffins and juice with your meal. You will be completely stuffed after breakfast and ready to hit the wine tour !! I enjoyed mostly all of the 16 wineries we went to, and be prepared that most do charge for tastings but some do deduct the charge from any wine purchase you make from the winery. (
TIP: Not all but some of the wines are available at Wrights Liquor Store in Watkins Glen a few minutes away, and some are cheaper there, too!) Glenora was a good winery and had a great restaurant (Veriasions) with a view...this is across the lake from Magnolia Place. Our favorite winery was Bully Hill which is located about 30 minutes away on Keuka Lake. The drive was a "straight run" and the scenery at the winery was breathtaking. The winetasting at Bully Hill was the best in the area thanks to "Happy Phil" who is really funny ...its the only "entertaining" wine tasting I had been too. The wines are reasonably priced too. If you can, take a chauferred wine tour, I'm sure they have an "arrangement" with the wineries they take you to, but we were taken to very clean, very good wineries. Terri and Ted can recommend a tour.

Once you are back from day tours and dinner, you have to save room for the evening treats back at Magnolia Place (the cookies, brownies,etc are freshly baked every night and are put out while they are still warm, but don't worry, they are still good if you get back late...that's if and there are any left !!)

I don't want to keep rambling, but it was my first time in the Finger Lake region and I'm trying to paint the picture for those who may have the same questions I had looking into this trip).

Aside from the wineries, try to get to Watkins Glen State Park to walk through the gorge and view the waterfalls...Enter the park at the entrance in the center a Watkins Glen : it's $3 a person to enter and get a trail map but it is well worth it...where sneakers or comfortable shoes. Antiques and other roadside shops were good stops if you are into that. And if wines not your thing, up the road from Magnolia Place is Wagner's Winery which has really good microbrews (tastings offered).

I think the only other important point is that if you go during the week in the fall, some places are going to be closed, but there are still plenty of places to go and if you prefer less crowds, midweek is the time to go!!

To sum up, I have not stayed at too many bed and breakfasts, but I can say that from those that I have Magnolia Place is tops!! The location, atomsphere and food are combined to make an extremely relaxing, enjoyable getaway!!

PS: Just wanted to warn those of you who are like my husband, some of the rooms do not have televisions, but there is a TV in the living room. There is also a fridge off of the living room to keep your wines in and wine glasses, bottles stoppers and corkscrews are there too.
Also, there are "fake" gunshot/artillery sounds that go off every few minutes across the vineyards in the area to scare away birds/animals, but it stops at sundown and you get used to it.

That's it, I think.... the Finger Lakes in New York is a beautiful place and so is Magnolia Place....I will definitely be back.

• Liked — The location and food
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank DetectiveTraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hector
Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel
The Blackberry Inn B&B
The Blackberry Inn B&B
#1 of 17 in Watkins Glen
The Savannah House Inn

Been to Magnolia Place? Share your experiences!