“Excellent, creative food”

Red Newt Cellars Winery & Bistro
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Hector
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Red Newt Bistro is a great place to stop for lunch while in the Finger Lakes. We continue a decades long tradition of working closely with local farmers to offer fresh and delicious local fare. Quick service and simple, delicious food sourced from Finger Lakes farms is the perfect complement to a glass of wine on our deck.
Ithaca, NY
“Excellent, creative food”
Reviewed September 7, 2009

The menu features many local ingredients. Service was friendly and courteous and the view over the vineyard and hills was very pretty. It took a while for each dish to arrive, which was fine since we ordered the chef's tasting menu (5 courses): squash ravioli, green salad, halibut in oregano cream, pear/wine sorbet, duck w/ raspberry demi glace, chocolate pistachio torte. While no individual dish was "the best I've had", each had creatively-paired flavors and was delicious.

himrod, ny
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We won't be going back”
Reviewed July 10, 2009

We had been fans of The Red Newt in the past but they seem to have become quite full of themselves. A glass of wine is now 8.00, food is variable, and the maitre d' is downright mean. I'm really surprised that in this economy the Red Newt thinks it is in NYC.

1 Thank coda022
Westchester, NY
“Great!”
Reviewed May 25, 2009

I dined here 3 years ago and 2 days ago. I was amazed at the quality found in this restaurant off Rt 414 on the eastern shore of Seneca. The food is superb! It is inventive, honest, and delectable! The service is impeccably courteous. Excellent wine flites, though better 3 years ago. A bargain for what you get.

Ithaca, NY
“Excellent Dinner”
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Had dinner at Red Newt last night. Started out with the House Made Ravioli - Chevre, black olives. caramelized onions,
creamy red pepper sauce - ate every last bite even the greens it was served on! For dinner I had the daily seafood which was scallops- fresh herb butter, herb basmati and bamboo rice, lentils, garbanzo and wheat berries, and the seasonal vegetable was roasted root vegetables. I again ate everything (minus two scallops that I shared with my husband). My husband had the Beef Tenderloin - Bacon wrapped grilled 8 oz filet, red wine demi-glaze, bistro potatoes, seasonal vegetable and he ate everything. Although we were both very full from dinner and the bottle of Red Newt Red Eft wine we had, we squeezed in room for dessert. I had the apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream and my husband had the chocolate pate - so good! Everything I have ever had here is fantastic. I highly recommend the restaurant. It has a lovely laid back atmosphere. The waitstaff is fantastic as well. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the restaurant!

Ithaca, New York
“Food ok, service slow”
Reviewed December 15, 2008

I took my family here during the Deck the Halls event. Some of our food was really good. The white lasagna and the artichoke dip were great. The chili was not good, more like hamburger soup, no detectable spices. While the food was okay, the service was terribly slow. We were the only table occupied and only one other table came in while we were there, there were at least 4 staff on but it took 25+ minutes to get our appetizer and 45+ to get out meals! We wanted a quick stop and didn't get it here.

1 Thank arianatsp