“A nice dinner experience”
Review of Pace's Steak House

Pace's Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Pace's Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 70 Restaurants in Hauppauge
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: At Pace's, we are extremely attentive to your steaks long before they get to the table! First, we select only the finest meat available directly from market docks in the heart of New York City's famed meatpacking district. The cuts spend weeks under careful attention in our specially constructed aging rooms. This process guarantees that we serve only the tastiest, most tender cuts of prime beef that rival even the legendary old steak houses of New York City. For those with a creative palate, our marinated steaks are bathed in a carefully prepared sauce for three full days until each succulent bite is infused with the full flavor of our secret family recipe. Needless to say, our bar is fully stocked with a dazzling selection of fine wines and spirits.
“A nice dinner experience”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Had are friends 50th birthday with 16 people.We had a 7pm reservation and were seated on time.The service was excellent as are drinks were never empty.The fillet Oscar dinner was cooked to perfection.The appetizer lobster,served out of the shell was fantastic,highly recomend it,seafood soup is a good choice.For the none beef people the duck was very good,but the monkfish was dry,even with the extra sauce served on the sideThe price was a little heavy,but for a special occasion it was worth it.I heard a lot of people talking about the bar being very loud in past posts,we were there on a Saturday night and could all talk in a normal tone.Wine list is huge 2 pages as menu is only one.Ever item is alacarte,so be prepared for extra cost.Will be back again for a special day.

• Visited January 2013

Setauket
“Happy New Year”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

. I eat here with my family regularly, on New Years Eve we had reserved the bar area seating for about 25 people assuming the area would not be packed. Then unexpectedly the bar got packed and our party was confined, the staff went out of it's way to satisfy us, they took care of us in every context. People should know that this little steak house has huge heart with great people serving the best food around.

The Bluddery's

• Visited January 2013
Stony Brook, New York
“A wonderful dining experience with friends”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The food was excellent, The monkfish was one of the specials, two people in our party thought it was wonderful, two had the marinated shell steak, which was done to perfection. The wait staff was professional and efficient...

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Donna647965
Long Island City, New York
“Great Steak”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Excellent service, aged steak and ambiance. Warm deco and I was able to have a private meeting there.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank hockeybuzz
Boston, MA
“Terrible dining experience”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

If I gave Pace's one star its for the decor in the dining room. Black walls with gold mirrors and white crown molding ... its a very unique and classy environment.

However, this may as well be called 'Pace's Bar' because its clear most of their business comes from the bar because it totally takes away from the dining room when you go after 8 p.m. The night I went there was a football game being played in surround sound in the bar and it was so loud the walls were shaking. You could hear every whistle and every commercial as if it were pumping out of a speaker directly into your ear. I understand some might say, okay ... don't go to Pace's to eat during a football game because the bar will be noisy and its basically the room next door to the dining room. However, I have been there when there has been no game on and again the bar noise sounds as if its right next to your ear. Lots of 4 letter words being shouted, bar chatter and loud music.

Aside from the bar noise completely ruining any kind of relaxed vibe/fine dining experience ... I have noticed a serious slip in just about everything about this place over the last year. The food is way overpriced for Long Island ... especially Suffolk County. The prices are easily as high, if not higher than Manhatten or Manhassett. The cheapest steak on the menu is around $35. And when you order a petite filet minion ... they aren't kidding. Its about the size of a Kennedy half dollar.

I ordered my steak medium rare and it came out crispy on the outside and grey on the inside with a tiny bit of pink. I would call it more medium well than medium rare. Maybe even well done. There was no juiciness ... it was just a dry, bland piece of steak. The biggest insult was that the chef literally sliced the steak to see if it was done. I have never seen this done even at the Outback ... there was literally a radius sized slice right into the middle of the steak. The taste was very bland and I did something I very rarely do and used steak sauce to try to salvage any flavor the overcooked steak was capable of having.

The sides were laughable. Each cost almost $10 and was very dissapointing. The potatos were literally the type of home fries you would expect to get during army chow in the morning. Diced cubes of potatos seasoned with too much salt and little else. The macaroni and cheese was incredibly misleading. I thought it was going to be some kind of baked mac and cheese ... but instead it came in an almost soup of runny orange cheese sauce.

My date and I could bearly talk to each other without feeling we were in the middle of a crowded stadium. I've been to Buffalo Wild Wings restaurants that were more intimate and romantic. Which is a shame because without the crazy bar nonsense ... loud music, loud voices, loud football in surround sound ... it would actually be a very romantic setting. With a little Rat Pack on the sound system and the lights dimmed, it would be a very pleasant environment ... even if the food is overpriced and not that good.

I really am dissapointed in Pace's. At around $60 per person or $125+ for a couple including one drink each, side dish each and an entree each ... it really felt like going to McDonalds would have been a similar experience. All the food was overcooked and underseasoned. I didn't feel like I was actually getting any value. I will be the first one to say that you pay for quality. I have no problem paying $50 for a steak if it is cooked right, a good cut of meat and seasoned well. But to pay half a hundred bucks for a steak that is overcooked, bland and undersized is inexcusable.

The onion ring that was put on the plate with the steak tasted like it was re-heated and pre-frozen from the bag. The puree was strange tasting. We were not offered any bread, nobody came around to fill out water glasses and other than when the waitor took our order and brought us our food ... we didnt see any waitstaff at all. It was clear they were watching the game and thus too busy for us. I have been to Pace's other times where there was more than one waitor working the table and it was almost overboard with the amount of attention. The next time ... you can't even find someone to ask for steak sauce.

I would skip Pace's in Hauppague unless you are looking to be part of a noisy bar crowd. The atmosphere is now that of a bar instead of a fancy steakhouse. Once I noticed people starting to pay with groupon coupons, I should have known that was the beginning of the end for this place. It no longer has that vibe of a place where businessmen go to celebrate a deal in their suits and couples go to have a romantic evening out.

I will say that I have had much better luck with the Port Jefferson location. The service is better and although the steaks are still on the small side and fairly bland, the food is cooked pretty well and the waitstaff are more attentive. In Hauppague, it just is not the same anymore. Another thing I noticed is that the floor was very dirty in Hauppague as was the bathroom. I honestly think you could get as good a meal at JR's Steakhouse near the mall, which is really saying something because steaks there start at $10.

I do hate to say this because when it first opened, Pace's was a favorite of mine ... but maybe its the economic times and the management's refusal to lower the menu prices ... but it seems they are doing mostly bar business and groupon business and the classy steakhouse environment is a thing of the past. The last time there was my last time at Pace's. I will look at other options on the Island for a good steak. Maybe its worth the half hour to drive to Teller's in East Islip. I've never been dissapointed there.

Also, valet parking to move your car 50 feet into an open space? Come on.

• Visited September 2012