“I wish it was good enough to come back to”
Review of Saigonese

Saigonese
Ranked #9 of 56 Restaurants in Hartsdale
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Traditional Vietnamese food serves Pho, Bun ( Rice Vermicelli ), Banh Hoi (thin rice noodle), Bo Luc Lac Beef cubes with onions and garlic, Banh Xeo ( Vietnamese Crepe ), Pork Chops and much more!
Reviewed July 21, 2013

A chipped plate for the garnishes. A soup bowl with a crack line on one side. The waiter serves one of two main courses and says "Since the table is too small, we'll serve you the noodle soup later". To that I said 'No'!

How about those for starters? Truly a bad start for a first time visit to Saigonese. My husband and I went t for Sunday lunch and were the first customers in. Didn't feel like gertting appetizers which were mostly all kinds of rolls. Ordered the rib-eye noodle soup and the grilled pork Soup was flavorless although my husband liked the spiciness since he put all the chili into his bowl (ie, cracked bowl was replaced). Imagine if we agreed to them serving the soup later -- it would have been cold bland soup! Just like the grilled pork -- I was biting into room temperature meat and rice noodles. No sensory delivery here as well.

We're not Vietnamese but love Vietnamese food and have been to several Vietnamese restaurants around the US. We know what's good and bad. Our expectatios are fair. Unfortunately, Saigonese did not meet our expectations. I'm disappointed that it's not the Vietnamese restaurant that i would kerp coming back to.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Also just finished my first meal at Saigonese. I had never had Vietnamese food before and enjoyed it very much. Started with spring rolls, followed by a wonderful mango salad. I had the shrimp in clay pot and my boyfriend had the pho. Both were well prepared and tasty. Dessert was red and mungo beans in coconut milk, surprisingly wonderful. A great addition to Hartsdale food choices

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Just returned from our first dinner at Saigonese. This Vietnamese restaurant adds wonderful new flavors to Westchester. The appetizers were exceptionally good. The service is too slow but will hopefully improve. The entrees were very good however one was exceedingly garlicky and the other ironically could have been spicier. However we will definitely be going back in the near future to sample other items on the menu. A great beginning with room for improvement.

1  Thank RobertHA
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I don't like close knit restaurants, but if I have to sit close to the next table and hope for a parking space to get this food, I will do it. So very happily I will do it.

First off - ask for Andy #1 (I guess there are two Andy's!), SO nice and helpful and cheerful. He is from Saigon, he knows the food, and his recommendations were spot on.

So happy they have wine, I just love wine with food don't you? So I was happy to have my wine, and when my mouth met the exotic Saigon roll - happy, happy, joy, joy. I am not prone to enthuse, but the transparent wrapping on the exotic and shrimp rolls bore witness to a lovely taste treat. I didn't leave a drop of my peanut dipping sauce, in fact I dipped my shrimp from my papaya salad (another amazing dish of freshness and happiness) in it. The mango salad was deemed delicious as well.

For dessert, we had flan - yes, flan - which was dairy free and very good. I want to go back, as you may have guessed, for the rice crepes and the Rainbow ice. I won't even tell you what is in the ice, you'll have to be surprised.

I don't like soup, but I'm looking forward to the house special soup, # 25 I think.

As some have said, run don't walk to Saigonese - and ask for Andy #1.

If you can, though, leave me a table by the window. Enjoy!

2  Thank dee dee d
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had dinner on a busy Saturday evening- two soups; the house special beef and a tamarind 'hot pot' (which was also a soup). Both were really fine choices. This is a small, new restaurant and is still getting its feet on the ground. If they continue along this path, they will be a hit. And if appearance (and customer reaction) is an indication of food and preparation, other dishes should be as good as ours was.

The staff if friendly and helpful. We had a long wait for our able at the busiest time on Saturday, but the host was courteous and considerate. The waiter equally so.

1  Thank Monty0253