“Best Japanese in Westchester (no, really)”

Fujinoya Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 55 Restaurants in Hartsdale
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
NY, NY
“Best Japanese in Westchester (no, really)”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I had pretty much given up on ordering sushi in Westchester after trying too many 'best' Japanese restaurants and finding the fish basically inedible. But I was in the area, needed to feed the family, and figured that a more or less noodle based dinner would be safe. So we ordered a mix of items - gyoza, udon, soba, ramen, tempura, and a bit of sushi.

And we were just blown away...everything was actually pretty good. Not NYC (or Tokyo or Honolulu) good...but definitely worth eating. The soba had a nice tooth to it, the ramen hit all the right notes, the tempura was correctly prepared with vegetables and shrimp that burst with flavor, and most amazingly of all the fish was fresh and tasty. Woohoo!

For those who care they have shochu though do not serve chuhai - the citrus was rather nice. And my wife considered the house sake to be an amazing deal.

Lastly, as others have noted, the restaurant is a bit small for the demand (at least on a weekend night). Plan accordingly.

• Visited January 2013

Hartsdale, New York
“Tiny restaurant, fabulous food”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Fujinoya is a tiny restaurant in what was once, I think, a garage, but it has some of the best Japanese food I've had in Westchester. The day we went, all the tables were full (many with Japanese families), but the three of us were soon seated at the end of the counter, where we were very comfortable. The sushi was great; we had a spider roll (soft-shell crab tempura) and a fried oyster roll. We then enjoyed miso soup, a pork cutlet dish, shrimp tempura with vegetables and salmon teriyaki. For dessert - red bean and green tea ice cream. The service was prompt and friendly, the food delicious and the setting charming - casual but festive with colorful paper umbrellas hanging from the ceiling. Prices seemed reasonable for a Japanese restaurant in this area, and everything was very fresh. I look forward to going again soon.

• Visited October 2012
Croton on Hudson, New York
“Best Japanese Food in Westchester”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

If you can get a table, you will be treated to some of the best sushi north of the Harlem River. Prices are not over the top. Always a beer special. Easy to order with their picture menus. When you see Japanese people in the restaurant, you know its good. Tip: Get their just after it opens or expect to wait a very long time!

• Visited August 2012
“One of the best Japanese in town”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I consider myself a Japanese cuisine connoisseur and unfortunately, there aren't many good Japanese restaurants in town. Fujinoya is one of our first choices for the cuisine. Friendly staff and reliable food.

New York City, New York
“Great Place, Fresh Sushi”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I had not read or heard of this restaurant, but happened to drive by one day and gave it a try for dinner. I was very happy that I did. A good sign was that there were many Japanese patrons inside.

I liked the decor: simple, clean, and modern with highlights of Japanese flavor (e.g., Japanese umbrellas on the ceiling).

The service was friendly and efficient. There was a slight language barrier. One item that we ordered was not prepared and needed to be ordered again.

The food was great. I thought that the barbecue squid appetizer was fresh and well-cooked, albeit a bit salty. The sushi (we ordered an assorted mix) was terrific. It all tasted very fresh and was well-made. I thought that the miso soup was a bit bland, though.

The restaurant is not large, but we were seated right away on a Saturday night at 6:30pm. Soon afterwards, though, the place filled up, and there were a few people waiting outside to be seated.

Although the service wasn't perfect, the food was excellent, prices were not bad (not cheap, but reasonable for a sushi restaurant), and the ambiance was welcoming. I will likely return soon.

• Visited May 2012