“Very Clean - Firm Beds”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hancock
Hancock House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hancock
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Ignore the previous post. I just spent a night there on January 9th and I had a perfect night there. The only thing Kaycee is right about is the cold rooms. They dont leave the heat on when the room isnt in use and thats fine. If it is 20 degrees or colder outside, the room will be about 60 degrees. It only takes 2 to 3 hours tops for the room to warm up. In which case, check in then go to the hotel bar & have some drinks or go hang out in town, etc then go back to your room. The beds were very firm. If you don't like firm beds this hotel is not for you. However most people do and need it for support. The rooms at this hotel are very clean and everything looks brand new. The people that work there are nice. The bar was OK....I guess cheap drinks = tiny glasses. I would have preferred a bigger glass for my drinks. A lot of townies show up at the hotel bar & everyone seem to know each other. Flirtatious bartender - highlight.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hancock House Hotel

Reviewed January 6, 2010

I have stayed at the Hancock House every January since it opened and have always found it to be delightfully inviting and quirky. My stay this time was a disaster and I suspect I will not return.

I checked in during the North East Cold snap on 1/4/10. When I arrived they could not find my reservation by name or by reservation number. The gentleman at the front desk who both took the reservation and checked me in had a surly attitude about this and told me he could not hear me well when I made the reservation due to noise in the lobby when I called him( 8pm on a Sunday evening). He finally found the reservation and I was checked into my third floor room.

The third floor was at least 30 degrees colder than the lobby/bar which was a toasty 70 degrees- my third floor room was equally frigid. I turned on the wall unit heater ( and the shower at full blast) and went down stairs to see the manager. The manager- advised me that my room would warm up in 10 minutes and that I should not expect them to heat the rooms or hallways all day for three guests. When I said I would not return again he suggested that I was difficult and that It would be no loss to them. He did offer me a glass of wine if I chose to join them for dinner or a drink- but since the offering is Earnest and Julio Gallo's Merlot I declined.

After an hour my room ( and especially my bathroom- I turned the shower off) were still frigid. At best my room was 60 degrees. I took my laptop to the lobby to warm up a bit and check email. I once again bumped into the manager. I sent him up to my frigid room and he agreed it was about 60 degrees but advised me that was quite appropriate and it would be up to 70 in just a few more minutes. Unfortunately it was torture all night. Because the halls are not heated my room temp would drop quickly upon turning off the heat- so I had to keep it blasting all night.

Since the Bluestone was closed that night I had to eat at the Hotel. I ordered the 1/2 roasted chicken and that is exactly what I got. It was 1/2 cooked. Totally raw at the bone. After sending it back- it was returned to me 15 minutes later with overcooked frozen peas and carrots- look out Iron Chef!

After my dinner I went to my room to check some email and watch tv. The remote was broken so I went to call the front desk. I pressed the front desk button and nothing happened, so I pressed zero button and and the phone just rang with no answer. So I went down to the lobby and the front desk clerk changed the batteries in my broken remote and sent me back up to my room. I returned again to the front desk to advise her that the remote was still broken. I was told they have no extras and I'd have to wait and see if they could find one for me. My response was that she had 10 minutes to find me a working remote in an empty hotel. To her credit she knocked on my door with a new and working remote right away. While she was there I asked her how to dial the front desk and she gave me the main number. One has to place a local charged call to speak with a person at the front desk on the same property- How absurd.

Having said all of that it was the "we don't need you" attitude of the management about all of this that has made me change my mind about this property. I will never stay with them again and will advise everyone I know to do the same. Very poor treatment at $107.00 per night. Very poor indeed.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank Kaycee12561
Reviewed April 28, 2009

Personalized service, very congenial staff. Lovely lobby area and large rooms. Some difficulty adjusting heat setting in room but this was quickly resolved. Meals in adjacent diner were reasonably priced and surprisingly good.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We had planned to go straight from NYC to the Finger Lakes, but got a late start. We saw a billboard for the Hancock House Hotel and thought we would check it out, not expecting too much. But what a wonderful surprise. The hotel was built to look just like a hotel from the mid-1800's, including simply beautiful tiger maple woodwork in the downstairs lobby area. The room was large, spotless, and comfortably furnished, including a spacious bathroom, and a wonderful balcony overlooking the little town - all for $110, the high season price. We had a great pot roast dinner as well as excellent pancakes the next morning at the hotel's "Fanny's Cafe" - built to look like a 1950's cafe.
We found out the hotel owners also own an 18 hole golf course nearby, thus plan to return to this lovely little town and great hotel for a golf vacation in the near future. Anyone who thinks that friendly, quiet small towns no longer exist in NY state must visit Hancock to find out just how wrong they are.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2008

Our East coast trip was detoured to visit our daughter who was working at a childrens camp nearby.
The Hancock hotel was a very comfortable pleasant place to stay and we had a fabulous day visiting the nearby Catskills, visting Woodstock and experiencing beautiful scenery!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank elizabethDorking
Reviewed July 27, 2008

We stayed here for a family reunion in July '07. I grew up in Hancock and am pleased to see such a nice property/business in town. Having just opened, check in was slow (they were still installing the reservation software) and they were still working on the building. But it showed great promise. There are 2 restaurants and a bar on the premises.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed December 31, 2007

If you've ever been to Hancock, NY, you know that we are not talking about the epicenter of culture. Hancock is backwoods NY/PA border area, located off of NY 17. So when I had to make a trip over there to visit relatives, I wasn't exactly looking forward to it.

Lo and behold, though, the new Hancock House Hotel. Large rooms, tastefully decorated, with comfy beds, dish TV and a very nice bathroom. The food was also quite good. Fanny's Cafe has a bistro feel to it, and made an excellent country breakfast of eggs, bacon, home fries and toast. I had a family dinner at the Maple Room and the food was also good. Did not go into Honest Eddie's Bar, but they were doing a very good business so it seemed promising.

I definitely will be going back to the Hancock House Hotel. If you happen to find yourself in that neck of the woods, and in need of TLC, I highly recommend it.

2  Thank J_from_NY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hancock
Holiday Inn Express Gibson
The Lakewood Lodge & Restaurant
Super 8 Sidney NY
Super 8 Sidney NY
#1 of 1 in Sidney
Fosterdale Motor Lodge(Closest To Bethel Woods)

Been to Hancock House Hotel? Share your experiences!