“Best of the choices I've found in the area”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hancock
Hancock House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hancock
Fairfax, Virginia
“Best of the choices I've found in the area”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

In the last few years that my daughter's been to sleep away camp, we've needed a place to stay overnight. To be honest, the places that we've tried haven't been that great. I think the Hancock is the best of the choices in the area. I gave it four stars instead of three because it's above average for the area. Room was clean, beds were reasonably comfortable, decor is nice, air conditioning was fine. The "free" breakfast is a joke-- they have a normal breakfast menu in their restaurant but the "free" breakfast is not from the menu. You are limited to smaller portions and no substitutions. They would be better off just giving you a coupon for $5 off your breakfast in the restaurant, which would feel less like a bait and switch. All that being said, I want to reiterate that if you must stay nearby, this is a good choice, and I plan on staying here next summer when dropping off my daughter at sleep away.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank praline1111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Mansfield, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Brought my wife here for our 35th wedding anniversary. She was very impressed with all the planning. Her favorite flowers, a bottle of chilled wine, and a handwritten card awaited her in our room. I talked with Rosie , one of the hotel associates', about my planned weekend and she really came thru for me. My wife was very surprised and cried. The staff was very friendly and made our stay extremely pleasant. The included breakfast was excellent. We also had a really good time at "Honest Eddie's" lounge which is located in the hotel. We will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chapster52
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Hey, it's not relais chateau but if your in the area it will suffice. This is a renovated no frills hotel. Rooms are old, beds are new and it's very clean. People are very helpful and the great breakfast is free!

Room Tip: away from the elevator and far down the hallway
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank richard f
Cresskill, New Jersey
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at the hotel the last weekend of June. As I was walking to the room for the first time, the hall was a gathering place for many families staying on the same floor. But, I'm happy to report the room was quiet, nice and roomy, and very clean.

It was a hot weekend, so we had to have the a/c on, and it was fairly quiet (as quiet as an a/c can be) with just a constant running noise - no cycling on and off in response to the room temperature.

Since there were so many families staying in the hotel that night, the breakfast scene the next morning was noisy, and hectic. We were offered the buffet, but no menus, even though according to the hotel book in the room, our breakfast choice from the menu was included in the price of the room. My 2 year old wouldn't eat anything from the buffet, so the waitress, who was cheerful, did bring us a bowl of oatmeal when we asked. The buffet consisted of typical country breakfast: eggs, french toast, sausage, bacon, and biscuits and gravy. No fruit, or yogurt, or oatmeal, which would have been preferred choice for our family. They did have little boxes of cereal, but all were gone by the time we arrived at 8:30 am.

This hotel was fairly priced, was nicely kept, and centrally located in the town of Hancock.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Minivacatime
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We enjoyed our one night stay at Hancock House. The rooms were large and fairly spacious, bathrooms were homey and not industrial, the downstairs lobby area was relaxing, and the staff were very accommodating even during a period (camp week) when things were a little crazy. I'd stay at Hancock House again given the decor, cleanliness and helpful attitude of the staff.

Room Tip: The front rooms have a lovely balcony.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Annagins
NJ
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by how clean and comfortable this hotel and the rooms were, except we stayed upstairs from the bar and the kitchen (room 212). While we managed to fall asleep despite music from the bar in the evening, my whole family woke up to blaring Neil Young music at 6am. My husband went downstairs to ask them to turn down the music, but there was no one at the desk, so he followed the noise to the kitchen. After asking them to turn it down, we could still hear the thumping bass line and he had to go back down - again - and ask them to please turn it off. The walls are paper thin and this was just crazy unacceptable. We were groggy and could not fall back asleep and the sleep deprivation nearly ruined our day. We were really surprised that the kitchen would blast music at 6am on a Saturday morning in a small hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank aud503
Kingston, New York
Reviewed April 26, 2012

My first time staying at the hotel. 2 friends and I booked 2 rooms for a Sunday night, the first day of trout season. We had a late night on the river so we called and let them know we were still coming but that it would be a late night. We checked in around 9:45pm on Sunday night, We might of been the only ones staying at the hotel, we were the only ones parked in the back lot.
The bar and restaurant were both closed. Actually the only place to get hot food at that time on a Sunday was McDonald's, not quit what we were hoping for after a day on the river.
My room was set up for handicapped, It was clean, and very spacious. The water pressure is pretty bad on the 3rd floor, my friends in another room on third floor and no pressure. I couldn't imagine trying to wash your hair, luckily I don't have any.
I noticed in the morning the balcony was pretty nice, nice view of town, chairs set up, and pretty large.
Room came with breakfast included, breakfast is your choice of maybe 5 options, eggs, pancakes, french toast, cereal, coffee. I had the french toast thought and thought it was good.
Price was nice, stay was pleasant.

Room Tip: 3rd floor has terrible water pressure, might matter if you plan on washing your hair. Restaurant cl...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Buffalo_14222
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hancock
Holiday Inn Express Gibson
Fosterdale Motor Lodge
Fosterdale Motor Lodge
#2 of 3 in Cochecton
The Mansion at Noble Lane

Been to Hancock House Hotel? Share your experiences!