“Unimpressed, Despite Nice Location” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Colonial Shores Resort

Colonial Shores Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Hampton Bays
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Unimpressed, Despite Nice Location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Not sure why my experience was so different, but I didn't enjoy staying here at all. I booked a room many months in advance, but upon my evening arrival, the door to reception was locked. We stood outside for close to ten minutes before someone finally opened the door. The girl was unable to find our reservation, which was unnerving. She put me on the phone with someone and I was told to wait five minutes until the office manager came back. We waited some more - in the parking lot, because the girl had told us to wait until the woman got back (still didn't know who I was waiting for at this point, I presumed the owner?) and closed the door. When the woman/owner arrived, she was able to eventually find a record of my deposit, but it was clear that they had forgotten about it. Thankfully there was a room available, although it was not the room we had booked - this was a room with two Queen beds, and we had booked a King. The room itself was a clean suite in the main house. But the furnishings were very dated, the room was very dark (very little natural light and few lamps), the bathroom door didn't fit the door jam and had to be pried open or shoved closed. Not great but I could live with these things. But the air conditioning was the worst part. It was LOUD. Every time it came on, it sounded like gale-force winds during a blizzard outside. It literally woke us up throughout the night as it cycled on and off. Since it was August, tuning it off was obviously not an option, so it drove us nuts. We only stayed for two nights, so it didn't seem worth it to ask about changing rooms, especially since they had lost our reservation to begin with so who knows where they could have even placed us. When we checked out, the door to reception was locked again, and when the woman answered the door, she let me hand her the key and let me know that I was all squared away. Didn't ask whether we enjoyed our stay or anything, just had me hand her the keys and that's it.
Overall, it wasn't totally awful because it was a clean place to lay your head at night, but given that there are a lot of nice places to stay in the Hamptons and even this middle-of-the-road establishment is certainly not cheap during the peak summer season, I was not impressed - neither by the room itself nor by the hospitality. Next time I'm out in the Hamptons, I'll spend a little bit more to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank KGSellers

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Spanish Fort, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

What a pleasant surprise. I never expect much when I have to book a vacation rental at the last minute, especially in the Hamptons, but this little property far exceeded our expectations. Very nice, clean room, beautiful pool, with easy access to the center of Hampton Bays town. We will back again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael P
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights & cant wait to come again before the summer ends! I came here with my family & it was perfect for us. From the cottage to the suites, everything was beautiful. It was clean & the service was great. The pool was amazing, very clean! The area was quiet & the staff were so friendly. Very happy with the place, would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
charlotte, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Stayed here two nights this week. No complaints. Very clean, comfortable, well maintained. Nice location on the water. Friendly staff. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Probably would be a good place to bring younger children.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Unfortunately, I had to cancel my stay at Colonial Shores. Upon cancellation, you are supposed to receive your full deposit back if you cancel before 2 weeks of your reservation. This is exactly what I did. It has been over a week since the cancellation, and I have yet to receive my $800 deposit. I feel disappointed and frustrated at this lack of professionalism. If you cancel, be sure to have them put the money back into your account over the phone so you can be sure you get it in a timely fashion!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Emily M
Westbury, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I don't know why anyone would complain. Our room was clean and new. The people were very nice and it was convenient to everything.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

My husband and I spent a week here with our sons. After checking the reviews, we decided to give it a try and they are all true! The property is lovely and very well kept. The view of the bay is exquisite! You can go fishing and crabbing right off the dock! The pool is clean and it's a family friendly environment. It's close to stores and restaurants as well as the Atlantis Marine World Aquarium. Our chamber maid Marguerite kept our room spotless and was such a joy. Whenever we needed somthing she was quick to get it. She was also very pleasant which is something you don't find often these days with service people. The owners are the same way. The husband changed our TV twice just so our boys could play their wii video games!. Folks you just don't get service like that anymore. Also, there is so much to do here we can't wait to go again next year! Thank you Colonial Shores NY for a beautiful and pleasant end to a long hot summer!! I give you five stars all the way around! Bravo!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Hotel Indigo East End
Hotel Indigo East End
#3 of 7 in Riverhead
4.0 of 5 stars 453 reviews

Been to Colonial Shores Resort? Share your experiences!