“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Hampton Bays
New York City, New York
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I'm very familiar with the Hampton Bays area as my mother in law used to live in nearby East Quogue. My husband and I have driven past Bowen's countless times but we had no idea of what a charming hotel it really is. We were in town for the weekend visiting family. I was just looking for a clean and convenient hotel to be close to where we were visiting family. I was very impressed with the previous reviews so I felt comfortable with my choice. Eileen was nothing but responsive and pleasant to deal with. The hotel room was spacious, clean and charming. Our king size bed was so comfortable! We had a little patio outside our sliding glass doors. The room had a small fridge. The ground are beautifully maintained and landscaped. Such pretty gardens and ambiance! We really were only there to sleep but we would definitely stay there again!!!

Room Tip: We had a hotel room but the cottages looked very charming if you want more space and can spend the e...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tigtige20002016

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Reading the extremely positive reviews of this place might give you a misimpression about what you should expect. If you want a homey, campy, rustic experience in a woodsy setting, you will not be disappointed. If you are looking for "Egyptian cotton" or "high thread counts," you will be very disappointed. Rooms are dated (think wood paneling), furniture is mismatched, beds are old, and bathrooms are tiny, but everything is clean. Think of the accommodations as what you would expect to find in a cabin in the woods. That said, the property is sandwiched between a busy road and the Long Island Railrod tracks, so you will hear either traffic or trains if you are on the periphery of the property (which most cabins are). There is a nice pool that is unheated, so it will be cold.

We stayed as a large group, and the owners were very accommodating.

Room Tip: I think the highway side might be quieter than the railroad tracks
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Erik G
North Babylon, New York
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband & I wanted to get away for a few days of relaxation....to celebrate our recent marriage. We were thrilled to find Bowen's by the Bays, a beautiful place where we could escape from our hectic lives & even include our Golden Retriever, Casey. Not only were the accommodations perfect for us, but the owners made us feel so at home. From the initial phone call to place the reservations, to reluctantly leaving and saying good-bye, we had a great feeling we had chosen the ideal vacation spot for us. We'll definitely make a return visit next summer.....and many more visits to come.

Room Tip: The cottages are nicely furnished, clean and VERY comfortable. The kitchen is fully stocked, so no n...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We felt welcomed since the initial contact with Bowen's. The owners are very friendly and the site is beautifully landscaped with a pool and tennis court and pretty gardens. We stayed in one of cute cottages with a nice porch and our own little garden, close to our parking space. The way the cottage faced gave us plenty of privacy, which was perfect as we had our Labrador Retriever with us. The bedroom, bath, kitchen and living room were clean and comfortable. We recommend the location of the hotel also as being central to that area of Long Island.

Room Tip: There is a little motel also as part of the property which is around toward the back of the property...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Delaware
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is my 7th year at Bowens by the Bays. Until this year, I rented a one room cottage for my Golden Retriever, Abigail and me. Abigail passed away last fall, and I now have a new 1 year old Golden, Isabelle. It was always peaceful and I only had my dog with me, and the time spent at Bowens was so very relaxing. With a new puppy in tow, I thought that this year might be time to change things up. At Eileen’s suggestion, I decided to upgrade to a 2 bedroom cottage and invite my daughter, her husband, and my two grandchildren (ages 1 and 3) for a few days. Since I have been so used to being alone with just my dog, I was not sure what to expect. What the trip enabled me to do was to see Bowens through different eyes. Since it was always just my dog and me, I was unable to notice the absolute “family atmosphere” that the Bowens provides. I think I was either out with my dog, or on the hammock reading. Watching the Bowens work all day is exhausting in and of itself! I witnessed Kevin, stopping guests to make sure everything was ok, and heard his signature phrase, “if you need anything, let us know”. I watched my grandchildren play on the Jungle Gym and the swings. I watched my older grandson stay in the pool almost all day and it was such a nice feeling seeing them that happy. For two nights, we cooked out and sat around and talked. Again, I always knew this was a family place, but this last trip really opened my eyes! I could not imagine going anywhere but Bowens, especially after this trip. The cottages are spotless, service second to none, and I saw quite a few families there, something else I never really noticed before. I was still able to take my dog to the bay and ocean (both scared the puppy), but we had a great time. The only thing I would have changed is that I would have had my entire family stay the whole week. When they left on Thursday night, I missed “family feeling” and some hustle and bustle of two young grandchildren! Bowens really does define a family vacation. Can’t wait till next year.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Love this place! It's quaint and has something for everyone (tennis, pool, mini golf). Close to shops and short drive to the Hamptons beach (Dune Rd). The owners are really nice and accommodating. We've been back for a few summers now.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The location could not be better for making yourself feel at home in the Hamptons. Very close to all kinds of food and beverage shopping as well as sundries. The staff, every one of them that we came in contact with, were really nice and helpful. The cottage we stayed in was dated and not glamorous BUT could not have been any cleaner or better equipped for making us feel comfortable. The setting is so sweet, so many flowers and shade trees, hammocks at each cottage. We will stay there again, a great choice for that east end getaway.

Room Tip: Cottages are perfect for families with or without pets.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampton Bays
Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead
The Hamlet Inn
The Hamlet Inn
#2 of 8 in Southampton

Been to Bowen's by the Bays? Share your experiences!