“Perfect stay for couples, families, and pets”

Bowen's by the Bays
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Hampton Bays
Brooklyn, New York
“Perfect stay for couples, families, and pets”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed on a weeknight in July without advance notice as we decided to extend our vacation and didn't want to return to the city heatwave.
A great value for a private cottage with strong AC, hammock, cable TV, comfortable and new. Had our dogs with us who behaved well and were comfortable. Staff was very welcoming and helpful. The pool was spotless and they were adding water to try to cool it off with the mid 90s temps. The grounds were well maintained and plenty of parking. Close to grocery and Petco if any items were needed.
Beaches were very nice and not crowded. Much better than going all the way to East Hampton or other pricier, far out areas.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Rego Park, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Looking for a relaxing setting in a woodsy environment? If your destination is Hampton Bays,don't look any further than Bowens by the Bays.Nice comfortably cooled rooms make sleeping an easy proposition.Large flat screen HDTV is available in your room for your viewing pleasure.Enjoy hamming it up in a hammock?Guess what?That is also available!Want to practice for your next tennis tournament?Go volley yourself silly on their tennis court.If becoming the next Michael Phelps is your goal,try lapping it up in their very comfortable pool.The proprietors,the Bowens,are very accommodating and will do their best to make your stay a very enjoyable experience.It was very difficult to leave at the end of my 4 day vacation,and I believe you will feel the same sentiment at the end of your stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
new york city
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife, toddler and I stayed here a few weeks ago, and we enjoyed our visit. The room was cozy and comfortable.

More importantly, Eileen was extremely kind to my son who was sick during the trip. As anybody with small children knows, traveling can be very stressful especially when a little one is sick.

Eileen was extremely helpful and made us feel very comfortable, even though we needed to call on her for extra help. I'm very appreciative and look forward to a return trip.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was a great place for us to stay with our lab this past weekend. Cute, clean pool, hammocks, and adorable cabins. The cabin was super clean, smelled like fresh laundry and had everything necessary for a week stay (we only were there one night). The bed was super comfy and the staff was really nice, very down to business. You get a treat bag when you check in- snacks are always welcome. It is about a 10 minute drive to the beaches, but a really direct route and the beaches are beautiful. Parking is free all the way down the end, to the left, after you cross the bridge there. Overall a really nice experience and a very comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I recognize my opinion may be clouded after sitting outside our cabin, on a very comfortable chair, listening to nothing but the birds, on a glorious June afternoon, enjoying a cool breeze, forgetting I'm in the middle of Long Island, NY. But staying at Bowen's by the Bays has a way of delivering that experience. Make sure you ask for a cabin, which are rustic and homey, but clean and complete with a full kitchen, a screen porch, and other amenities. This is more a motel, than B&B; they don't serve breakfast (though there are plenty of options a short drive into Hampton Bays). They allow pets in the cabins. The earlier comments from Lisa B, apal15 and Jim D are right on target. So, enjoy!

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had been thinking about visiting the Hamptons for some time now and finally bit the bullet and made a reservation about 2 months ago. I emailed Eileen and she was very prompt with a reply, along with various dates that fit my requirements. I "booked" the room and sent in my deposit check and once she received it, she sent me a confirmation email.

There aren't many places in the area that takes dogs and Bowen's had the best reviews. Not cheap by any standards, but then again, they do offer a niche product.

We had the Columbine cottage, which is a one bedroom closest to the office, and closest to the highway. I'm not sure where the LIRR tracks are, but there are definitely times when we can hear the trains honking their horns (and why do they do that in the middle of the night?!) Living so close to the highway proved to be quite noisy one night as well -- my husband and I must've woken up at least 4 times during the night due to loud noises either coming from the highway or through the driveway. There was even one time when it sounded like someone threw something at our door?

Aside from the noise issues, the cottage is very quaint. We have never been to a B&B so cannot compare. There was a full kitchen, which came in handy when I wanted to fix some food for my son. The microwave was broken and a call to the "front desk" corrected this pretty quickly. The bedroom was a bit small; it fit a full sized bed and a mini crib that my son slept in. There are a/c units in both the bedroom and the livingroom. The furniture is slightly dated and mismatched and there was a lot of wood paneling everywhere but this is also what I pictured most B&Bs to look like. The bathroom only had a standing shower, and since I knew this beforehand, I brought a small inflatable tub for my son to use.

Bowen's is right across the street from a Stop & Shop and a McDonald's, which was quite convenient for some necessities as well as a quick breakfast.

The main strip that is a few minutes drive from Bowen's is quite small and there isn't much to see there, but this was expected from a small town. I have heard that Hampton Bay is the "poor people's Hamptons" and it is reflected by the types of people and houses in the area.

We did drive out towards Mattituck (for Harbes Farm) and East Hampton and it made a world of difference.

Aside from the noise issues, we wouldn't mind coming back to Bowen's.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed in one of the pet friendly cottages, but you would never know it. Very clean and seems on the new side, nice enclosed porch and plenty of room outside to sit and enjoy the lovely grounds. The cottage that we stayed in is close to the highway, which I thought would be distracting but turned out not to be an issue at all. Eileen was very helpful with any questions I had with the area. Pool looked lovely but didn't have a chance to use it. One area restaurant that was very good is Cowfish.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead
The Hamlet Inn
The Hamlet Inn
#2 of 8 in Southampton

Been to Bowen's by the Bays? Share your experiences!