“Lovely vintage motel, freshly redone”

Vinehurst Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Hammondsport
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I came to Hammondsport to help a friend celebrate a big birthday. After finding out that most of the B&B's were closed in Winter (Dec 1) one of them recommended Vinehurst Inn. This is an older motel that has had quite a bit of interior work done. The inside of our room (#8) was near the office on the ground floor and had a safe feeling. We were pleasantly surprised at the freshness of the room, crisp sheets, fabulously lush, bright-white towels, very clean bathroom and lots of light in the room from very large windows on 2 sides of the room. The back windows looked out on a meadow, which I liked a lot.

Only 2 things were a bit jarring: The TV was pretty old school, small screen with a remote that sort of worked if you held it just-so. Also, the bathtub was child sized, not for tall or large people which fortunately didn't matter to us as we are shower people.

Unexpected treat, the retro heater in the bathroom made our towels nice and warm! Also, there was an old fashion soda pop opener attached to the bathroom door next to the tub, which, come to think about it made a perfectly sized ice cooler.

The lady in the office with the cute little baby (LOVED this family aspect to the motel) told us about a very nice Ice Cream Parlour in "the square" where we had a very decent breakfast with the locals.

Room Tip: #8 had very large windows and lots of natural light coming in.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pattie B

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed here for an anniversary/birthday/wine-tasting weekend. I looked at some B and B's, but since we wouldn't be in the room a lot, this seemed like a better value and more flexibility. We had a king-sized suite with a whirlpool in the sitting room, with robes thoughtfully provided. The room was super clean, service really friendly, and free breakfast was great. Overall, a really positive experience, and I was glad of my choice. I think our room may have been in a newer addition to the inn - it was very spacious and nice. Had fridge and microwave if you are so inclined. The inn is family run by friendly and helpful people.

The one negative was that the walls were a tiny bit thin - the first night we could hear some car doors slamming, whirlpool motor from room next door, etc. There was no coffeemaker or ironing board in the room, but I also didn't ask for these and they may have been provided on request if I had.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kitty33_10
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We chose the Vinnehurst Inn and Suites based on the reviews. It was very clean and nicely decorated. We were very close to all of the local attractions and restaurants. The Oliver's have done a great job breathing new life into the inn.

Veterans and military are given a wonderful discount because this is a veteran owned establishment. So don't forget your ID.

We had a wonderful time and look forward to returning.

The Breens from the Poconos

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank helenebreen
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My significant other and I were staying in the Hammondsport area for a weekend event. We wanted to enjoy a little Western, NY culture. So we decided to stay at the Vinehurst Inn. On our arrival we met a friendly staff, who happened to be the new owners. The Oliver’s are an extremely nice family. They gave us a lot of good information about the area and the hotel’s history. Room was nice and clean, bed was amazing, and bathroom was a good size. We didn’t make the breakfast due to our early morning departure. I definitely plan to stay again, and will HIGHLY recommend too others.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I chose this hotel because of its very close proximity to the restaurant I was taking my girlfriend for our anniversary weekend, where I was planning to propose. So you can imagine that my expectations were high and I was hyper sensitive to minute details. We arrived after a long day of wine tasting noshing and were greeted by a a woman who had a lot to say and plenty of attitude and wit- she was in great spirits considering how pregnant she was- knew lots about the area so I could tell she was local. The suite I had booked was very clean with a nice comfy bed and pretty view of the wilderness behind it. There was a btl of local bubbly in the fridge they must have put there for me as I had forwarned them that it was a special weekend. They quality was mediocre (but solid for NYS) but I am used to sipping grower champagne so I am a snob basically. It was a nice gesture and thats what counts. We had a great dinner at the Pleasant Valley Inn and I proposed and it was memorable and all that stuff.. we checked out the next day and got to meet the family that recently purchased this hotel that they have put much time and effort into restoring and rejuvenating. Its nice to see veteran owned small businesses prospering.
As far as the jerk who was complaining about small toilets I was completely satisfied with my sitting experiences, maybe he has a huge butt?

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank winenerdcron
Reviewed October 16, 2012

A toilet in a hotel bathroom is a basic human necessity and we spent 2 and a half days concerned that we might actually have to use the toilet in our bathroom. We had to try and take advantage of the use of public toilets while out and about visiting wineries and restaurants. If your butt while sitting is the same size as this miniature toilet bowl was, then you won’t have any problem with the paper work. The undersized toilet in our room was tucked away in a small very confining space that does not accommodate average size people or larger. We complained at the front desk and asked to change rooms since our friend’s room toilet accommodations were normal and not in a confined space. We were most disappointed in the pregnant woman at the front desk who took a non-sympathetic stance with us stating that no one has ever complained about this before and refused to switch our room. I’d be willing to bet that she too would struggle using our assigned toilet. We were riding with friends or I would have left. You’d think you could at least get an accommodating toilet with this hotel charging 120 bucks a night plus tax. I won’t stay there again. It made for a very uncomfortable experience in what should have been a glorious weekend in New York wine country.

Room Tip: Stay the hell out of number 21.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Keith F
Reviewed October 3, 2012

It's a nice inn. The highway is right in front of the inn. I know that the address indicate a highway but I thought the inn might be on a hill or further in. I saw other hotels which fits the description I mentioned. We had a suite it was nice. Had a small kitchen. One of my issue was a very musty smell in the room. I mentioned it to the front desk and they said that they would take care of it. We came back later on at night and the smell was still there. There is a pergola in front and you get the view of the cars passing by and the cars parked around it. The continental breakfast no biggie. Mini muffins, croissants,coffee and fruits. We brought some eggs and made breakfast in the room. Not much to do at the inn. The back of the inn doesn't have anything to offer. No chairs or tables. Another pergola should be added in the back. The inn was a pit stop for us. We slept and got ready to do other activities: Wine Trail, Jazz Festival (Corning) and Glass Museum (Corning). I don't get the town logo: "The coolest small town". There is nothing to do there. One good thing is the inn gave us a bottle of champagne for our anniversary and a card. That was a very nice touch.The front desk is very informative. You can go to them for tips and suggestions.I guess my problem was the price $160 @ night. Way overpriced. I am not sure if I would go back unless the prices were much cheaper.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Letin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hammondsport
Best Western Plus The Hammondsport Hotel
Super 8 Bath Hammondsport Area
Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel
Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel
#1 of 9 in Watkins Glen

Been to Vinehurst Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!