“Excellent Food”

Dining options: Reservations
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had dinner with another couple here on our vacation and the food was VERY good! The quality of ingredients and preparation very apparent and desert is not to be missed! Reservations are a necessity. Highly recommend this restaurant for a leisurely fine dining experience. Beautiful old home with a B & B.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Sherry M

Harbeson, Delaware
“Good food, Service above average”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I took my husband to Hammondsport for a surprise birthday weekend away. Hammondsport was voted one of the 10 Coolest small towns in America, so I thought it would be a good find.

Pleasant Valley Inn is rated #1 of restaurants in Hammondsport, so of course that's where I took my husband for his birthday dinner. We were greeted warmly and brought to our linen covered table promptly. The building is a very quaint older home, with wine grape vines bordering the parking lot. It has a more formal feel, but I'm sure you don't need to be dressed up to be served.

We ordered a bottle of wine. They offer a few specials, which sound great. Looking over the menu I was a little disappointed because there wasn't much for someone like myself that doesn't eat meat, and only some fish. Unfortunately, the only fish on the menu is salmon wrapped in proscuitto (so not good for me), and two shrimp dishes (which I'm not crazy about). One of the specials was a scallop dish that previous reviewers had raved about, so I went with the scallops. The scallops arrived, believe there were six on the plate. Nicely sprinkled with bread crumbs and sauteed. Also on the plate were some small potatoes, sliced in half, seasoned and sauteed, and that was it. The presentation was not very attractive with white potatoes and white scallops. I expect more from such a highly rated restaurant. Anyone that's made scallops more than a few times knows to remove the connection tissue. Unfortunately I found the connective tissue still on some of my scallops. Disappointing.

Their menu states that their steaks are whole loins of choice western beef, all hand cut in house, trimmed and charbroiled to order. So, my husband went with the New York Strip. With all that hand picking and in house cutting and trimming, you would expect a delectable steak. The first bite my husband took was so grizzly he actually couldn't swallow it, and took it out of his mouth! Not the fine dining experience I was hoping for.

We did have dessert, but to be honest I can't remember what it was, so I guess it must have been okay, but nothing to write about.

I'd have to say the best part about Pleasant Valley Inn was the attentive staff.

1 Thank Enjoying_Life27
Rochester, New York
“Fine Dining in Hammonsport, NY”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The. Pleasant Valley Inn is one of the best restaurants in the Finger Lakes Region. I had heard many great reviews from friends about this restaurant and after experiencing it for myself it is easy to see why people rave about this amazing restaurant. It is a little pricey but well worth the money for special occasions. Dress is casual and the atmosphere in a renovated home from the 1800's is very comfortable. Every aspect of the experience was exceptional. The service, the selection, appetizers, soups, salad, dessert, and of course the meal. The owner visited our table 3 times briefly but to insure everything was to our satisfaction. The selection of wine for a glass is minimal and the wine selection average but adequate. If you are looking to celebrate a special occasion and experience a truly great meal you will not be disappointed at The Pleasant Vally Inn.

1 Thank vstar44
Ottawa, Canada
“Wonderful, romantic atmosphere”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had a wonderful meal in a lovely, romantic atmosphere. The server was very helpful and friendly. The owner came around a couple times to see how everything was going, and spent time chatting with us. I loved their unusual menu, and the food was delicious. As an appetizer, I had dates stuffed with a mild gorgonzola cheese and wrapped in prosciutto ham, and for the main meal, grilled pork with roasted peaches and balsamic reduction. My husband had giant shrimps in cream sauce, and then pan-seared scallops with rosemary potatoes. For dessert, we had limoncello cake, which was delightfully lemony, but thankfully had no taste of alcohol. The only thing we were disappointed about, was that they do not offer espresso coffee, which would have been the final touch to a perfect meal.

Another nice thing about this restaurant is that they don’t squeeze in as many tables as they can, so there is a fair amount of space between the tables. This is especially nice when you’re out for a romantic dinner!

1 Thank gattara3
Rochester
“Great food and service to match”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife had a shrimp dish with tomatos that was fantastic. The shrimp were cooked perfectly and the tomatos must have been locally grown. I had a steak topped with a crab cake and mashed potatos. Our server was very friendly and attentive and the owner came by to check on us twice. The food was outstanding. The atmoshpere is formal but laid back. I would defintely go back the next time I am in town.

1 Thank RochesterDan