“Getting better every year”
Review of Heron Hill Winery

Heron Hill Winery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Heron Hill Winery is nestled into a hillside overlooking scenic Keuka Lake in New York's Finger Lakes region. For over 35 years, Heron Hill has won many awards for its distinctive, elegant wines and continues to be at the forefront of cool climate winemaking. Establishing our heritage among some of the first vinifera wineries in the Finger Lakes, John and Josephine Ingle founded Heron Hill Winery in 1977. Through perseverance and long-term dedication to excellence in winemaking, Heron Hill Winery has become a world-class destination. Heron Hill remains family-owned. For the Ingles, practicing sustainably is a way of life and means giving respect. Respect for the land in how we farm our estate vineyards, and respect for the consumer by offering wines with an authentic sense of place and by providing visitors with a friendly and informative experience. Today, Heron Hill offers over 20 wine varieties; crisp and light Rieslings, aromatic dry Chardonnays, the winery's legendary Eclipse series, complex Pinot Noirs and Cabernet Francs, and specially crafted dessert wines. They are celebrating their 40th anniversary in 2017!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We've visited Heron Hill every year since 2009. The tasting room has a beautiful view (and neat custom pottery), and the servers have been knowledgeable and informative. We prefer semi-sweet white wines, and have been regular purchasers of their Rieslings (including late harvest).
This year was an exceptionally good experience for us. Our server Jason was great, working with us to expand our pallets. We enjoyed (and purchased) 3 different Rieslings this trip (dry, semi-dry, and semi-sweet) and in our opinion it's their best we've tasted. We were also pleasantly surprised by their unoaked Chardonnay, which we also purchased. We then enjoyed a nice lunch overlooking the lake. We can't wait to see what they will have next summer!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had a good time at the tasting. Good wine and informative people. We tried, liked and bought several bottles on their white blend. Great for spicy food.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

A good variety of wines with reasonable prices. Wines were presented with very good descriptions. Easy to get to and I would visit again. A nice view go Keuka Lake..

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I'm a fan of Heron Hill for it's spectacular view and incredible reserve wines. This is THE winery for red wines in the region. Sadly, the customer service doesn't come close to the level of wine served.

During my first visit to Heron Hill 2 years ago, most of my party left the tasting room in the middle of their tasting. Admittedly, the winery was packed. Too packed. I mean, there were probably 3-4 lines of people waiting behind each person tasting. I brushed off the impoliteness of the servers because they were obviously over worked. (PS: They were not only impolite, but serving us wines that we hadn't selected and rushing us out the door.)

I returned this past weekend and was so happy that the winery wasn't that busy because I fully expected to be treated better. When our group of 7 arrived, we were met by an impolite server who kept insisting that we would have to break up our group. I told him that we had no problem waiting until there was room for us to taste together AND people moved down the table for us to fit in. Still, he insisted our group HAD to split up.

In walks Keo, a server who is so good I remember him from 2 years ago when he was employed at a different winery in the region. He completely saved the day. He happily accommodated our party. Offered suggestions to some of friends who were wine tasting newbs and patiently dealt with 7 high maintenance ladies on my bachelorette party. He earned himself a hefty tip and sealed the deal on us purchasing over $500 in wines. He is an incredible asset to this winery and I'm quite happy that someone as knowledgeable as he is now at my fave Keuka Lake winery.

Heron Hill is lovely and I will return again, but took off a star because the customer service is really lacking.

1  Thank wandering t
ErinatHeronHill, Manager at Heron Hill Winery, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

I appreciate your feedback. Keo has been a great recent addition to our team and we hope your future visits to Heron Hill continue to exceed expectations. We are always striving to improve the visitor experience.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The view here is amazing. Heron Hill has different flights for it's tastings. We usually gravitate to the Ingle Vineyard label and are never disappointed.

1  Thank Richard G

We're so happy to hear how much you enjoy our winery! Yes - we're lucky to be located in such a remarkable place and we're very proud of the wines that have come from our Ingle Vineyard site over the years.