“We hadn't eaten at the Colgate Inn for several years”
Review of Colgate Inn

Colgate Inn
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Colgate Inn offers fine American cuisine in a relaxing atmosphere. No matter what you are in the mood for, the Colgate Inn has the atmosphere and fare to suit.
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I hadn't seen the inside of the restaurant since the renovations. The space is much larger, but I miss the more elegant look it used to have. The new decor kind of looks Germanic to me, almost like a beer hall, but I guess it's good for a college town.
We went to meet a business associate because the food there used to be very good, but this visit, it was kind of uneven. The calamari appetizer was cold when we got it, so they gave us another plate which was perfectly cooked and delicious and I loved the Asian sweet and hot sauce that came with it. My pot roast was a little too salty on the outside, but was well-cooked and delicious on the inside. The portion was surprisingly small. Perfect for me though. The veggies were so so. My husband had the ahi tuna, which really wasn't very good, although the serving was quite a robust size. I'm not sure what our business associate had, he didn't comment on it at all.
We were puzzled because the time we asked for our reservation wasn't available so we had to change our meeting time, but the restaurant had plenty of tables available before and during our meal and when we left.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

This building is the 'grand dame' of Hamilton and is situated in a commanding position at the end of the village green. We decided to eat dinner here and, overall, had a good experience. First, the young lady who seated us very nicely accommodated our request to be away from an air vent - she listened and cared. Our server was friendly and welcoming; however, there were some inconsistencies which we experienced which could easily be remedied. First, we both ordered the spinach salad -- it was absolutely excellent, with blueberries, strawberries and blue cheese -- but mine arrived immediately and, after 5-6 minutes, we inquired about the second salad, which then arrived forthwith, complete with apologies. Second, we ordered the salmon and the chicken/vegetable pot pie as entrees. The salmon was quite good, well seasoned and not overcooked. The pot pie, however, lacked texture and suffered from what tasted like too much cheese. Lastly, we were initially hesitant about going there for dinner because we had been driving for several hours and were very casually dressed. This, however, did not seem to present a problem and - while we were grateful to be seated - it seems as though the Inn can't figure out what it wants to be. Perhaps there should be 2 distinct dining areas - one more formal, one more casual. Just a thought.

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Great food, great service, great atmosphere, and value good for what was served. Just excellent! We ate outside on the porch on a Tuesday evening and watched all the classic cars park along Main Street. Food came out really fast and waitstaff/bartender was phenomenal. Best meal I've had out in a while!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We're visiting our son who lives in Hamilton, and this was our first visit to the Colgate Inn. We called ahead for reservations, since it was Friday night. The service was excellent, and the food was superlative! My son and I both had the chicken pot pie. It had a delicious sauce and an interesting cheesy crust. I couldn't finish my huge portion. My husband enjoyed the Yankee pot roast. I ordered the lemon cake for dessert. It was served with such pretty garnishes, and the cake and sauce on it were very flavorful. The men said their Toll House pie was great. We'll definitely want to eat here again next time we come to this area! It's obviously a favorite spot for the local people.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The food is great, the atmosphere casual, and the prices fairly high. But the quality of the food makes it worth the price.

The choices run the gamit of soups, salads, and sandwiches to high-class entrees. I had the New England lobster roll one night and the Lobster Mac & Cheese (which also had linguica sausage and peas) another night. Both were delicious. It is a good spot for either business or personal dining.