“Ragged around the edges and rundown. Small rooms, tiny beds”
Review of Colgate Inn

and 1 more site!
Colgate Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton
Vancouver, Washington
“Ragged around the edges and rundown. Small rooms, tiny beds”
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Our family stayed here during a college scouting trip to Colgate University. The Colgate Inn is a rundown hotel, rough and ragged around the edges and desperately in need of a makeover. The hotel's website prominently features a nice looking exterior of what the property will look like after its long-delayed renovation plan, but don't be deceived because it certainly doesn't look anything like that now. The "renovation plan" that was supposed to have begun in June 2010 still hadn't begun as of August 2010 and it is still probably a long way off. We had two connecting rooms on the second floor. They were supposed to be a Queen Bed (no kings available) connecting to a room with two doubles. The rooms were both extremely small and the beds were extremely tiny in both rooms. It was impossible to move around the room without bumping into something. As I was checking out, I told the perky woman at the front desk that if the bed in my room was truly a Queen, then I was the Queen of England. That made her laugh. She said something about the beds in the hotel being four inches smaller than a queen for some odd reason. Sleeping in that small bed made for an uncomfortable night. The bathrooms were clean and basic. The Colgate Inn is the biggest hotel around the small town of Hamilton, and is used as a meal and meeting spot for all kinds of civic and business functions. The dining room was swamped by one group the night we checked in and unavailable. Eating outside is an unappealing option here. This is basic, no frills. The breakfast buffet was OK but extremely limited. As far as a lunch or dinner meal goes, I would strongly recommend one of the small restaurants in town, or try the nearby golf course. There is a pretty good restaurant and offer the option of dining outside on the patio overlooking the 18th green. Nicer than the Colgate Inn by a long shot! The Colgate Inn was barely tolerable for a one night stay. Let the buyer beware. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelingManVan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Watertown, New York
Reviewed August 6, 2010

I understand that the Colgate Inn is a Historical Land mark but, the rooms are past that, they need to be updated, the carpet had snags you could clip those, furniture that needs to be refinished. For the price you have to pay, it is not worth it. This use to be a nice place to dine, but if you plan on holding a special event there think again. I went to a wedding and OMG!!! the servers need a lesson in serving, if you need to be someplace else at a certain time then they will get you there as the rush you right through dinner. The bar was set up poorly, you usually have an open bar first then go to cash bar while serving dinner, so to keep people in their seats, come on you need a new manager for your events. Oh the bar staff were very friendly they were about the only one's.

• Stayed July 2010
Orinda, California
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I read the reviews of this place and was not sure I wanted to stay here, but I loved it!
The front desk staff were very nice and helpful. The room was clean and very comfortable, and the restaurant staff were very friendly. We did not eat in the restaurant, but I ordered a piece of their (famous) chocolate chip cookie pie to take to the room, and at least three restaurant staff stopped to talk to me while I waited for it to be ready.

I really enjoyed my stay here.

The hotel did not have a fitness center, but use of the Colgate University athletic facilities was included. We took advantage of this option, and were happy to do so. Colgate athletic facilities are old and being upgraded but it was still so nice to have a complete gym to use. It was so much better than the usual little hotel fitness room.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank likecomfy
Maryland
Reviewed April 27, 2010

We stayed here for one night while visiting Colgate College. The college is about one minute down the road.

The inn is very charming, though we felt somewhat out of place due to the proper atmosphere. I felt like I should have been wearing a blazer to fit in. Our experience was fine. The room is quite worn and the mattresses looked quite saggy, but the room was clean and the Cable TV worked. The Bath and Body Works soaps were a nice touch. The only noise we heard that night was the patter of the rain.

The complimentary breakfast was excellent, with a huge fresh fruit salad.

It seemed a little pricey, but you can't beat the location and there are not too many choices of hotels. The hotel is located just off the main intersection in town and there is at least one restaurant and a couple of pizza joints to choose from.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Vermont
Reviewed April 19, 2010

Hotel is fine as long as you don't take a bath. I was pleased to see the room had a jacuzzi tub, but when I turned on the jets, black mold came shooting out. Needless to say, it wasn't the relaxing experience I was hoping for. Aside from that, the room was small but adequate, staff is friendly, and the location is great. The food in the restaurant was also good.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Madi_D9
New England
Reviewed October 31, 2009

Terrific stay! I was graciously received, had a nice room with all the amenities including Wi-Fi and complimentary continental breakfast. Dinner in their tavern was very good – friendly staff, nice atmosphere, imaginative food. They care enough to bring in local produce, artisan baked goods (admittedly from an affiliated company), feature seasonal menu items, and to have 5 local craft brews on tap. All for less than the price of a typical Hampton Inn. For context, I accumulated enough Hilton Honors points in 2008 for my family to stay nine free nights in Italy, so I’ve been in a few hotels. I cannot fathom the negative comments. If you are looking for a sterile experience in an anonymous, cookie-cutter hotel whose idea of breakfast is Trix and Sugar Pops served on Styrofoam with plastic utensils, complemented by a Costco box of muffins and sweet rolls, then stay at a Hampton, you’ll be happy there. If you like human interaction with the staff, a welcoming atmosphere, real plates, metal utensils, and table cloths, then the Colgate Inn is a step up for no incremental money. Oh, and you can actually take a walk around picturesque Hamilton, as opposed to being stuck on a highway access road five miles out of town across the way from the Anywhere, USA mall (Applebee’s, anyone?). Do I have quibbles? I have quibbles with every place I have ever stayed. The breakfast room is too dark and cold, the Wi-Fi seems slow. Yes, the bathroom is small, so what, I was not planning on holding meetings in there. I guess they should put out free coffee and cookies in the lobby, like other hotels do. That's about it in the complaints dept.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank eastgrand
new york ny
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I am an alum who was supposed to speak at Colgate. I had to cancel more than 24 hours before the reservation due to illness, and was charged the full price of the room. I was not told of the 48 hour cancellation policy when I booked the room. I will never stay at the Colgate Inn again. The University might get more alumni donations if their alumni were treated better.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank jbcstrong
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford
#2 of 6 in Hamilton
The Checkered Moose Inn
The Checkered Moose Inn
#2 of 2 in Sherburne

Been to Colgate Inn? Share your experiences!