“DID SOMEBODY SAY "EXQUISITE"?”
Review of Colgate Inn

Colgate Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Well...yes...I did! After last year's IMPECCABLE experience when my wife and stayed here during a Colgate University event. Truth is, Colgate event or not, the Colgate Inn is not only the only place to stay - assuming you're lucky enough to get in - but the best place to stay (by far) and worthy of any World-class operation. It's worthy of that appellation because of the people operating it (one of several properties owned by the same family I believe); EVERYONE from check-in to the entire restaurant staff are consummate professionals and all aim to please...and boy do they deliver. I've stayed all over the world and the Colgate Inn ranks among the very best!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Colgate Inn

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed one night. This is a beautiful historic inn with 40 rooms. It has been remodeled and the result is pleasant and comfortable.

Hamilton is a small college town. The college is a short drive from the inn and has a gorgeous campus. Hamilton has a movie theater, shops and a few other eating establishments besides what the inn offers. Canal Barge Coffee House is a short walk from the inn and has great coffee.

A decent parking lot is located behind the inn. We were able to park our micro-motor home easily. As other reviewers have already stated, the rooms are tastefully decorated, spacious and clean. The staircase is stunning. The Tavern is a great place to either eat dinner or hang out with a drink. The staff was very friendly and gracious. There is also an outside seating area which is enjoyable to sit and watch the downtown activities, weather permitting. Would return again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is clearly the nicest hotel in Hamilton and it has a spectacular location. I would definitely recommend staying here, especially if you are visiting Colgate. (Or, there are a few nice B&Bs.) The school has taken over the Colgate Inn and decorated it quite tastefully. It looks like an early American house with dark wood molding against Colonial Blue walls, 4 poster beds and wool rugs. There are Hunt Country paintings of dogs and horses. In the lobby, there are cozy nooks to sit in with a book. Rooms are very attractive with elegant furnishings and excellent bathrooms. However, they are not over the top cushy or luxurious. For instance, I was surprised they didn't have mini fridges. Beds are beautiful but not out of this world comfortable. Pillows were surprisingly hard - not down. The other thing that surprised me was that the front desk staff was not as friendly as everyone else in town (Hamilton is a super friendly place). The 2 young women at the desk when we checked in might have been students or at least around that age. They seemed put out to answer our questions. I'm not sure if they need better training or they were inexperienced or maybe I am just making excuses for them. There is no excuse for not being welcoming and warm when guests check in. So, definitely stay here. You won't be disappointed in the charming atmosphere. But I hope you get friendlier staff and I hope the owners consider upgrading the pillows.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank PHguide
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at the Colgate Inn. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The service was superb and the atmosphere was excellent. We will certainly suggest it to our friends and we will be back. We were only about 10 minutes away from the Madison-Bouckville Antique Show so the location was ideal. Colgate University is a short walk away. What a beautiful campus.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

I recently visited the Colgate Inn and stayed in a Queen size bedroom. The decor of the room and bathroom was clean and beautiful. This really is the only place to stay in Hamilton. The only reason I didn't award it 5 stars overall is because the walls were extremely thin and the bedroom and bathroom were tiny. I felt as I was vacationing with the people next to me since I heard their conversation and smelled their room service food. The Tavern was delicious and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We have had the pleasure of staying at the Inn for the four years our son attended Colgate University. Being part of the Men's Lacrosse family, we spent many weekends enjoying the amazing hospitality where many special events were hosted, friends gathered and cherished memories were made. Imagine our delight to return a few weekends ago and take in all the fabulous changes. What impressed us most was the modernization without losing the wonderful warmth and charm. The rooms are beautifully updated and appointed. The slightly extended footprint, makes the Tavern and adjoining dining rooms spacious yet still warm and inviting. The scrumptious breakfasts, lunch and dinners all feature locally produced ingredients - produce, fresh yoghurt, meat etc. We would be remiss not to mention those special persons who have made our stays a home away from home - Ben the proprietor, Peter the Director of Operations, Dennis the Hotel Manager, Kelly the best server ever and Glen the bartender. Each adds their personal touch that makes the Colgate Inn an experience worth repeating. We wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Caryl M
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Recently renovated. Small clean rooms with rustic flavor. Hard to get reservations during Colgate functions so book as far ahead as you can.

• Stayed: August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford
Homewood Suites By Hilton New Hartford Utica
Patricia's Guest House
Patricia's Guest House
#2 of 6 in Hamilton

Been to Colgate Inn? Share your experiences!