“Worth a visit!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Albany, New York
“Worth a visit!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were vacationing nearby and decided to head out for dinner. After searching online, we decided to try out La Iguana in Hamilton. It was a Friday night and the restaurant was very busy. We had roughly a 15 minute wait to be seated, and were luckily because those after us had to wait much longer. It was quite loud in there due to the restaurant being so busy, and the growing crowd of people "just standing around" (that's literally all you can do, I guess) waiting for tables. We were 3 people sitting at a table made for 2, and couldn't hear each other talk without raising or voices. The decor was fine. The place didn't seem dirty and the bathroom was clean (even with the crowd).

The wait staff was friendly, if not seemingly overwhelmed by the people. Our waitress took our order in a timely manner, but we didn't get our chips and salsa for about 20 minutes after being seated. That's about 18 minutes too long, especially when you have to wait a while for food and were waiting to be seated. Heck, we're hungry! And, when we asked for more, since we finished them before our appetizer came, they never came. The chips were average, and the salsa was pretty good.

We had "Yuca Fries" as our appetizer. They were pretty good, but seemed quite over salted. After rubbing some of the seasoning off, they were pretty good. I actually preferred them to regular fries. For our entrée, we all got burritos. My wife and daughter both got the chicken, and I got the Carne Asada, or "Funjito" as they call it). It's basically a fajita, wrapped in a tortilla. They were a decent size but not large enough that you should have any to take home, and all very good. I think we were all happy with our meals. The hanger steak was seasoned well, and the chicken wasn't dry. We realized that we each ordered what we usually get at Chipotle's, so the comparisons started. Although a little smaller than a Chipotle burrito, 2/3 of us liked the La Iguana ones better. They tasted more "homemade", which I assume they were since the sign outside said they were! We were full enough by the end of the meal, and didn't order any dessert.

Overall, very good food wise, the wait staff was friendly and the prices were very reasonable. My only dings are that it took too long to get any chips (and we never got more when we asked), they need a better way to handle a crowd of waiting people than just having them stand there… it just makes everything more loud.

If you're in the mood for some decent Mexican food in an unexpected place, I'd suggest giving it a try!

• Visited September 2013

“Don't waste your time or money!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This place is only in existence due the fact that it is one of about five restaurants in town. My son attends College in town and so we have tried it several times thinking it would get better. It didn't. The wait for food boarders on ridiculous. Each time it was close to an hour. The food quality was poor, it was nothing that I could not have made in my home kitchen, which is pretty bad frankly. The lack of service is ridiculous. I truly can't say anything positive about it. We had to ask repeatedly for drinks. It was a huge disappointment because we love Mexican type food-go to another restaurant in town, you will be glad you did!!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank 1happychick4
Garrett Park
“Our traditional meal in Hamilton”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The veggie dishes are pretty good, and not smothered in cheese. Service is good. It's dependable Mexican food a notch or two above most Mexican restaurants.

Visited July 2013
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Tasty Mexican & Tapas in Hamilton”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

La Iguana has a nice atmosphere (if a bit noisy), and on the night I was there, the service was excellent and the food was tasty. The waitress was attentive and happily answered my questions. She was also very willing to substitute guacamole (which I wanted to try because it had been very well reviewed on this site--deservedly). I would have appreciated it if she had told me that the substitution would add $3.75 to the bill, but then, I didn't ask if it would be extra.

The chili relleno I had can be ordered with cheese and beef for the filling, or cheese and beans & veggies. I got the veggie version, which ended up being a lot of filling compared to the chile. Unlike most rellenos, there was no coating on the chile. It was unusual, but very tasty. They have a very nice and unusual side of roasted corn and zucchini in a nice sauce, which was a nice change from the standard beans that usually accompanies Mexican entrees.

If I find myself in Hamilton again, I will likely come back to La Iguana to try some of the other tasty-looking offerings on the menu.

• Visited June 2013
central New York
“nice lunch after hitting the Hamilton farmer's market”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I stopped in for a quick bite after taking in the awesome farmer's market on Saturday. The meal started off with house-made tortilla chips and salsa. Both were tasty -- salsa much more watery than my preference, but the flavor was nice. Nice selection of beer, wine, and cocktails, including several draft selections from Good Nature Brewing (tasting room located next door!).
We both had burritos, I went with pork and the BF went with chicken. While there wasn't anything that stood out to make this an exceptional meal, we both enjoyed our burritos, and we would definitely go back to see what else the menu had to offer. The service was EXCELLENT!

• Visited June 2013