“Loved it”

Cuisines: Chinese
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2011

Soups were made with REAL stocks rice was amazing all around awesome! Seriously eat here you will love it!

1 Thank tattooedxmama13

New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Again!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

My family and I have been eating at this restaurant my entire life. It has gone through a few name/management/chef changes, and is best known to me as the Manchurian House. I have read some of the poor reviews of this place, and have to agree with its decline up until my family (we were 9 people altogether) ate here recently; it was an absolutely wonderful experience.

I live in New York City now, and have pretty high expectations for what a good dining experience should be - our dinner at Top Island was great. For a place that does mainly take-out (I expect, since there were no other customers in the dining room while we were there) the service is perfection. Our waitress was friendly, helpful, and even went out of her way to alert us that one of our cars had its headlights on in the parking lot!

The food was all delicious. It came out quickly, was wonderfully seasoned, portioned well, and made for yummy leftovers the next day. Some of my favorites were the Mu-Shu with chicken, the wonton soup, and the sesame chicken. Other hits were the steamed dumplings, the spring rolls, and lo-mein noodles.

I never write reviews, but I love this restaurant and hope it thrives. I highly recommend it!!!

1 Thank laurel18
Arcade, NY
“Yuck....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

I used to go there many years ago, and after a long hiatus from the area, visited again with my wife, along the way telling her "this is the best in the area." Wow, was I mistaken. A bad sign was that we were the only people in there between 5pm and 6pm on a Saturday night! The service was very slow for some reason, the decor looked so bad that I joked that even Chef Ramsey couldn't fix this joint, and the place was not too clean. The bar area looked unused, with boxes stacked all over, and full of dust. The meal itself was so greasy that the grease sat at the bottom of all the plates, and it was so well-cooked that I think they could have even deep-fried the noodles! Terrible food...actually the worst I have ever had in my lifetime. Avoid at any and all costs, or don't say I didn't warn you....

Hamburg, NY USA
“Multiple ownership changes has led to poor quality food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2008

The Lam family owned Manchurian House for 21 years before selling it several years ago. They were fantastic and the food was among the best Chinese you'd ever have. Manchurian was well known for being the best Chinese in the WNY area. Kenny Lam had some fantastic recipes.

Unfortunately, the Lams wanted to downsize and focus more on takeout than the dining room, and sold the place. Ownership has since changed multiple times, and the food quality has never come even remotely close to the quality and flavors of the original owners (who by the way are back in business at the corner of Clark and McKinley with a new restaurant called Ginger & Garlic).

Manchurian survives today based on the name and reputation built up over many years by the original owners. The food you get today is typical low quality flavorless jack-in-the box American Chinese cuisine.

Do yourselves a favor and check out Ginger and Garlic instead.

BTW, I have ZERO affiliation with the Lam family, I'm just a very satisfied customer that has enjoyed Kenny's cooking for over 2 decades.

1 Thank Preds1
Buffalo
“Good Chinese Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

Always good food, large portions, friendly service.