“Enjoyable! Some pointers here for the Ladies”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haines Falls
North-South Lake Campground
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was my first time camping in 30 years - and I sure was christened LOL!

FYI: RAINY SEASON SEPTEMBER (AND JUNE):
Unfortunately I got rained (poured) on a few times - one was a severe thunderstorm (scary.)
When we got home I did a historical check on the area weather. Both September AND June are rainy months. My husband and I RUSHED to the lake and the trails when it wasn't raining, because we never knew when it was going to begin to rain again. Also prepare for PITCH BLACK nights. This is real, backwoods, in the mountains CAMPING. The sites all seem nice but staff told me if you're unhappy with your site they WILL let you relocate.

A FEW FUNNY THINGS:
With much trepidation I showered with daddy long legs (there were like TWENTY of them on the shower wall,) screamed when I saw a few critters (including some sort of lizard that nearly ran across my toes) AND had a somewhat odd stranger approach my campsite from the woods one evening (he turned out to be harmless.)

SHOWER TIP FOR THE GIRLS*** Shower in your bathing suit so you can walk back to your campsite in it.
The showers are private stalls. There IS a dressing area with a bench - but the walls/floors are always wet - probably due to extreme dampness (I learned that everything is soggy with camping.) I could not get dressed here because if my PJ bottoms (or shorts) touched the floor they would have been wet & yucky. The bench is also wet. (I zipped my backpack & hung it on the one hook.)

NATURE:
Even with the less than desirable weather etc I do love nature - and I LOVED camping! This campground is clean and the sites are nice - but ladies - you should know they are not grass - they are dirt. It will take a lot of work to keep things clean. I'm not afraid of work - to me it was worth it. (Bring wipes, a broom and a dustpan.) The Lake is pretty and we enjoyed a nice canoe ride between rain storms, even got a few nice photos!

IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN:
Check out one of the loops near the beach/lake - because that is where the children gravitate. Otherwise it's a really long walk - could be a few miles from some of the other loops. I checked and the lake sites are nearly always booked - so plan in advance. There's a nice breeze from the Lake - great if you're camping in summer heat. (Park staff told me the sites directly ON the lake can get windy at night though, so be prepared.)

BLACK BEAR!!!
The stories about the bears are true - you MUST keep your food secure in car or RV at ALL TIMES when leaving your campsite - or you WILL have bears. We did hear racoons at night in our campsite but we had put everything away so their efforts were fruitless :)

This is TRUE camping without ANY resort amenities (no pool, store etc.) If you love nature and just keep in mind that it IS camping and you will be "roughing it" for a period of time I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did :)

Room Tip: ***Stay near the lake if you have children - the kids seemed to love it there
Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gram777

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Family and I just came back from camping at North-South Lake. This was my first time camping so I was a little nervous about going but I was greatly suprised. We stayed in loop 6 on site 168.It was close to the lake and to the bathrooms which were clean. The hikes were great and the views were beautiful.They have a play ground and bbq grills by the lake. My three year old had a blast. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have both camped and hiked in this campground. It is a great place to make memories for the family. There are sites right on North Lake that make for perfect distractions for the early risers in your family. Kids ride their bikes everywhere, some sites have privacy and shade, some sites are cheek by jowl with the next tent site. Your kids will make instant, marshmallow-roasting friends either way, if they choose. Fishing and swimming in South Lake is fun and there really are some wee fish to catch. We did! This experience became the basis for a lifelong love of fishing for two of my three sons.There are also the usual ranger-led hikes, programs, etc. and there are LOTS of hiking trails, from easy to challenging. Try Artist's or Sunset Rock Trails which start just before the main parking lot at South Lake; nearly any member of your family can do these two with a bit of fortitude. Happy camping!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Clubess1
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just came back from camping for the first time with friends who are very experienced. This is one of their top spots and will be a fave now that there are little ones camping too. I didn't know what to expect so if some of what I describe is typical I apologize. Some things weren't as expected, like dirt on the camp sites, but clearly how could I expect grass in a campground where there are facilities like bathrooms available? I'm a newbie city-slicker, that's how. We went with 2 other families so there were 8 adults and 4 kids (two of which were under a year old). The sites aren't the biggest but my friends said they were pretty good for a campground like this. the parking at the site was too tight though. We were at sites 96 and 98, I believe- outer edge of loop 4 as my friends prefer being on the woods side and we wanted 2 sites with a path between. The "path" was pretty good until right at our site- there was a large rock and then a lot of loose little rocks. Tricky, esp at night and one friend twisted an ankle there. Some of the sites on the inner loop had better connecting sites but, as I said, my friends tend to like woods-side sites. Though in loop 4 my friend thought the inner sites were decently wooded to not feel like you were on top of the other sites. The inner loop parking was better- it was flat and wider than our side. Our side had some ditches and a drain pipe by the road and "driveway" area. We had a minivan and larger SUV (smaller than a Ford Expedition size but still three rows so no little Honda CRV size)- the SUV had to park partly in the ditch or the space between the cars was way too tight. so on either vehicle you couldn't easily get in/out while parked. A pain for packing. We had to walk the strollers on the road because the joining path was too rocky- you couldn't fit the stroller through easily otherwise. The site was very rocky- hard to steak in with the steaks that came with the tents- you had to keep moving the steaks as you'd hit rock halfway down and everyone bent more than a few steaks. There were a few large rocks at surface level that I think might interfere with some tent placement but we were fine.

The barbeques and site were clean when we arrived though the arm to drop the grill on the BBQ at our site was broken. We did all our cooking and hanging out at the other site so the babies wouldn't disturb the others. The bathrooms were cleaner than some rest stops I've been to, I didn't feel squeamish at all. I was very happy. The water pressure and temp was great in the showers. I wish they had a few more hooks in the bathrooms though- I didn't want my things on the floor. There were only 2 hooks. The button start showers are smart and ran just fine, long enough for me, not like you can't just keep pressing it- I actually wanted an "off" button as I pressed it one last time to rinse something off after my shower and it ran unnecessarily after the quick rinse was over. The showers were clean. There are 3 stalls in the women's room, apparently only urinal in the men's room? 2 showers on each side and a handicapped bathroom. I heard there was a line for showers at about 9/10 in the morning on Saturday but I only saw a line of maybe 2 people in the afternoon on Sunday. There was more of a line for the washing sink from what I saw. Having another sink would be great.

We saw raccoons in the forest but they stayed away from us. We were very careful to put all food/coolers away when we left the site and at night. There was a large group of college kids there- they respected quiet time so we didn't have any noise issues. We saw the ranger pass 2-3 times the whole weekend so they patrol. Any noise issues came from a family who allowed one little kid to scream bloody murder for large blocks of time during the day. This wasn't a fit or tantrum- she was playing. All the parents agreed it was something her parents should have corrected and it was excessive so this isn't an anti-kid complaint. Kids cry and make noise- the normal playing/yelling sounds were fine and actually nice to hear. I live by a playground so I really enjoy hearing it. This was a little much- we had little ones who were out of their element sleeping in something that lets all sound in- one baby had trouble sleeping because of the kid's screeching. I did see some have 2 tents AND screened canopies over the picnic tables so I don't know if that violates the 2 tent rule but I wish we brought our canopy because our sites got decent sun. Great to keep you warm but sometimes you need the shelter. Esp the babies. The shade was quite cool so a canopy would have been a nice happy medium. I think it shouldn't count as it's not like anyone was camping under it.

Overall, great site, I want to see what some other places/locations have to offer but I'd go back here gladly and with some better supplies now that I know what to expect.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lhoopie
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Great experience for the family, no phones, no tv, no tech distractions just pure simple fun. camp site was in the perfect spot close to the lake, surrounded by huge trees which provided wonderful shade. Big enough for the family and friends and yet cozy to sit around and just chat and play board games.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sstolie
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have not really been camping in a long time and decided to go for one night to North South Lake Campground for a little getaway and some hiking. We really enjoyed it!

We stayed in Loop 7. We had a nice wooded site with vacant sites on either side of us. We were in 211. We were really right across from the bathroom, which is not really shown on the map. It was convenient in the middle of the night. We had a good sized site and decent privacy. We liked the privacy of most of the sites on this loop. Other loops looked much more crowded. The fire pit was perfect with a grate you could lower to cook on.

The bathrooms were very clean. No complaints here. The hand dryer was really loud though. We could hear it from our site. The only negative to our site. The other campers were loud at times, mostly kids, but the sound really carried out there. We just played some music at our site to drown it out. Slept through the night with no noise.

The hiking here was spectacular. We hiked up to Artist Rock and on to Newmans Ledge. It was really great. We would go back for that.

We would choose this campground again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank robinshoods
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I grew up camping at North Lake. I never had a bad experience. Tons of great hikes with amazing views. The lake is clean and refreshing. The campsites are a good size. We never had a problem with animals because we didn't leave food out. This time we stayed on loop 2 and I will probably always request this loop from now on. The sites are backed by woods, and were kind of isolated, so we never had any complaints about our noise level. I was with all adults, so we enjoyed the isolation! The bathroom and showers were clean and not a far walk. Bonus: Our site had a close water faucet that's not shown on the map.

Room Tip: You're camping in the woods. There are wild animals. If you're smart and keep your food and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
#2 of 2 in Tannersville
Villa Vosilla
Villa Vosilla
#1 of 6 in Hunter

Been to North-South Lake Campground? Share your experiences!