“#1 in all categories!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haines Falls
North-South Lake Campground
Bay Shore, NY
“#1 in all categories!”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

This is a great place and my review is years overdue. We have been camping here for years and we always look forward to our return camping trip here. The staff is always friendly warm and helpful and if you smile and joke back their smile will make your day! The sites have always been clean, showers clean, always hot water for bathing AND washing dishes- which is AWESOME! 99% of your fellow campers are courteous and friendly and when its quiet time it's really quiet :). This is a great place to camp yet have most of the modern luxuries for when you dont want to rough it-a flushing toilet and hot water without boiling it are camping luxuries to me. Friendly chipmunks and deer say hi when your by the campfire.
Great camping for:
easy camping with luxuries

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank AquaBear

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Poughkeepsie
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Very clean and well kept campground. We stayed in Loop 2. Excellent fire pit and good value on the purchased bags of wood ($8), including a fire starter stick. Beautiful place, second time there and will definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank sands13wing
Weehawken, New Jersey
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We only stayed there one night, but it was really nice, we stayed in loop 1, bathroom and shower was easily accessible and clean. the fire pits were not fully enclosed and were easier to start fires, and able to retain heat better, making cooking and keeping the fire going easy. there were also varied levels of trails from easy to strenuous, that were accessible from campsite loops... beautiful sunsets around the lake. lake swimming area was ok, but other then that really great campground! make sure to check out the town, five min away.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dfox0403
Forked River, New Jersey
Reviewed August 7, 2011

love this campground, have been going every year for about 25 years. always in tents and i try for 9 nights. kids are grown now but still love to go and bring friends. getting a little crowded now. but still very nice trails, sites, bathrooms, as far as dealing with the bears just have to keep food put away and car windows up always. and when hiking make lots of noise. teach kids when playing in the woods to make lots of noise. at times ive kept clean pots and pans in tent at night to bang together for noise scares anything away that might come too close. although your neighbors might not like you the next day. the rangers do a really good job keeping track of the bears and trying to keep away from sites.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank storme49
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I have been camping most of our lives. For 25+ years, we have vacationed at North-South Lake Campground. It's a beautiful campground. The lake is gorgeous and easy to paddle a canoe or kayak on. Fishing is fun either from the shore or from the boats. There are plenty of hiking trails with awesome views. Both beaches are clean and fun for the entire family. It's one of the few campgrounds left that have staffed lifeguards.
Unfortunately, there are bears there! According to the DEC Ranger, a local woman was feeding the bears from her home. Due to circumstances, she was forced to stop feeding the bears. SO they are now at North-South Lake Campground. I saw the bear twice. One time in the truck driving back from the beach. The bear was in the woods roaming around. The second time he was in our loop a few campsites down from us. I was on my bike riding the loop to the bathroom. I informed the campers near him and my husband. We put the coolers and garbage in the truck. He did not bother us or any other campers. Unfortunately, the bears know where to get food from.

People HAVE to be PROACTIVE! The DEC Rangers can't do it alone. PLEASE PUT YOUR COOLERS IN YOUR CARS ALL THE TIME. CLEAN UP ALL FOOD SCRAPS. FIRST AND FOREMOST- DON'T FEED THE BEARS!
If we all do our part, the bears will go away! Let's face it, they are hungry. If they can't get food from humans, they will go back into the woods and find food there.

If WE don't help the RANGERS, this and other campsites might be in jeopardy of closing. Many people enjoy hiking, swimming, fishing, and boating at the campsite. LET'S ALL DO OUR PART, READ THE BEAR RULES AND FOLLOW THEM!

My husband and I met at NSLC and it's a special place in my heart!!!! Happy Camping!!!!

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Crazy4Camping65
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Stayed in loop 1 site 11. Great site. Close seconds are 9 & 13. Large & private & close to modern showers & bathrooms through a nice wood chip lined path. Site 11 is private & backs up to a stream with no sites behind you or to the left. There is a site across but on an angle so if you park your car right, they can not see into the camp site. We drove to all the loops and sites and I honestly have to say site 11 and 9 are two of the largest sites I saw and some of the most level sites. The stream runs through the camp area & kids love it so expect kids to walk in the stream past your site. We didnt mind at all & our kids liked seeing other kids. The site is large& had a nice stone fire place. we cooked on it every night. The park does sell fire wood good for a night & a morning of fire for 8.00. They said it was kiln dried but ours was damp. We actually bought our wood from Grand Union for 6.00 which was good for a night of fire but it was dry & burned great. You can bring in your own wood if its bought within 50 miles of the park. The bathrooms & showers were modern & the staff came 2x per day to clean them. Unfortunately some campers are very disrespectful & dirty & would mess up the bathrooms & showers within 10 min of the staff cleaning them. There are 2 beaches-North & south. South beach is better. The beach area is flat & the water more shallow for small children. However it is not always open for swimming due to no life guard. Ask the main gate office if a life guard is on duty b4 driving to the south beach. The road to south beach is broken up with pot holes & road upheavels so it takes about 20 min of 8 mile per hour driving to get to the beach inorder not take out a tire or brake an axel. North Beach is deeper, crowded & the beach is sloped. Many hiking trails but if you want a great view without an intensive hike, then take the road to south beach but drive past it to the very end & you can walk up the old access road that used to lead to the catskill hotel. It takes about 10 min. The view is amazing. Ok so about the bears- if you follow the clear instructions they give you when you check in, you will not have issues. Unfortunatley some moron in our loop was making pancakes for the bear & feeding him so he was attracted to the loop. It wasnt the bear's fault. We followed the rules & although its a pain to do so, it kept our site bear free. I had bear paw prints on my 4x4 but the bear was attracted to the vehicle parked on the edge of the site & not us or our tents. If people would follow the rules there would not be a bear issue. Just some last tips-pack a sweat shirt &sweat pants. Although it was 85 & hot in the day it got as low as 45 at night. Kaaterskill falls is nice but the walk down the road is very dangerous. Be careful as few drivers adhere to the 20 miles per hour. My advice if you have kids is drop them off with an adult at the small pull over at the falls & then park your car in the lot & walk down yourself. wear water shoes for grip on the rocks at the falls. Avoid Tannersville except Grand Union which is on the far end of town. they are reasonable for quickthings like hot dog rolls or fire wood or ice. The rest of the town is a tourist trap. Avoid Smileys ice cream towards the end of town. They charge 3.50 for the smallest soft serve cone that could possibly be created. I was actually stunned when he handed it to me to give to my son. I had three kids. 10.50 for three mini cones. I would have walked out except my kids really wanted ice cream. Its pure greed plain and simple. Its probably why the place is empty of any customers. that should have been the first warning. There is an ice cream truck that will go through the camp ground. very cheap ice cream novelties plus he sells bags of ice for 2.00. If you really need alot of things then drive down into catskill to the super wal mart. lastly, gas at stewarts is about 10 cents more then at the bottom of the mountain but they have decent coffee & scooped ice cream in cones for a decent price. The camp ground is nice and just follow the rules regarding bears and stay clear of Tourist trap: I mean Tannersville if possible.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
16 Thank mkcbcn
Deer Park, New York
Reviewed July 18, 2011

First time to the campsite, as I entered and drove to the campsite, I was following a car in front of me, a patrol lady let that car passed but stopped me and gave me a ticket. I pleaded guilty (I had no choice o/w I should drive hundred miles to the court) and the hunter town court gave me 35 fine plus 75 surcharge fee! this is more than what I spent for a camp. Even at this day, I don't understand why she stopped me because I wasn't going that fast. If I did, she must've stopped the car before me instead. I stayed there for couple days and many cars are driving over 15 mph and she didn't seem to mind them. So watch out for a patrol guys, especially that white irish-looking lady, when you're a minority-looking like me. You'd better drive under 15.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
#1 of 6 in Hunter
The Sun View
The Sun View
#2 of 2 in Tannersville

Been to North-South Lake Campground? Share your experiences!