All reviews benn conger the main house jacuzzi tub finger lakes quiche chain hotels great hosts fresh fruit short drive ithaca college accommodations mansion antiques relaxation porch wineries
Reviewed October 3, 2009

My wife and I began looking for a wedding venue in late 2008 that would be euqal distances from all of our family. We discivered the Benn Conger Inn and went for a visit. Owners Peter and Doug were wonderful from the get-go. They were knowledgeable, friendly and simply wonderful. The Inn, which is actualy two (2) buildings, is historic and beautiful, and no details have been overlooked. They are well decorated and quite comfortable. As the months passed and our wedding grew closer, Peter and Doug did all they could to make certain our wedding day would be as close to perfect as possible, all whilst taking as much stress as they could from Danielle and I.
Family and Friends reserved rooms for the night before, and the night of, the wedding. Everyone enjoyed their rooms, and were impressed by the Inn grounds and the hospitality of the owners, Peter and Doug.
The day of our wedding I was a Pepto-chugging, nervous wreck. As it was an afternoon wedding, I had plenty of time to be a ball of nerves. Throughout the day, Peter and Doug assured me everything was going to be fine, assured me I needn't worry about the details and that they would make certain everything went okay.
After the ceremony at the gazebo on the Inn grounds, our wedding party, family and friends all went inside the Inn for cocktails before dinner and entertainment whilst Danielle and I had photos taken. It took over 1 hour that it took to get photos done. We we went inside the Inn and met our guests, it was like we weren't even missing. Doug, Peter and their staff had everything moving smoothly. All of our guests commented at how beautfiul the Inn was, how professional (to say the least!) the staff was and at how hospitable Peter and Doug were.
Then there were the meals. As a chef I was very nervous that the meals came-out perfectly. As we ordered Beef Wellington, Chicken with Brie and Crab Ravioli, I was nervous. But I needn't be. Our guests commented on how delicious the meals were. Doug and Peter even prepared for my father, a diabetic, a griled salmon dish. It, too, was delicious.
To sum it all up: Peter and Doug run a beautiful inn. Their staff is impeccable. No setails are overlooked. Thanks to Peter and Doug and their staff, Danielle and I had as perfect a wedding as one can expect. We wouldn't hesitate to suggest the Benn Conger Inn for a one night stay, a weekend stay, or a wedding.
We will be forever indebted to Peter and Doug for their kindness, generosity and hospitality, and for making the most memorable day in my life that much more memorable.
We plan on spending each anniversary at the Inn.
We love you Peter & Doug!
Danielle and Peter!
p.s.
We hope you got the wine we sent you.

Date of stay: September 2009
1  Thank mrsandmrr
Reviewed July 11, 2009

My husband had business in Cortland, NY, so I convinced him to bring me and make it an overnight. I'm glad we did. Our room (yellow room, I think), which was in the building next door to the Inn, was very lovely with a gas fireplace, a large balcony and a significant jet tub. We enjoyed all those ammenities. I even read a book from the borrowing library downstairs. Our only misstep was having dinner at the Inn on a busy Saturday night when there was a wedding in the house. I don't want to grouse about dinner because our overall impression of the place and the owners was really positive. We'll probably be back. Next time I want to bring some walking shoes because the grounds are very green and look as though they go on forever! PS I'm reposting this now because my inital review was not posted - not sure why.

Date of stay: August 2008
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2009

I have arranged for my mother to stay at the Inn a few times in the past - she loved it. I have also dined there and arranged for a political meet the candidate event there. The owners have always been gracious and run a top flight establishment.

But the story darkens.

Last July, I made reservations for my Mom and step-dad at the Inn. They were coming into town from Florida for my son's 18th birthday, his graduation (and his valdictorian speech) and his graduation party. I asked them if this was too soon to make reservations and was told it would not be a problem. I paid one night in advance and that was that.

As my folks are 80 years old and directions and driving are difficult, they needed to stay near the school and our house so the Inn was perfect.

Now it is April 30 and I called to verify that all is well and was told that they did not have any reservation for me and there was a wedding there using all the rooms so we were out of luck.

One owner maintained that I must have been mistaken until I found my credit card receipt on line - then they found the reservation but said that it never made it into the 2009 book and they were very sorry.

They offered my folks a dinner (they live in Florida!) and to check for accomodations in Cortland (long drive for Mom in the middle of road construction) and above a bar in Groton.

Maintaining my cool demeanor (no yelling or cursing), I kept asking for the room I reserved. Over several conversations, the owners hung up on me, judged my relationship with my mother and told me, "Jesus, it's just a [--] room, get over it, it's not like I slit your mother's wrist!"

The last phone call made me realize that I would never have a business relationship with these guys, that they were making far more money from the wedding than on my folks and that there was probably no mistake to begin with...so I hung up on them.

Is it a nice place? Yes.

Can I recommend it based on my treatment and their attitude? Emphatically no.

Date of stay: April 2009
5  Thank Steven K
Reviewed February 24, 2009

We recently stayed at the Inn. We booked everything online so we were a bit sceptical. it turned out to be so perfect!
This place is absolutely beautiful! We stayed with my parents and my in laws so we booked the 3 rooms upstairs in the cottage. The cottage itself was not quite as impressive as the main house but the rooms were nicer in my opinion. The each had a fireplace and a whirlpool tub. Great for a romantice getaway.
One of the owners gave us tour of the entire main house along with details about the history of the house. It was great! The rooms in the main house were extremely nice too (again just lacking the fireplaces and the whirlpool tubs). They would be great for a family getaway.
The price of the Inn was also very reasonable. I was so impressed. I cannot beleive that anyone would have anything negative to say about this place or the inn keepers. They were the best!! We will definately be back.

Date of stay: February 2009
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2008

When reviewing this inn I have to start with Doug, Peter and their staff. To say they are accomodating is an understatement! I have stayed at beautiful B & Bs all over the northeast for 25 years, and this was far and away my best overall experience. Our room was beautiful, and we ate dinner both Friday and Saturday nights there; the food was superb, as was the service. When we were getting ready to leave this morning I decided not to go for breakfast (opting for sleep in the comfy high bed in the Celadon room) and when my husband went to check out Doug helped him carry over 2 coffees and some breakfast treats in a to go carton for us! This type of service simply does not exist anymore; we're already making plans to return in December. Ignore any negative reviews seen here- they are written by people who simply can't be pleased. Can't wait to return in a couple of months and see the Inn decked out for Christmas, and see Doug and Peter, who made us feel like long time friends.

Date of stay: October 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)