All reviewsbenn congerthe main housefinger lakeschain hotelsgreat hostsithaca collegepeteraccommodationsmansionantiquesrelaxationporchwineries
Reviewed May 4, 2008

My husband and I were turned on to the Benn Conger in the fall of 2006. We were looking for a place to have a small intimate wedding and loved what we saw and were treated well. After some unexpected life events, a child and family issues we did have to change the date for our event twice. We decided to have the reception only at the Benn Conger and married at our home with our child and two friends. When it finally came down to making final plans I had to make the initiative to contact them two months before our reception, we had a scheduled appointment and because I did not call to confirm the day before the owner had scheduled someone else to meet with. Being that we had already given a deposit we chose to overlook a few things. When we met and made plans, some of the verbal agreements had changed and the 2006 prices were no longer what he was charging so prices had gone up and we had to meet in the middle. We wished more than anything at this point to get out. The night of our reception things went well the wait staff was excellent, very helpful and friendly. We did feel that the food was skimpy for the cost and things were rushed along. We asked for leftovers and were given a few small take out containers and were not given anything else nor the option.....WHICH WE PAID FOR! I asked for the fruit vegetable and cheese platter leftovers for my parents to take home and when they got home it was just vegetables. When paying the bill I completely over looked the fact that on top of everything else we had paid for 5 children, who were 5 or under and should have been free according to our original agreement.The room that was complimentary was not the cleanest and three other couples paid 150 a piece for rooms in the same condition. In the morning the coffee station was not set up and we went down the hill to the store and bought our own coffee. The continental breakfast was sparse at best with fruit that looked similar to that from our reception. I had been told that our extra favors and center pieces were set aside in the back for us and when we checked out in the morning that we could get them. When I asked I could not believe how terribly rude the owner was, he stepped in the kitchen stated he saw nothing and I would have to call him later or come back because he was trying to meet with a couple about a wedding- hope they were listening to how they'll be treated after they pay. Later that day I was told there was nothing left and all the guests took everything. I was insistant that I saw things being taken back and mysteriously one set of favors had surfaced which they would set aside for me. I went to pick them up and my intelligence was insulted by telling me I had not ordered enough, we had ordered extra and ourselves we included in our count. Talk about insult to injury. It is a beautiful place if you want atmosphere over all else it's a perfect place. We learned that NOTHING can be done by verbal agreement alone and always have something in writing to protect yourself.

• Stayed: May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank angryconsumer
EasterBrunch2, co-owner/wedding planner at Benn Conger Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2008

It is extremely sad when you get a review from someone who frequented our restaurant and we considered friends.

The couple did cancel their wedding in 2006 (normally deposit is lost when date is locked in); we opted to hold deposit until they can re-schedule their wedding again.

Like any business in today's volatile economy....cost of doing business increases.

Cost of gas in 2006 was $2 now hovering near $4. We make yearly changes like any business to accomodate a minimal profit to substain existence. The cost of the menu certainly increased after close to 2 year's time lapse.

The couple opted for "all you can get Buffet"
There was ample time for dinner with ample food for replacement at anytime during dinner.
The request for "doggy" bags for a set price per person buffet leads us to believe that they thought they were at a chinese buffet. Even at a chinese buffet ,"doggy " bags are not given out for free refills to go.

We always accomodate more amounts than ordered just to make sure there is ample food. This is at our cost.

Everyone seemed happy and we had no complaints during the function.

All table giveaways were taken by wedding guests. Our staff was deligent on looking even under tables for left items.

As for the room accomodations; our housekeeper was going through chemo for lung cancer that week for the first time and may have missed a spot. We are conscientious of cleanliness and never had a complaint in the past 3 years of ownership.

Reviewed January 4, 2008

My husband and I had a horrible experience at the Inn. The server came well after we had been seated and asked 'Do you want to drink something?' very rudely. We hadn't even received a wine list yet so we were surprised by the question. We ordered a pinot noir (red wine) which came out at least ten minutes later, chilled like a cold white wine. My husband ordered the twin filets medium rare. They came out medium well at best. He sent them back (something we rarely would do). I had the reuben chicken which had a distinct charcoal flavor. When the second round of filets arrived, they were barely better and the server was not very pleasant or helpful. My husband then took a bite into the mashed potatoes and immediately bit down on something that crunched so loud I could hear it. Needless to say, we were not pleased. He went to speak to the management and the manager said it would be taken off the bill. We never saw our server again until she brought the bill. The filets had been taken off, but it wasn't worth paying for any of it. My husband went back to speak with the manager again, but he was unavailable. A second manager appeared and my husband explained the situation again. The manager was quite rude and did not help the situation at all. He took payment and stormed off flustered. We were here for a party once and it was mediocre, but the setting was romantic so we thought we would come back. Now, however, we would NOT recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2008
EasterBrunch2, co-owner at Benn Conger Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2008

It is unfortunate that every once in a while you get that customer that really is out to take adavantage of any situation.

This particular customer came in with a "free"
gift certificate donated by a local radio station.

He basically became irrate when the Bottle of Wine he ordered would not be included as part of the Dinner Gift Certificate.

He proceeded to find falt with the caliber of his steak to the wine being too cold.

We do agree we have a very chilly wine cellar in January and the wine should have been left at room temperature for better presentation.

We are easy to please our customers; but this particular individual took an offensive approach not only toward our great staff , but to the owners at hand.

It was obvious this individual was out to get more than a free meal.

One of our local patrons heard the couple argue because of the incident while in the parking lot.

It

Reviewed November 5, 2006

This is a beautiful place both inside and out, but it is a nightmare for anyone who is handicapped. There is no ramp of any kind. There are no hand railings. The front walk is crushed stone making the use of crutches, walker or wheelchair extremely difficult to impossible. Looking back over my visit, I hardly remember what I ate, but do recall the horror of trying to get in and out of that place.

4  Thank aiti
Reviewed January 19, 2006

What a pleasure! Excllent food presented well. The Staff are so helpful. You have to try the fried ollives - yum. From our first dinner there, this has become our "favorite" place Would I recommend this place to a friend - yes! The best part is - it is reasonable .

• Stayed: January 2006
3  Thank Road38206
Reviewed July 29, 2003

A lovely place for a romantic getaway or family vacation. The proprietors really went out of their way to make our family comfortable and give helpful suggestions on things to do in the area. Wonderful breakfasts and a restaurant that is both cozy and elegant. We hope to go back again the next time we are in Ithaca.

7  Thank 681laurie419