“Thanksgiving at the Benn Conger Inn Exceeded our Expectations!”
Review of Benn Conger Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Groton
Benn Conger Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Groton B&B and Inns
Westfield, New York
“Thanksgiving at the Benn Conger Inn Exceeded our Expectations!”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

My wife Carol and I spent 4 wonderful days at the Benn Conger Inn in Groton, NY during Thanksgiving 2011. The owners/managers Doug Yurubi and Peter Zon were exquisite hosts. We went there because we had performed an internet search for the best Thanksgiving dinner in the Finger Lakes region. The search zeroed in on the Benn Conger Inn in Groton, NY. Benn Conger was not only a prominent citizen, but also the CEO of Smith Corona during the golden age of manual typewriters.

The Inn was Benn Conger’s home. It was built as many early 20th century homes were from a kit offered by Sears Roebuck. Benn Conger chose the Mansion Kit sold by Sears. Not only is the Inn well-built, but the innkeepers have restored and renovated with aplomb. They also have acquired several antiques that were owned by Benn Conger such as a china place setting, his top hat, and several historic pictures of Conger and the Inn.

More important is the hospitality offered by Doug and Peter who made us feel like part of the family. They also delivered first class victuals. The Thanksgiving buffet was exceptional. They had 4 sittings that day and served over 150 satisfied customers. There was turkey carved at the head of the buffet with your choice of cut: white, dark, leg, or wing. There was a mushroom noodle dish, baked acorn squash halves with butter and spices, mashed potatoes, stuffed pork loin, corn kernels with julienned red peppers, gravy, salad, rolls, and cranberry sauce. This was accompanied by your choice of beverage: adult or otherwise. It was followed by dessert (pumpkin or apple pie with whipped cream) and coffee, tea or after dinner drink.

We sat on the glassed in veranda which reminded us of another distinguished inn: The Charlotte Inn, Edgartown, Martha’s Vineyard. The glassed in veranda reminded us of L’Etoile which is the restaurant at the Charlotte Inn. There is one difference Peter Zon is a better chef from our stand point!

Once Thanksgiving dinner was complete the owners immediately prepared the Inn for Christmas and by Friday afternoon they had it completely decorated with 8 different Christmas trees, exterior lights, bows on the exterior pillars, reindeer, and two life-sized nutcracker soldiers. Doug and Peter devote themselves to the presentation of the experience, as well as the quality of your experience!

We had a suite in the adjacent Victorian cottage which was well appointed with an antique queen size bed, a sofa, arm chair and a unique round desk. The bathroom had a Jacuzzi tub and a bidet along with a sink and toilet. It was spacious with two ceiling fans to adjust the air flow and dimmer lights to accentuate the ambience. It also had a porch which would be lovely during the summer season! In addition, we were able to take our new dog, Major, a golden retriever. He enjoyed the room and the area for walking and running!

The Inn has a very good and affordable wine list to accompany dinners on other nights, and we witnessed the booking of two holiday parties during our stay. The region not only supports this Inn, but they may book it full time. So, my wife, Carol, and I suggest that you get your reservations ASAP.

We intend to make it a tradition to travel to the Benn Conger Inn for Thanksgiving.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great and the Vicorian Cottage adds to your privacy!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Russell B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I stayed overnight at the Ben Conger in November for an event at Cornell. The innkeepers are wonderfully friendly and made me feel very welcome. The room had a working fireplace, which was great. I shut off the heat and used the fireplace to complement the early fall nip in air! The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was lovely. Highly recommend this place to anyone. It's a short drive to campus through very picturesque country.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Short Hills, New Jersey
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My son and I stayed overnight at Benn Conger in October 2011 to attend a conference at Cornell. It was a cold, rainy Friday night when we arrived and Doug and Peter were so kind and welcoming. We had a terrific dinner and retired to a beautiful, extremely clean and comfortable room with a fireplace (exactly what was needed). We had to leave early Saturday for the conference and they got up early to prepare coffee and a quick bite for us. The reviews here are right on...a great place to stay and Doug and Peter are friendly and thoughtful. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
Reviewed November 11, 2011

My wife and I headed out for a spur-of-the-moment adventure and found most of the hotels booked in Ithaca. The ones with vacancies were 1. expensive and 2. without any personality (chains). We found this Inn on line and called for reservations. Doug could not have been more accommodating over the phone, and he and Peter went out of their way to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. We got to choose from two rooms, and ours had a very comfortable bed, a gas fireplace, and a jacuzzi in it.
Dinner at the Inn took advantage of the prime rib (on special Thursdays and Sundays - $12.95!). Breakfast consisted of blueberry muffins (more like little loaves of very tasty bread), OJ, yogurt, coffee, scrambled eggs (my wife wants to know how they got so fluffy), toast, and a thousand suggestions of how to spend our day.
We got a tour of the main house (we stayed in the victoria house next door), and all the rooms are tastefully decorated and well maintained. The artwork, including the huge mural in the dining room, were beautiful. It was like a museum.
We don't travel much, so we don't have a huge basis for comparison, but given how wonderfully we were treated, we'll probably still not have much to compare this to - we just want to come back here! Next time we may even bring our children.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Mattapoisett
Reviewed November 11, 2011

In need of a stress-free weekend, my daughter and I recently stayed at the Inn. Doug and Peter were warm and friendly. The accommodations were comfortable and the food delicious. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Every room has its own unique charm. (Doug gave us a little tour.)
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 9, 2011

My son and I stayed at Benn Conger Inn last weekend while we were visiting my daughter in Ithaca for a parents' weekend. The Inn went above and beyond our expectations. The owners', Doug and Peter, were extremely friendly, and helpful. Because I'm not familiar with the Ithaca area, they even offered their GPS to us!
The accomodations were impeccable. We stayed in the Blue Province Room. The furnishings were beautiful and I felt like I was in a spa with the toasty fireplace. The bathroom was large and had a tub as well as a shower. Everything was spotless clean. The scenery was bucolic with acres of hills and trees. I felt like I was in another world. The location is superb for those getaways where you want to enjoy nature but have fine dining there as well.
I cannot wait to return in the summer with my husband. This area is one of the most beautiful parts of the United States. The Inn made the visit special and memorable. We will be back soon!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Randolph, New Jersey
Reviewed November 7, 2011

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Inn while up for the weekend. The Inn is beautiful and Doug and Peter are so welcoming and friendly. Peter gave us some fantastic suggestions and we had the best time exploring. We visited falls, wineries, farms and Mackenzie-Childs estate! I highly recommend the Inn to anyone visiting the area. Next time we will enjoy a dinner there, however, this visit's schedule did not permit, however, the breakfast can't be beat.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cortland
Homewood Suites by Hilton Ithaca
Skaneateles Suites
Skaneateles Suites
#1 of 7 in Skaneateles
The Statler Hotel at Cornell University
Courtyard Ithaca Airport/University
Best Western Plus Finger Lakes Inn & Suites

Been to Benn Conger Inn? Share your experiences!