“Absolutely fantastic experience!”

Antons on the Lake Country Inn & Marina
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I booked a weekend trip to Anton's in order to attend the New York Renaissance Faire in Tuxedo Park (about 6 miles away from Greenwood Lake). The older couple who run the inn are very friendly and helpful. The king-sized bed was extremely comfortable, the room was very clean and very cozy, and the double jacuzzi was a nice touch after spending the day at the fair. The inn is situated on a very picturesque part of the lake, and breakfast was a nice touch (a basket of croissants, cereals, yogurt, juice, and milk delivered in a nice basket).

When we told them of our plans, they gave us two complimentary passes to the fair, which was very generous of them.

The main Victorian style house is undergoing several renovations, so it was not available to stay in. Hopefully next summer it will be ready. In any case, we had a very restful and relaxing stay here, and will plan to come here again.

Room Tip: Definitely book one of the King bed rooms if possible - the mattress and comforters were extremely c...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Antons for two nights in July as a long weekend trip from NYC. We arrived early in the morning, way before check in, but they immediately gave us a room and upgraded us to a King bed with the double whirlpool. The room was very clean and comfortable with everything we needed. Breakfast was delivered each morning at the time we had requested and it was so lovely to eat outside on the lake.

The innkeepers were very nice and had lots of information on the surrounding area. We spent a day at Greenwood lake, a day touring local wineries, and a day hiking on part of the Appalachian Trail. They gave us a pass for a free wine tasting at Applewood Winery and told us that some of the local restaurants would give us a discount since we were staying at Antons.
The Inn is in a great location--close to nearby attractions and within walking distance of a few restaurants and a bar.

If we decide to take another trip to the area, we'll definitely be back at Antons. Great price, service, and everything we could have wanted!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katie154
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I had stayed at Anton's on the lake because it was close to a friends wedding. First of all the internet sevice to reserve a room does not work, I had reserved through the internet service and when I called they said I had not reserved a room. The manager told me during this time of year I was required to have a 2 night stay. When my boyfriend and I arrived the victorian house in the front was totally vacant and there was a large blue sign pointing to where the office was on the second floor. When we got to the office there was a half naked man (who appeared to work there) talking to the manager. I had verbally confirmed my reservation with the manager the week before and had a confirmation email so I knew I had a room. When I got there the guy checking us in (he was the mantenance guy) said he could not find our reservation, he also told us that he had no clue where the manager was. We arrived there at 2:30 and by the time we checked in it was 3 and we had to wait for our room to be cleaned, they have 1 person cleaning all the rooms there. The room was nice enough and clean enough but not bed and breakfast status. There was still wet old coffee bags left in the coffee maker. I had booked the room with the King bed and hot tub, the first night we used the hot tub and it was very obvious that they did not clean the hot tub at all between days they also did not change the sheets between days. I have been to several bed and breakfasts and I have never felt uncomfortable to walk around with out shoes. There were also several things broken in the room including the shower head and the bolt for the doow. The shower head was a waterfall shower (which I have the same one at home), it has 2 joints, the one closest to the water flow was broten which caused the shower head to hang down so if you are tall you have to crouch to take a shower. The water temperature was also very off it was either really hot or really cold, I kept having to move the temperature up and down so I wouldnt burn myself or have cold water. The breakfast was sub par even for a holiday inn. The gave us a basket at 8am (we were told the come at 9, so there is no sleeping in I guess) and the basket had 2 burned crossants, 2 yogurts, and 2 boxes of cereal. Every other bed and breakfast I had stayed at had made an amazing breakfast with quiche and different acoutrimants, this was thoroughly dissappointing. Also for the money we paid $165 a night (not including tax) they didnt ask about any food allergies or modifications we would need. My boyfriend has type 1 diabetes so he can not eat most of what was in the basket. In my personal opinion Antons has potential but the current management has done an aweful job, I will not stay there ever again and will not recommend it to anyone I know. The grooms mother (who lives in the area) was asking about antons and how she sees them advertised, I told her I would absolutely NOT recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank pixychick106
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I'm not sure what all of the negativity is about in the previous recent posts. Granted, I'd rather be staying in the Victorian style house as well, but after discussing it with the owners I found out they are working on renovations for it. I will say that I think they need better lighting in the parking lot. When I first pulled up (on what was a terribly rainy, dark, cold, evening) it was rather a creepy feeling. However after meeting the owner/manager (who I'm assuming is the guy previously mentioned to look "straight out of Deliverance") and getting the keys to my room, everything was perfect. The room is a bit dated, but the bed is extremely comfortable. Everything was incredibly clean, warm, and welcoming. The next morning the sun was shining and it was absolutely beautiful to walk outside and see the beautiful lake. It truly was something to see. The breakfast basket was delicious and fresh. The staff/owners were courteous. I am definitely planning a second trip back.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor in the first room. It was perfect.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I love Anotons! My husband and I have stayed here twice now, and it is one of our favorite spots for a weekend getaway from NYC (about a 2 hour drive). It is affordable, cozy, clean, the innkeepers are friendly, and there is tons to do. And the 2 person whirlpool tubs are awesome!

The first time we went, it was winter and we didn't have a car. There is a NJTransit bus stop in Greenwood, not far from the hotel. I arranged with the innkeepers ahead of time to pick us up from the bus stop. However, due to bad weather, our bus stopped running - leaving us stranded in a different town! We called the innkeepers to ask them what to do, and they drove over 20minutes to come pick us up and bring us to the hotel!

The inn itself is an old style 2-story hotel that has been lovingly renovated (the house on the website is still under construction - hence some people's confusion with the nature of the inn). Each room is very cozy, clean and cutey decorated. Our king bed was super comfy and the 2 person whirlpool tub was AMAZING!

We went back again in the summer for our 1 year anniversary and again had a great time. The innkeepers gave us discounted passes to the beach, and we spent our time swimming, riding bikes, hiking and exploring Greenwood Lake. At the hotel, there is a firepit in front of the lake. We asked the innkeepers if we could use it, and when we came back in the evening we found they had left us a starter log and a bunch of fire wood. We spent the evening lounging in Adirondack chairs by the fire next to the lake, drinking wine and eating chocolates.

A continental breakfast was brought to our door in a basket at 10am (you can arrange what time they bring it). Breakfast consisted of fruit, yogurt, cereal, milk, juice, muffins, and warm croissants. Being late sleepers who enjoy our privacy, we really liked having breakfast served this way. It was so nice to have breakfast while cuddled up in bed watching TV.

The town of Greenwood Lake is very cute, with a few nice restaurants, a cafe and a grocery store within walking distance of the inn (at least walkable by NYC standards- otherwise it's just a couple minutes drive). There are vineyards, state parks, skiing, boating and even a drive-in movie theater all nearby.

All in all, Antons is a great place run by wonderful people. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Spring for the king size bed and the 2 person whirlpool tub - it's worth the extra $$!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmberfromBrooklyn
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This place is not at all as advertised on the web. It is more like a low-end motel. The breakfast was a joke. Warmed up rolls and juice. The out side of our room was stacked with garbage. The room was clean but smelled of mildew. We where desperate for a last minute reservation so we made it work. But, I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Tammy S
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Down at the heels. It’s a 2-story motel (not an inn) and a tacky one at that – like some place by the side of a no longer travelled road. I half expected to encounter Norman Bates. Had to pay for it in advance when I made our reservations in September and there was no one in the office when we arrived the Wednesday of Thanksgiving week so we just made the best of it and decided to stay our 2 nights.

After we unpacked and prepared to leave to meet relatives for dinner, up drives this pick-up with a guy in a cut-off sweatshirt and tattoos down his arm, straight out of central casting for “Deliverance” who asked what we were looking for. We told him we were guests and left.

The “Breakfast” is a joke – 2 barely edible muffins, yucky fruit yogurt, make-it-yourself coffee (btw, the coffee maker had not been cleaned since the previous occupant and the fridge in the bathroom was dirty) and bottled juice – not even real orange juice.

Oh, the closet door was off its hinge and there were but 2 hangers. The good news was there were no bugs.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Haudi

Been to Antons on the Lake Country Inn & Marina? Share your experiences!