“Owner overbooked me”

Antons on the Lake Country Inn & Marina
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Reserved my room a few months before my trip. Confirmed and confirmed with them that my room is guaranteed. After the drive from NYC to Anton's my friend and me were really tired and it's alr dark. So excited to see the place, have to admit its really pretty but when I see a coach full of tourists from my country I sense bad! And yeah the owner overbooked us and even though I know I reserved first I have no rooms! Apparently the owner said he thought I was from the same tour group and had double booked when I reserve it myself. But I just think that because of my booking the group is short of 1 room and he will be losing the whole business so he rather gave it to them for a full house. What the owner shld have done is to check and inform me. Anyway am really disappointed. This is juZ not how it shld be handled.

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank Pinkie15
There are newer reviews for Antons on the Lake Country Inn & Marina

Reviewed February 22, 2012

This place is great and we'll be back. My family (wife+ 3 small kids) and my brother's (same) stayed over President's weekend and we could not have been more pleased with Anton's. First, the proprietor Matt could not have been more helpful and generous. We moved our reservation around twice, including two cancelled rooms, in the days leading up to our trip. Matt was understanding about our last second changes. He really understands customer service. The guest rooms were clean and comfortable, and the big basket of continental breakfast got us off to a great start each day.

We also got discounted lift tickets and gear rentals for Mt. Peter, which is less than 10 mins away - and had two great days of skiing. BTW, Mt. Peter is just about the perfect place to bring your kids to learn to ski. Not intimidating, good teaching staff, doesn't get crowded, and challenging enough to occupy the older kids - and just 90 mins from our home in Long Island. The wife doesn't ski, so she went to the Woodbury Commons outlets and more than occupied herself. In the evenings, we hit the mark twice at local places in Greenwood Lake (an Irish pub/grill and a family pizza place).
We've been coming to this area for a few years in the fall for apple picking, skiiing in winter, and golf in summer. We now know of a great place to stay when we extend our trips.
Thanks very much and we'll be back.

Room Tip: There are renovated rooms for a little more that you can ask for.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank NewYorkNYer
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Was able to book a last minute getaway from NYC for the weekend. Since i do not have a car, i loved that i could take a bus from port authority and walk to the hotel. i checked in and was able to kayak around the lake and stop at different bars and restaurants along the way.

The lake is situated near the tip of a beautiful lake with mountains on either side. Their location allows you watch both the sunrise and the sunset.

Such a charming inn, so close and so much to do - or not - depending on your need!

Hotel was clean and the staff was very hospitable.

Highly recommend!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank beth m
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This place definitely missed the mark if you are looking for a charming B&B/Inn experience. I think this place is an old Motel that was furnished long ago and is showing its' age. We arrived at the old Inn and had no idea where to go as the main building is closed and all of the rooms are located in a second building off of the main road. While walking around for a few minutes in the rain, we were called over to the second floor of the inn to the office. We thought the room was nicely decorated but it had not been thoroughly cleaned in quite sometime. The bathtub was fine but the shower was terrible - lots of limescale on the shower head and the shower faucet was broken and tough to turn on... All in all not a terrible place, but there are many better options in the Warwick area.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank toolman-traveler
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We were lucky enough to get a booking at very short notice for a 1 night getaway.
The setting on the lake is beautiful and there were ducks, geese and even a heron within sight. The main building seems to be being re-furbished at the moment but the lakefront annex is in good condition.
We arrived later in the evening and were shown to our room where the heater was already hard at work producing a very comfortable feel to the room. Matt who checked us in was a fountain of information on local restaurants and after discussing several options he called to get us a reservation (seated in front of the hearth - perfect seats) at The Old Forge. He couldn't have been more helpful.
The 4 poster bed was wonderfully comfortable and cozy, and the fact that we could decide what time we wanted breakfast delivered to our room in the morning was a nice 'extra' touch. Breakfast was fresh croissants, yoghurt, cereal, juice and coffee - which got the day off to a great start.
All in all a charming place to stay, well furnished in a country manner (not for people expecting modern or minimalist looks), and the hospitality was outstanding. I hope to be back soon

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IslandDragon
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We are not the only ones this has happened to. Check the Google Reviews here: http://tinyurl.com/antonsreviews

Antons on the Lake provides a service to reserve a room through their website. It not only allows you to select your room, but the number of nights you'd like to stay. I did this over a month before my stay. FOUR DAYS before I was supposed to check in (over a month later), I received an e-mail stating that they have a 2 night minimum (stated no where on their website as of 9/19/11). After a call, I found out not only did I not have my reservation, I didn't have a room at all because they booked the room I was supposed to stay in. Apparently no one checked their e-mail for my reservation.

When I spoke with Matt, who wasn't the least bit apologetic for their mistake, nor phased by the fact that a customer (or as they saw it, potential customer) was incredibly unhappy, I was only offered the Sunday Night of the weekend I had booked. This begged the question... why was a one night stay okay then? The offer was irrelevant since both myself and my girlfriend had work on Monday. At this point, no other bed and breakfast in the area could be booked. If I was told more than four days before my trip, I would have been able to salvage my weekend away.

All in all, I would never recommend Antons to anyone I know, and will never consider staying there in the future. My weekend in New York was ruined by their inept customer service.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Danny_G_385
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed with our 2 young children (3 and 6) for 3 nights. I chose it because of the lovely grassy area next to the lake. I thought the kids would enjoy playing there a little after a day of sight seeing. Unfortunately dogs (quite a large number of dogs, judging by the excrement they left behind) had gotten there before us. The children had to play inside. The room was a good size, the bathroom was tiny but had great water pressure. The breakfast was lovely but consistently delivered 45-60 minutes after we were told it would be there (9.30am instead of 8.30am). Again, not ideal for hungry kids, luckily we always have snacks with us. The surrounding area is really beautiful. The Woodbury outlet stores are 20 mins away and definitely worth a visit. So I would possibly recommend this place for older couples without children, looking for a budget option.

• Stayed: August 2011
Howard Johnson Inn Suffern
Inn at Stony Creek
Inn at Stony Creek
#2 of 7 in Warwick

Been to Antons on the Lake Country Inn & Marina? Share your experiences!