“Not elegant, but perfect for a casual beach stay”

Sound View Greenport
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Greenport
New York City, New York
“Not elegant, but perfect for a casual beach stay”
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Note: This beach hotel is rather old, but not run down. But everything was clean and worked just fine. The staff was nice, the breakfast, while not spectacular did the trick. If you are looking for modern/elegent, this may not be the place. Another downside is that it is located right next to a road...since i am from the city, I am used hearing traffic, for some it may be an issue. It isnt a highway, but it can be noticable.

We were able to book this hotel at the last minute, for a reasonable rate during peak season. The rooms all have excellent views of the sunset over the sound. Our room had a nice kitchenette (not sure if they all do) which very functional and clean, good A/C and nice shower.

The pool at the facility is a very nice size, not over crowded. Being on the LI Sound the beach, which is directly outside the hotel was a bit rocky, but a lot of people were in the water anyhow.

We ate at the restaurant, the Soundview, for dinner which was excellent and provided a great view of the water. We also went there for a few drinks in the evening. They had a live band, and a small crowd which worked for us.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice, fair priced, well located beach vacation either as a couple or family.

2 Thank jonfhills

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
NYC
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Not to lift from other posters but a few hit it on the head….Depending on what you are looking for this hotel is nice for the price and is a decent stay for anyone traveling on the North Fork with a moderate budget. The hotel provided us with a great rate for the height of the season. Good points…It is on the sound with magnificent views and a pebble beach (wouldn’t recommend swimming here though, too rough). Great workout room overlooking the ocean with a good, modern sauna. Its minutes from Greenport’s center and all the vineyards so we were close to all the action. The restaurant was really nice. Excellent service (manager, host, waitress were all at the top of their game) plus more wonderful views. The menu mainly features seafood and steaks—all of which are prepared well.Not so great…while the rooms were clean they could definitely use updating. If you are a light sleeper bring a fan. The walls are decent for a motel of this sort but it’s on a major road so expect a ton of noise at daybreak when the sun starts to shine. It attracts lots of couples of all ages, which was nice, but with a pool you will also find a lot of kids, unfortunately our stay included parents who let them run wild on the decks starting early in the morning (ie 630 am). Also the hotel said there was free internet but we could not get it to work so keep this in mind. All in all a good stay and the pretty views balanced out whatever else was lacking.

1 Thank MissHillNyc
West Islip, New York
Reviewed August 15, 2010

This was a last minute trip booked on a Thursday for a friday to Sunday stay. We were looking to just escape from it all, and although we live literally 15 minutes from the Ocean side of Long Island, we needed to shut the world away. We had passed by Soundview a number of times in the past on our way to the Orient Ferry, but never had the opportunity to go. As a life long Islander, the beach is part of our fabric of life, and we have traveled to some beautiful beaches from Key West to Mexico, to the outer Banks to the Caribbean. I have to say, when I stepped throught the room and onto the porch, the view of the Long Island Sound took my breath away. Immediatly felt the tension of the week seep away. On with the bathing suits, lounge chairs and settled in to read and sunbathe the next 2 days away. The room was large and clean. Nothing fancy, but just perfect for a beachy, sandy stay.Convenience of a small kitchenette for snacks and a refridgerator to keep drinks cold. Air conditioning worked but who wants to be indoors at such a great location? The kids had a ball exploring the sea shore, catching fish right off the beach, and going back and forth between the pool and the sound. Into Greenport for some nightime strolling, a visit to the merry go round, ice cream, and popping in and out of the great boutique shoppes. Played mini golf one night and ordered fresh lemonade and a bucket of fried chicken from drossers (which we took back to the Inn and had cold for lunch the next day) Eclectic and artistic and at the same time a small village type town that had a band playing big band music in the town square. Other things to do? Shelter Island, bike rentals, orient state park, kayak, public golf course, wineries.... only had 2 days, but will definetly go back for a longer stay. Cape May?? has nothing over the Soundview Inn and the North Fork of Long Island!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Merrick, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I would not recommend this hotel. Our room, which we paid over $250 for one night Sunday-Monday, smelled like mildew and there were aunts all over the bathroom. The view was nice, but you couldn't even sit outside on the deck without a million bugs around. Not to mention you couldn't enjoy the sound of the beach due to the traffic outside from the road. They should install some kind of insulation to muffle the sound. Oh and the garbage truck dumping the dumpster at 2:30AM was icing on the cake.We were very skived out by the hotel room. Definitely a disappointment. But the place was packed with people doing the staycation thing...I don't get it!! Oh and the restaurant was not so good either....It's soo dated..Just skip the whole place!!!

6 Thank klotito19
Watertown, NY
Reviewed July 29, 2010

My husband and I wound up staying at the Sound View Inn quite by accident. The motel we were originally going to stay at did not meet our expectations, and I went scouting out other options. I stopped into the office at Sound View, doubting that they’d have any vacancies, considering this was a warm summer weekend, but I spoke with Ellen, who told me that someone who’d had a reservation never showed up. If they cancelled, she would call me. Lo and behold, I got a call informing me the room was indeed available. We grabbed it.

We stayed in the newer part of the Sound View complex; a two-story building that offers “half suites” with private balconies and beach access. If this sounds pricey, it was. But I think it was money well spent.

Our room featured a king sized bed, two nightstands, a sofa, coffee table, dresser, TV, armchair and a spacious closet. Kitchen area included a table with four chairs eating utensils, stove, microwave and fridge. There were plenty of plates and utensils in the cabinets.
Bathroom was small, but clean and functional. Towels were in short supply and not the greatest quality. Plenty of toiletries provided, including mouthwash, toothpaste, travel toothbrush and even eye makeup remover sheets for the ladies.

Our room’s private balcony was priceless. We enjoyed our downtime in the lounge chairs, listening to the waves crash on the beach and watching the seagulls and the sunsets.
The biggest downfall of staying at the Soundview is the traffic noise. It’s nonstop. The walls facing the road are thin. We had to turn on the air conditioner to try to drown out the noise.
Housekeeping was very reliable and efficient.

The Sound View offers free continental breakfast between the hours of 8-10AM in the “gathering room.” This is also where you go Io use your computer. There is no Wi-Fi in the rooms.
Rates vary by season. We stayed there during peak tourist season, so it was $225 per night. The same unit costs $185 pre- and post-season, and $150 off-season. Simple bedroom units, in the older section of the motel, are even cheaper.

The hotel is adjacent to the Sound View Restaurant, one of the most popular dining spots in Greenport. It’s always busy and, in my opinion, too expensive. You can look at the menu in the hotel lobby.

BEST FEATURES: Clean room, comfortable bed, kitchen provisions, water view and beach use.
WORST FEATURES: Pricey, traffic noise, no Wi-Fi in rooms.

2 Thank Cricket975
New York
Reviewed July 20, 2010

My wife and I are nearing the end of our five day stay at the Sound View as I write this review, which is our first time in Greenport. Let me start off by saying that I LOVE IT! We were looking for a simple beachy place that was clean, has a nice pool and would be right on the water, the Sound View more than meets that expectation. Also, I would recommend the rooms with the private porch (the other rooms have a poarch but it's a long continuous one that runs the span of all the rooms. So, here's the scoop:
THE GOOD
- Beach right outside your room (however, I wouldn't swim there - there is a swimming beach right down the road with life guards).
- Every room has a sitting area right on top of beach
- Every room has a sunset view (unincumbered from your back porch and even more beautiful than Key West)
- Large, clean, well kept pool right off the ocean with plenty of comfortable lounge chairs, tables and umbrellas and a life guard/attendant (we threw the attendant a $5 - $10 tip each time - they deserve it).
- Large sliding door with screen - sleep to the sound of the ocean - nice sea breeze
- Room comes with coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator and utensils.
- Nice Fitness room
- Kid freindly. I met someone who has been coming here for 20 years and now brings his kids.
- Adult friendly. Children are not permitted in rooms on the 2nd floor, so if your a couple looking for romance book the 2nd floor room with the private porch.
THE BAD
- Small/Tiny bathroom
- Busy road in front of hotel, cars whiz by all night (you hear the ocean more, but you will hear the cars also)
- Simple room that shows it's age but they try to keep it up as best they can.
- Relatively clean. I say relatively because the maids don't always vacuum when they clean the room during your stay. Also, unless you put the sign out asking the maid to clean your room ASAP, it may not get cleaned until 4-5PM.
- No Internet. They say they have free wireless but it doesn't work (beleive me I tried) and even the front desk admitted that when it works (and is being used at peak hours) it doesn't work.
- No signal with Verizon phones, of course this is not the fault of the hotel. Our Verizon phones did work in town and my AT&T phone got five bars at the hotel and worked fine.
- Skip the restaurant. It has a nice view and is conveniently located but the food is mediocre and over priced. Eat in town instead, the restaurants there are great to name a few: Scrimshaws, The Market Organic (great for breakfast and lunch), Bruces Cheese Emporium and Cafe (amazing breakfast and lunch), That Little Italian Place - great Italian food.
THE BOTTOM LINE
if you want a lazy beachy vacation with a beutiful view, simple amendities, and a great pool (and don't mind the sound of the cars on the road outside or no internet) then this place is for you. If you want a luxury or box hotel, then go elsewhere.
LAST THOUGHT
For all the bad reviews I read no one mentions that this place costs half of the other hotels in Greenport. I have to give the owners credit, they have an amazing location and with some investment could have a preimere property; but then they would have to charge $500/night. Instead, they keep the place clean and maintained the best they can at a reasonable price; allowing families to enjoy a beutiful vacation, and a great location, within their means. The wife have decicded that we will come back every year with our college age kids and make this place a relaxing family tradition of our own. Also, the staff has been nothing but pleasent, I don't know where the rude people are from the other reviews because I haven't seen them here. BTW, do your research before coming - Greenport has some great activities and things to do, but you have to know about them. PICTURES WILL FOLLOW

Forest Hills, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I was hesitant to come based on negative reviews but really wanted a beachfront location so I took the chance. As soon as we arrived we were astounded at the beauty of the location. The road on one side of the hotel that many were bothered by was a small sacrifice to make to be in such a paradisical spot. Our room was clean and spacious and definitely worth it to spend the extra to have a private porch. We woke up every morning to views of the Sound that were just awe inspiring, peaceful and relaxing. Kids in the hotel had a great time, on the beach and in the pool all day. Next time I"ll bring my daughter. Five minute drive to Greenport where we only had excellent meals, specifically NOahs and Scrimshaw....yummmmmmyyyyyy. Make sure you take the time to walk down the beach, otherwise you will miss the endless beauty that this beach has to offer. Take a bucket for collecting some beautiful rocks and bring back some delicious local wine to enjoy on your porch. We had an incredible time, didin't want to leave. Will definitely return...thanks Soundview for providing everything we needed.

1 Thank matise01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Cliffside Resort Condominiums
Heron Suites
Heron Suites
#2 of 3 in Southold
Hyatt Place Long Island East End

Been to Sound View Greenport? Share your experiences!