“Nice, for a Price”

Sound View Greenport
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Greenport
Reviewed July 29, 2010

My husband and I wound up staying at the Sound View Inn quite by accident. The motel we were originally going to stay at did not meet our expectations, and I went scouting out other options. I stopped into the office at Sound View, doubting that they’d have any vacancies, considering this was a warm summer weekend, but I spoke with Ellen, who told me that someone who’d had a reservation never showed up. If they cancelled, she would call me. Lo and behold, I got a call informing me the room was indeed available. We grabbed it.

We stayed in the newer part of the Sound View complex; a two-story building that offers “half suites” with private balconies and beach access. If this sounds pricey, it was. But I think it was money well spent.

Our room featured a king sized bed, two nightstands, a sofa, coffee table, dresser, TV, armchair and a spacious closet. Kitchen area included a table with four chairs eating utensils, stove, microwave and fridge. There were plenty of plates and utensils in the cabinets.
Bathroom was small, but clean and functional. Towels were in short supply and not the greatest quality. Plenty of toiletries provided, including mouthwash, toothpaste, travel toothbrush and even eye makeup remover sheets for the ladies.

Our room’s private balcony was priceless. We enjoyed our downtime in the lounge chairs, listening to the waves crash on the beach and watching the seagulls and the sunsets.
The biggest downfall of staying at the Soundview is the traffic noise. It’s nonstop. The walls facing the road are thin. We had to turn on the air conditioner to try to drown out the noise.
Housekeeping was very reliable and efficient.

The Sound View offers free continental breakfast between the hours of 8-10AM in the “gathering room.” This is also where you go Io use your computer. There is no Wi-Fi in the rooms.
Rates vary by season. We stayed there during peak tourist season, so it was $225 per night. The same unit costs $185 pre- and post-season, and $150 off-season. Simple bedroom units, in the older section of the motel, are even cheaper.

The hotel is adjacent to the Sound View Restaurant, one of the most popular dining spots in Greenport. It’s always busy and, in my opinion, too expensive. You can look at the menu in the hotel lobby.

BEST FEATURES: Clean room, comfortable bed, kitchen provisions, water view and beach use.
WORST FEATURES: Pricey, traffic noise, no Wi-Fi in rooms.

2  Thank Cricket975

Reviewed July 20, 2010

My wife and I are nearing the end of our five day stay at the Sound View as I write this review, which is our first time in Greenport. Let me start off by saying that I LOVE IT! We were looking for a simple beachy place that was clean, has a nice pool and would be right on the water, the Sound View more than meets that expectation. Also, I would recommend the rooms with the private porch (the other rooms have a poarch but it's a long continuous one that runs the span of all the rooms. So, here's the scoop:
THE GOOD
- Beach right outside your room (however, I wouldn't swim there - there is a swimming beach right down the road with life guards).
- Every room has a sitting area right on top of beach
- Every room has a sunset view (unincumbered from your back porch and even more beautiful than Key West)
- Large, clean, well kept pool right off the ocean with plenty of comfortable lounge chairs, tables and umbrellas and a life guard/attendant (we threw the attendant a $5 - $10 tip each time - they deserve it).
- Large sliding door with screen - sleep to the sound of the ocean - nice sea breeze
- Room comes with coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator and utensils.
- Nice Fitness room
- Kid freindly. I met someone who has been coming here for 20 years and now brings his kids.
- Adult friendly. Children are not permitted in rooms on the 2nd floor, so if your a couple looking for romance book the 2nd floor room with the private porch.
THE BAD
- Small/Tiny bathroom
- Busy road in front of hotel, cars whiz by all night (you hear the ocean more, but you will hear the cars also)
- Simple room that shows it's age but they try to keep it up as best they can.
- Relatively clean. I say relatively because the maids don't always vacuum when they clean the room during your stay. Also, unless you put the sign out asking the maid to clean your room ASAP, it may not get cleaned until 4-5PM.
- No Internet. They say they have free wireless but it doesn't work (beleive me I tried) and even the front desk admitted that when it works (and is being used at peak hours) it doesn't work.
- No signal with Verizon phones, of course this is not the fault of the hotel. Our Verizon phones did work in town and my AT&T phone got five bars at the hotel and worked fine.
- Skip the restaurant. It has a nice view and is conveniently located but the food is mediocre and over priced. Eat in town instead, the restaurants there are great to name a few: Scrimshaws, The Market Organic (great for breakfast and lunch), Bruces Cheese Emporium and Cafe (amazing breakfast and lunch), That Little Italian Place - great Italian food.
THE BOTTOM LINE
if you want a lazy beachy vacation with a beutiful view, simple amendities, and a great pool (and don't mind the sound of the cars on the road outside or no internet) then this place is for you. If you want a luxury or box hotel, then go elsewhere.
LAST THOUGHT
For all the bad reviews I read no one mentions that this place costs half of the other hotels in Greenport. I have to give the owners credit, they have an amazing location and with some investment could have a preimere property; but then they would have to charge $500/night. Instead, they keep the place clean and maintained the best they can at a reasonable price; allowing families to enjoy a beutiful vacation, and a great location, within their means. The wife have decicded that we will come back every year with our college age kids and make this place a relaxing family tradition of our own. Also, the staff has been nothing but pleasent, I don't know where the rude people are from the other reviews because I haven't seen them here. BTW, do your research before coming - Greenport has some great activities and things to do, but you have to know about them. PICTURES WILL FOLLOW

Reviewed July 19, 2010

I was hesitant to come based on negative reviews but really wanted a beachfront location so I took the chance. As soon as we arrived we were astounded at the beauty of the location. The road on one side of the hotel that many were bothered by was a small sacrifice to make to be in such a paradisical spot. Our room was clean and spacious and definitely worth it to spend the extra to have a private porch. We woke up every morning to views of the Sound that were just awe inspiring, peaceful and relaxing. Kids in the hotel had a great time, on the beach and in the pool all day. Next time I"ll bring my daughter. Five minute drive to Greenport where we only had excellent meals, specifically NOahs and Scrimshaw....yummmmmmyyyyyy. Make sure you take the time to walk down the beach, otherwise you will miss the endless beauty that this beach has to offer. Take a bucket for collecting some beautiful rocks and bring back some delicious local wine to enjoy on your porch. We had an incredible time, didin't want to leave. Will definitely return...thanks Soundview for providing everything we needed.

1  Thank matise01
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Before I visited the Sound View Inn in Greenport, I read some reviews here on Trip Advisor and I have to say that reviews are subjective. My husband and I usually stay in four star hotels when we travel, but this trip we were looking for a beach location someplace closer to our home. The Sound View Inn is about 40 minutes east of our house and was well worth the visit. This hidden gem is located directly on long island sound and we could see and hear the ocean from our 2 1/2 bedroom suite. We spent evenings sitting on the wide balcony with the sliding glass doors open, sipping local wine and listening to music. The rooms were clean and comfortable - and the staff was polite and accomodating. One of the best quick getaways I've had in a long time. PERFECT for couples wanting to sneak away for the weekend. I want to point out that while this motel is located on the main road into Greenport, I had no trouble sleeping and was not disturbed by any traffic passing through.

1  Thank Triciak40
Reviewed July 3, 2010

My son and I just returned from spending 4 days at the Soundview, and as always, we had a great time. We come once a year and Ellen and Betty always remember us as soon as we walk through the door. As busy as they always are, they find time to chit-chat with us for a few minutes.
We love to come here because the fishing is great and it's right outside the back door of the rooms. You can't ask for more than that. We were a little disappointed this year because we only caught 26 fish and did not beat our record from last year of 28. The reason being was that it was very windy for most of our stay which caused the water to be rough probably sending the fish out to deeper waters.
I was very suprised on our last morning when the winds and water finally died down and I saw 4 guys raking up the beach from what had washed ashore the last couple of days. When they were done, the beach was spotless. Very nice attention to detail. Then I saw the same boys sweeping the parking lot. Ellen and Betty are obviously running a very tight ship and in my opinion are doing a very fine job at trying to please everyone.
Given the fact that the Soundview has been around for years, I think it's the best place to stay at when in Greenport. The updates and renovations that the owners have made after the fire some years back have paid off in my opinion to the best of their ability. The staff is always friendly, the pool always clean, and given the fact that the Soundview has been around but updated, it would be hard to find anywhere else to stay that offers so much.
My girlfriend and her sister-in-law and their kids will be going in two weeks. I also have a friend of mine at work who is planning on going. I'm sure they will all have as great as a time as we did.
We will be back again next year.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2010

The Sound View Inn isn't 5 star and provides just the bare basics, but its just what we wanted for a few days of complete relaxation. I look forward to my next visit.

1  Thank beach_ma53
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We wanted to be on-the-water and no further out then Greenport on the North Fork, so we chose Sound View Inn. We come out every year (stopped going to the South Fork many years ago when it just got too busy/crazy) at least once. This year we just didn't want to have to get in our car to go to the Sound/beach/ocean.

Obviously, this hotel is old (built in the 1950's) but it's well maintained, the staff is very friendly, and the convenience can't be beat. We stayed in the one bedroom which has a private deck. The room had been renovated and kept clean. One of the main benefits of being right on the water is that you get that great ocean breeze, so even when people in-land are hot and sticky you're being cooled by the wind off of the Sound.

The continental breakfast was a bonus - it was well-stocked and we only had to roll out of bed to the "gathering room" to get our morning meal. The pool is clean and has an attendant. The view across to CT is fantastic. We even had our own daily show of Osprey's diving into the water for their meals, and enticed a seagull onto our deck for a few close-up pictures.

For those used to the new hermetically sealed Holiday Inn sort of place, you're going to be disappointed. The sound of the water lapping against the shore is a comforting constant. Plus, the hotel (a motel, really) is right next to North Road so you will hear cars passing by.

We would (and will) definitely stay here again next time.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Harborfront Inn at Greenport
Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa
Shelter Island House
Shelter Island House
#1 of 5 in Shelter Island

Been to Sound View Greenport? Share your experiences!