“Overpriced Motel”

Sound View Greenport
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Greenport
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed at the Soundview for a friends wedding. We had stayed there before off season so I sort of knew what we were getting into but this time felt compelled to write a review. First off, the room was $215 a night which is not too bad for August on the North Fork, but it is still a steep price for a rundown room with stained carpeting, chipped paint on the walls and crank windows that don't work. One of the other people staying there for the wedding had to contend with ants streaming out of the drain in the bathroom sink. When he complained the hotel was not very helpful handing him a can of raid and offering windex (not sure for what). On top of this, the rooms are about 50 feet from the North Road (Rt 25A) and you could swear that you are sleeping on the median with the cars passing on each side of the bed it is so loud. What you are paying for are the views on the other side of your room. Each room has two doors, while the one door opens to Rt 25A, the other door opens onto a nice deck and beautiful rocky beach along the Long Island Sound. The beach is what allows them to charge what they do. fortunate for them (but infortunate for those of us paying to stay there) the place is full every weekend during the summer so I guess they are not too motivated to make improvements. We did enjoy the bar and the food at the restaurant was very good. We love the North Fork and make two to three trips a year out there but all in all I would only stay at the Soundview again as a last resort.

Room Tip: Go for the suites, request the 2nd floor and hope it is quieter than the ground floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank BKPSlope

Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 4-night (without our 5 children!) getaway, and I must say I miss it already!

I found that the value for the room was very reasonable, and there are no words to describe having the water right outside your door.

I will admit I was a little worried when we pulled up, seeing how close to the highway it was; however, once we closed the front windows and opened the back ones, all we heard was the lapping of the water on the shore, which was all we needed!

The ladies in the office were extremely helpful and pleasant; the restaurant was great (a little pricey for us but delicious food); and you just can't beat having the Sound as your backyard. The location is great; very easy to get to the vineyards, Shelter Island, shopping, etc.

We plan on coming back often!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aggie B
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The Inn is old but well kept, the beach is mostly stones with numerous large rocks in the water, many hidden at high tide. Nice restaurant on site. Close to the road so it can be noisy. Ice and vending machines at far end of motel depending on your room location it can be a long walk

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank richiepug
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My friends and I have been going out to the North Fork every summer for a few years now. Our usual hotel was booked, so we took a chance on the Sound View Inn. We were a little nervous about this place, as we had read some negative reviews. We were pleasantly surprised by the SoundView. After a day of wine tasting, there is nothing like lounging on a beach or hanging by the pool, and this hotel had both of those options. The rooms were nothing fancy, but they were clean and had refrigerators- though ours wasn't working so well. All rooms open up to a private beach, which was fantastic, and there were plenty of lounge chairs for guest use. The sunsets were amazing, as well. There are a few negatives; the pool closes by 6, the beach is quite rocky, and the hotel is right on the side of the road, so you constantly hear cars whizzing by. Overall, as long as you're not looking for the Hilton, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2011

and it has improved immensely over those years. I am originally from this area and over the years since about 1990 I have stayed here for family funerals, hometown events and to sell/manage property in the area when I could not stay in the property itself. They have always happily accomodated me. The new rooms are quite lovely as is the new lobby. The view over the Sound cannot be beat and this time it was as clear as a bell for the days that we were there - a little unusual. The addition of the breakfast bar is welcome as well. I was here for a class reunion that was actually held in the Sound View restaurant so this was a wonderfully convenient place to stay. My husband and I greatly enjoyed the back deck area outside of our room for evening sunset viewing. It is a little pricey, but everything in the area is, particularly during the summer. And when I heard that one of my classmates had paid $100 MORE for a room in Greenport...

We plan on going back and taking some of our friends from this area to that beautiful place that my California-born husband calls Baja New England. And we will stay at Soundview!!!

Room Tip: Keep in mind things are expensive out here. And in comparison to city environs, it may be a little...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank seashell3
Reviewed July 26, 2011

just the views and sunsets are enough to come back here again and again,but there is more.The two ladies responsible for running this hotel restaurant are always around if assistance is needed and they try to be as accomodating as possible.I always look forward to return trips and try to get here as often as I can.I think the food has always been good but the maybe even better the last few times.Nice bar, great pool,or just walk the beach ,we love it.Thanks so much,definitely see you soon.In season or not,a great place to be.

Room Tip: Call early as possible
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Beautiful beach. Lovely staff - very helpful. We would love to come back.
We stayed in an appartement with 3 teenagers. Even they relaxed... So peaceful. Nice food in the restaurant. Greenport is very special. North fork really grabbed us.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Cliffside Resort Condominiums
Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa
Shelter Island House
Shelter Island House
#1 of 5 in Shelter Island

Been to Sound View Greenport? Share your experiences!