“Awful food, awful service, awfully expensive.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Scrimshaw

Scrimshaw
Ranked #44 of 61 Restaurants in Greenport
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Front Street
Miami Beach, Florida
“Awful food, awful service, awfully expensive.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

I wish I had read the earlier review before I booked our dinner for at the Scrimshaw. Our experience was similarly awful. We were sat immediately and all seemed like it was going to be okay at the beginning of the meal. Our drinks arrived without incident, but things began to deteriorate quickly. When our guest asked the server for a fish recommendation, she suggested the lamb. My wife and I asked whether the salad was big enough for two people to share. The server said she didn’t know and she had to ask someone. She ran off and returned about 10 minutes later stating that the salad was good to share (it was not. It was tiny). It was served in a small bowl and no extra plate was brought – even though she knew we were going to share it. Next came the appetizers: Dim Sum (dumplings). They were okay, but lacked imagination. They were served with soy sauce.

I asked for my Salmon WELL DONE. It arrived very rare. Warm on the outside, cold center. When I say cold, I am not talking about room temperature. I am talking about refrigerator-cold. When I sent it back, it took what seemed forever. I’ll get back to that soon. Meanwhile, the duck ordered by our guest, was dry and hard to eat. The fillet tenderloin steak my wife was trying to eat was completely dried out, chewy, and very difficult to eat (she had asked for it rare). When she asked for steak sauce, they said they didn’t have so they brought her "salmon sauce." Now after our guest and my wife had finished eating (or decided they couldn’t eat that garbage anymore) my salmon finally made it’s way back. This time it was cold on the outside and had a warm center. It must have been sitting 15 minutes before the server brought it back to the table.

Dinner was over. We decided to have coffee. Another fiasco: First, the sugar bowl that was brought to the table had no sugar in it, Yes, it was completely empty. No creamer was brought with the coffee. When we asked for sugar and creamer, it was some time before the server returned with it. We were told they had no cream or half and half. Only low fat milk. No problem, except all the silverware was already cleared off the table and there was nothing to stir the coffee. Again, a long wait. Finally spoons arrived, but the coffee had gotten so cold that it was not drinkable.

Overall, terrible food, terrible service, and astronomically overpriced. Our tab was $222.00 and that was AFTER we sent a whole bunch of garbage back that we refused to pay for.

5 Thank RichardS_7

San Francisco, California
“Terrible! Avoid if you are hoping to get edible food.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2007

My husband and I went to the Scrimshaw for Saturday night dinner with another couple. Our 8pm reserved table wasn't ready when we arrived so we sat at the bar and had a drink while we waited. We finally got seated around 8:30pm.

Waitress took our order and then we proceeded to wait and wait for our appetizers. When we first arrived, the restaurant was crowded but by 9:15pm when we FINALLY got our appetizers, the restaurant was half empty so I don't understand what the delay was. The appetizers were ok - I got 6 very average dumplings for $12!

Then we proceeded to wait and wait and wait for our main entrees which finally made an appearance at 10pm. I bit into my scallop and shrimp salad and immediately spat everything out - not only was the scallop cold but it was RAW!!!! My friend had ordered a steak medium rare and that came out completely blackened! My husband and the other friend had both ordered the salmon and halibut plate - the halibut was cold on both plates but it was at least cooked and by this point my husband was starving so he ate it anyways. The other friend ate the salmon and left the halibut - wow, $27 each for that???

We had problems flagging down the waitress all night - no explanation for the long delays and no stopping by to even check if we needed more water or drinks. When we finally grabbed her to complain about the food, she said she would take my scallops back but that it would be another 20 minutes to cook the steak. HUH? How can it take 20 minutes to cook a medium rare steak???

In the end, we were so tired of waiting (by this point the restaurant was 3/4 empty) and getting ZERO service that we cancelled everything and left. Even with just 4 appetizers and 2 entrees, it came out to around $107 just for the food. The food was VERY MEDIOCRE and in no way worth the prices they were charging. This was one of the WORST dining experiences of my life and I've traveled all over the world so that's saying something!

To have to wait 2 hours then end up walking away with no dinner? Completely unacceptable - I will NEVER go back to that place, even if they offered me a free meal!!!

3 Thank Hopping-along