“Upscale Dining in a Cozy Village”
Review of The Frisky Oyster

The Frisky Oyster
Ranked #2 of 61 Restaurants in Greenport
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Frisky Oyster offers imaginative cuisine in a sophisticated, metropolitan atmosphere craved by locals and visitors for years. Our menu changes daily to showcase the most exceptional, local ingredients. The local and international wine list is personally selected to compliment the current menu. Starting at 5pm, we offer dinner in our stylish dining room or at the buzzing bar. DJ Frisky turns up the beat as the energy level rises after 9pm.
Southaven, MS
“Upscale Dining in a Cozy Village”
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We arrived in Greenport in the early evening (June 18, 2008) after taking the ferry from Connecticut. Not having reservations, we walked down to the Frisky Oyster.

It doesn't have much of a presence on the street. We actually passed it and came back to it. Looked kinda like a bar from the street.

We had no trouble getting a table but it filled up as the night went on.

It's hard to describe but we had the feeling that the waiters didn't have time to bother with us. It wasn't so much that the service was slow (could have been quicker but was fine) but little things like not pouring our water. They just brought empty glasses and a pitcher to the table and left.

Our salads were a real surprise. I ordered a Caesar salad. I got 2 huge chunks of romaine lettuce covered with dressing and cheese. I commented that it was one step from the garden. My wife ordered a chopped salad. She commented that hers was one step from cole slaw!

Regardless of appearance, both salads were delicious.

Dinner was excellent but should have been for the price, $118 for 2.

We enjoyed our dinner and would go back but for the next night, we went to the Chowder Pot Pub.

1 Thank Fastoy

new york, new york
“give summer weekends a miss”
Reviewed July 2, 2008

Have been a regular visitor to the Frisky Oyster in the off season. Last Saturday arrived at 8.55pm for 9pm reservation. The event was a pre-wedding celebration for good friends. We were told that they were running more or less on time. Waited in the crowded bar until 9.30 and made an enquiry into our table. Heard nothing until 9.45pm when we were given a meek apology. Left at 9.55pm, obviously no closer to sitting down to dinner. The situation was not dealt with well or graciously, therefore next time it will be the North Fork Table for us, where we have found the quality of food to be superior, though not as convenient to where we live.

1 Thank northfork1
London
“Well worth a stop”
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Nice place for a good meal out, we turned up Saturday and got seated straight away even though it was packed. The staff where very attentive and the food was top notch. However due to the thunder storms I am pretty sure the hostess was trying to steal our umbrella as she left but when I pointed out the situation apologised profusely. Next time in Greenport will stop by again

1 Thank sihunt
NYC
“Great Time, Great Meal!”
Reviewed June 13, 2008

4 of of us came to the Frisky Oyster on Memorial Day weekend. A local suggested the place for an above average meal. We didnt have a reservation but we were told we could wait a while and they would fit us in (it ended up being an hour) so went across the street and had a drink. The boys popped over to check if the table was ready and we were happy when they seated us at around 10pm. Our sever and the service was top notch as was our meal. I am going back again this weekend with a girlfriend. And I expect her to be really impressed. You just dont expect a place like this in Long Island. My suggestion is if you are a fussy pants, make a reservation and be on time for it. If you want to chill and go with the flow, pop-in and wait a while, its totally worth it in the end. L.G. NYC

Richmond, Virginia
“Do Not Go Here!!!”
Reviewed December 17, 2007

I visited the North Fork in November, just before Thanksgiving, with my boyfriend. We stayed in Greenport and after doing some research on dining, I decided to make a reservation at the Frisky Oyster, a lounge-y, trendy looking spot. I had heard great things about the food and the decor was pretty neat, based on their website.

I made a reservation for 6:30 pm on a Saturday, 2-3 weeks before the trip. I spoke to the owner on the phone and made the reservation with him.

The night of our reservation, my boyfriend and I showed at the restaurant at 6:25 pm. We checked in with the hostess, and the owner was beside her. I told her our reseravtion was at 6:30 pm. After scanning names, written in pencil, in a book, she said, no, we had you down for 6:00 pm. And I said, no, our reservation was at 6:30pm. Then the owner chimed in, we usually hold the reserved table for 20 minutes, and if the guests don't show, we give the table up. I said, well that's fine, but my reservation was at 6:30, so we should have a table. The owner insisted we had a 6:00 pm reservation, so after he offered to put us on the waiting list, which we refused, we left. No apology, no attempt to make things right.

Now, I would have second-guessed myself on the time I had made the reservation, expect that the SAME THING HAPPENED TO ANOTHER COUPLE AT THE BED & BREAKFAST WE WERE STAYING AT. They were a group of NINE, and the owner insisted the were late to their reservation as well, so he was forced to forfeit their table.

Even if the owner felt he had to "take care of the regulars," by bumping tourists' reservations, this is NO WAY to do business or to encourage tourism in this town.

Do not waste your time on this place if you are from out-of-town.

4 Thank DCwinelvr9