“great food..great views..great place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Calverton, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great food..great views..great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

my family and i have eaten here numerous time this summer and have always had a great meal. the service has been great..the view spectacular and the food outstanding! the prime rib is a must have at the chowder pot...

Connecticut
“The kind of place that should be great. Too bad it's not.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

Previous reviews have criticized the service. Based on my visit during a slow-to-moderate Sunday evening in July, I'd agree that the servers are young and perhaps not well trained ... but pleasant enough. My waiter was fairly efficient.
The meal itself, though, can only be called "disappointing." A restaurant with this name should presumably make chowder a specialty ... but the New England clam chowder I tried was bland, short on clams and overpriced. The bacon bits were a nice touch, but the chowder itself was heavy, sluggish and flavorless.
I also ordered a half-dozen raw clams; the kitchen sent out six of the smallest clams I've seen. They were good, but again - seriously overpriced.
Greenport is similar to Mystic, Santa Barbara, Rockport and much of Cape Cod in the sense that the upscale waterfront village section is pricey and crowded on weekends. So there aren't many places to get an good meal at a bargain price. Still, the costs here are out of line for the value received.
This is a small, informal, nautical-themed restaurant with patio dining available, and it ought to be a local gem. But I couldn't recommend this in good faith, and won't return.

New York
“Overpriced. Terrible Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2009

Our waitress was actually pretty good. Our main problem was that the food was flavorless, unimaginative and over-cooked. The fried-calamari was raw, the main course seafood was so bland and portions were small. The vegetables tasted liked they had been sitting in a steam tray of oil all day, however the french fries were ok. I could imagine this would be an ok place to grab a burger for lunch out on the patio on a nice summer day. Otherwise keep on walking.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cincinnati area
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Service was horrible, food was ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

As a visitor to Shelter Island, I have seen this place for the past 10 yrs and decided to finally try it. We walked in at 445pm and only 1 couple were in the establshment. We were greeted and sat immediatly. So far, so good. After a few minutes, the server (ashley) asked us what to drink and we ordered a water and a coke. After being served the drinks, the server and other servers were standing approx 3 feet from us discussing their day etc. I looked over at them a few times trying to hint that we were ready and nothing. I finally said "well I know what I want" only then did she come over. After ordering and being served the salad, the server looked at my empty water glass and walked away and went on to the conversation with the other servers. The water pitcher was about 2 feet from me and I was tempted to grab it myself. She then walked by again and did not refill it even after I made a slurp sound! We also had 2 cups of chowder which was not all great, I believe a can of campbells would have been better. After waiting approx 20 min and numerous walk bys, we were served our meal which consisted of the Fettuccine w/shrimp and the fish and chips. My wife politley had to ask for more drinks and only did were they refilled. My Fettuccine was good but the shrimp were tiny. The Blue cheese for my salad was great and highly recommened. The fish and chips were tiny and looked like something from King Kullen, for $12.95 I would have expected more than 2 small pieces and fries. Also, the price jumped from $12.95 to $18.95 after 5pm which is not worth the price for the small amount you get. When we received our bill, I was shocked that the coke was charged x2, I guess this is a NY thing because where we are from it is free refills but no biggie. IF I decide to go back, it will not be at night since apparently the service will be worse if only 2 couples and 5 servers are available before 5 and they can't seem to be customer friendly, instead worry about their own conversations.
For both meals, 2 drinks and 2 cups of chowder, total cost was around $48.00 which is ok I assume compared to other places. Also, if your server is named ASHLEY, ask for a different one.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cincy28
NY NY
“Great Spot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

This is a very convenient location near the ferry to Shelter Island. It's also very scenic from the outdoor dining area. The schedule (open year round) is a plus too. If you eat here, stick with quesadillas and other simple food. We ate fish one night and it was waaay off. The steak was a day old too. The salads are kept in a refrigerator already prepared and are sometimes frozen on the ends.

1 Thank PAM_from_LINY