“Service was horrible, food was ok”
Review of Chowder Pot Pub - CLOSED

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Cincinnati area
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Service was horrible, food was ok”
Reviewed July 7, 2009

As a visitor to Shelter Island, I have seen this place for the past 10 yrs and decided to finally try it. We walked in at 445pm and only 1 couple were in the establshment. We were greeted and sat immediatly. So far, so good. After a few minutes, the server (ashley) asked us what to drink and we ordered a water and a coke. After being served the drinks, the server and other servers were standing approx 3 feet from us discussing their day etc. I looked over at them a few times trying to hint that we were ready and nothing. I finally said "well I know what I want" only then did she come over. After ordering and being served the salad, the server looked at my empty water glass and walked away and went on to the conversation with the other servers. The water pitcher was about 2 feet from me and I was tempted to grab it myself. She then walked by again and did not refill it even after I made a slurp sound! We also had 2 cups of chowder which was not all great, I believe a can of campbells would have been better. After waiting approx 20 min and numerous walk bys, we were served our meal which consisted of the Fettuccine w/shrimp and the fish and chips. My wife politley had to ask for more drinks and only did were they refilled. My Fettuccine was good but the shrimp were tiny. The Blue cheese for my salad was great and highly recommened. The fish and chips were tiny and looked like something from King Kullen, for $12.95 I would have expected more than 2 small pieces and fries. Also, the price jumped from $12.95 to $18.95 after 5pm which is not worth the price for the small amount you get. When we received our bill, I was shocked that the coke was charged x2, I guess this is a NY thing because where we are from it is free refills but no biggie. IF I decide to go back, it will not be at night since apparently the service will be worse if only 2 couples and 5 servers are available before 5 and they can't seem to be customer friendly, instead worry about their own conversations.
For both meals, 2 drinks and 2 cups of chowder, total cost was around $48.00 which is ok I assume compared to other places. Also, if your server is named ASHLEY, ask for a different one.

1 Thank Cincy28

NY NY
“Great Spot”
Reviewed July 7, 2009

This is a very convenient location near the ferry to Shelter Island. It's also very scenic from the outdoor dining area. The schedule (open year round) is a plus too. If you eat here, stick with quesadillas and other simple food. We ate fish one night and it was waaay off. The steak was a day old too. The salads are kept in a refrigerator already prepared and are sometimes frozen on the ends.

1 Thank PAM_from_LINY
New England, USA
“Very Average”
Reviewed June 16, 2009

Best thing was the view of the ferries coming and going. Our chowder, salads, and baked stuffed shrimp were incredibly ordinary. The shrimb was advertised as having a scampi sauce. There was no sauce, just some melted butter on the bottom of the plate. It wasn't BAD, but it was just very ordinary. The mixed vegetables on my plated looked like they may have come from a can. You know how canned carrots look softer than fresh cooked carrots? That was the dead giveaway. The wild rice was also very ordinary. The service was very slow. We ended up turning our chairs and making it very obvious that we were really tired of being there until the manager asked if we needed something. We had to ask him to get our waitress for us. Dishes still all over the table, meal was long over. Front Street Station was MUCH better than this place.

New York City, New York
“Cute casual restaurant in a great location”
Reviewed June 6, 2009

This is a good and decent little restaurant. It's nothing fancy and a great lunch choice. The service is outstanding, and the outdoor seating has a fantastic view of the harbor and Shelter Island. The food is pretty good. I ordered the cajun chicken sandwich and I've definitely had better chicken sandwiches before. But it really wasn't bad. The prices are quite fair, and the atmosphere is cozy. I will definitely go again, but will order something different.

Southaven, MS
“Wonderful, Relaxing Dining in Greenport”
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I just had to respond the to review "Stay Away from this Horrible "Dining" Experience!."

He should go to the Frisky Oyster. That'd leave a table open for me at the Chowder Pot where I could overlook the marina while enjoying the friendly wait staff and delicious food.