“Local Gem”

Salamander's On Front
Ranked #3 of 70 Restaurants in Greenport
Description: Casual, eclectic dining with full service bar. Food is house-made, locally sourced when possible, organic or antibiotic & hormone-free from the finest purveyors. Full-service at tables & on the mezzanine. Specialty food store department offers fine imported foods & ingredients to take home. Take out menu available, including legendary fried chicken, etc.
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We walked into this restaurant randomly and it ended up being one of the best meals we had all weekend! The lobster roll was AWESOME...and the Spinach Ricotta Tart delicious. We highly recommend this place and WILL be back.

There are newer reviews for Salamander's On Front

Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had lunch at The Salamander today. The only reason for my 4 rating is it has a very small eat in area, but otherwise it is a 5 all the way. They do have take out, so that may be an option for you. The staff is marvelous as they are friendly, attentive, and efficient. Much of the food is from local ingredients and fresh baked items. Soups are unique and delicious. I had salmon and corn chowder. It had a delicate flavor that was light and appetizing. The Kobe beef burgers were done to perfection (as ordered), thick, juicy. and fine textured all served on a fresh brioche roll. The french fries were fresh cut, hot, and worth the trip in and of themselves. Normally my 3 yr old granddaughter will bite a fry and cast it aside or just not eat them. These she ate as if they were her all time favorite. I look forward to my next visit.

1  Thank M24D
Reviewed April 16, 2014

When people come to Greenport, we always get the fried chicken, purple coleslaw, and some ridiculously delicious dessert. This place is not cheap, but it's worth every penny for the quality of food you get here. She only carries a few cheeses, but they're the ones you want. The loaves of bread to go are crusty and the perfect picnic food. In summer when it's too nice to eat inside, we order ahead (which you should do for the chicken, they make it fresh to order and its takes time) and go nuts picking out all of the little bags of cookies and drinks you could want. I can't even call it a deli, which I guess, it is partly, but half restaurant, half to-go food. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

We ate here based on a few recommendations, and I'll agree with some others, the fried chicken was very good. However, the night we hit it, there was one poor confused girl, acting as the bartender, waitress, maintenance (cleaning up olive oil spilled all over the floor in the bar area), answering the phone, you name it! Took us a full 15-20 minutes from the time we sat to finally get the bottle of wine we ordered. Also had to ask twice for the side of mashed potatoes we'd ordered to go with the chicken, finally had to tell her that I'd like them WITH my meal, not for dessert. I don't blame the poor girl, but I do blame management, and I do believe one of the owners was there that evening, oblivious to what was going on evidently.

2  Thank Mark S
Reviewed November 29, 2013

When you travel in the off-season, you sometimes don't get what you want. We wanted to eat in the Frisky Oyster - it was shut.

But just over the street, Salamander's beckoned, and I'm rather glad it did.

There are a lot of good things to say - a nice restaurant, friendly service - the locals were greeted warmly. It also has the nice feature of having its own shop and I can wholeheartedly recommend picking up (and paying for!) a bag of wasabi peas - or anything else, it's a great little market.

But, lunch is what I came here for, and it was the lunch that was stand-out delicious. I ate a Kobe beef burger and it was just brilliant - really one of the best burgers I'd ever eaten. This is the kind of thing I would expect from one of Manhattan's finest yet here I was unexpectedly getting lucky over lunch in Greenport.

This place is a real find - enjoy.