“Amazing Fried Chicken, Poor Service”

Salamander's On Front
Ranked #3 of 71 Restaurants in Greenport
Description: Casual, eclectic dining with full service bar. Food is house-made, locally sourced when possible, organic or antibiotic & hormone-free from the finest purveyors. Full-service at tables & on the mezzanine. Specialty food store department offers fine imported foods & ingredients to take home. Take out menu available, including legendary fried chicken, etc.
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Went here to try the Fried Chicken on our "Food and Drink Tour" of the North Fork, based on reviews. Truth is, you just can't get good fried chicken in NY.

Walked in and was very impressed by their menu. Very different, exotic, flavorful, international items on the menu. But we were there for the Fried Chicken. Put in our order and they asked us if we wanted to eat outside or to take it to go. We told them we would eat it outside and paid. We were then told they would bring it out to us.

After waiting for THIRTY MINUTES, my husband went inside to gently remind them that we were still there and we wanted to change the order to get it to go because it had gotten chilly out there. Another ten minutes and we are now standing in the store looking like fools. We were the only ones in the store at this point and they only had two, maybe three customers that we watched come and go in the forty minutes we were waiting for our 8 pieces of chicken.

Somehow, someway, some one saw our food behind the register area where it had been sitting. We were completely forgotten about!!

We took our chicken back to our room and ate it. Was it good? Yes! It was AMAZING! But we were so turned off by the poor service....they were very friendly....just lacked effort. We would absolutely love to return to get the chicken again (and corn bread which was yummy too!), but might hesitate.....maybe if we call in advance to order and do not go outside and sit where we will be out of sight, out of mind?

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I go for the fried chicken, If you discover this place you should try the fried chicken. They have fried chicken on the menu; Did I mention the fried chicken would be a Good Choice?
This is some good fried chicken. The salads and sides are just as good. You can go wrong here. They even have outdoor seating during the summer season. One of my favorite hidden gems in Greenport Village. Eat in or order ahead for take out.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We ended up at this deli after my wife found good reviews on yelp. She knew I love fried chicken and so we went here for lunch when we arrived at Greenport for our honeymoon. The fella manning the counter informed us that the fried chicken is fantastic. We had to try and let's just simply say--it's the best fried chicken I've had up here in the North and also in the South. (And I've had good fried chicken in the deep South of the US). We loved it so much that we decided to takeout a box and eat it at a vineyard on our return drive home. Plus, the fella at the counter was really laid-back and cool and informed us of all the decent places to visit while we were staying at Greenport. Overall just the best.

1  Thank RobRags
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Shhhhhh...Read this and tell no one. Claudia is a brilliant chef. Whatever her daily special, you cannot go wrong. Her savory pastries are amazing, as are the chicken pot pies (I freeze them for times when we arrive on the Northfork late -- a cozy meal to pop in a 375 degree oven for 45 min). There's no better fried chicken on earth...a must try, and you'll be hooked. The pies are scrumptious. The assortment of specialty foods-spices, soups, breads, sauces are amazing, I've heard that Salamanders is the " go to" for many of the local Food Network chefs. I'm not surprised if this is true...Claudia has great ideas and knows what she's cooking. Although in good weather you may eat outside, food is best when taken home for special meals. Claudia, you make my life better...

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stumbled upon Salamander last night after night had fallen without realizing where we were. There are an abundance of places to choose from in Greenport but something spoke to us about this spot. Upon entering, I was immediately welcomed by the young server who answered my many an varied questions about the menu. Noticing my dog hovering outside, the server kindly pointed out the location of the water bowl, which was full.
After perusing their extensive menu and taking in all the goodies in the deli counter which included freshly cooked roast chickens decorated with rosemary sprigs, we settled on the fish and chips and the carnitas tacos. I also picked out some beets and goats cheese salad from the deli counter. Our food arrived quickly and it was all outstanding. I grew up in London on English fish and chips. Salamander's version not only took me back to my childhood but surpassed the soggy English version. The dish is supposed to come with either salad or slaw. We were treated to both. The purple slaw was just perfection. Not too creamy and still some crunchy consistency. The tacos, while small in size, were hearty and the pork was nicely seasoned. The beet salad is worth going back for. The server came and checked on us and chit chatted with us a couple of times and loved up on our dog. We appreciated that. I noticed a variety of in-house pre-made soups in the chiller and freezer cabinets and I plan to stock up before returning to Brooklyn. All in all, I would recommend a visit. The only reason for not giving five stars is we didn't try enough of the varied selection. Our fault, not theirs.