“Great food....great people”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
East marion
“Great food....great people”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

The food is always great and a good amount. You won't go home hungry. And for the moron who knocks the art prints...obviously has no clue about our local artist Rich Fielder. Gotta love the out of towners!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank kvb2226

Laurel, New York
“"Very Pleasant Experience on a winter day"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

This was my 3rd trip to Skipper's and found it to be a most pleasant luncheon experience.
The service was very attentive but un-obtrusive and the food was cooked to order and delivered together and hot - don't laugh...this is probably the biggest complaint people have at restaurants - Definintly try the Manhattan clam chowder - fresh, lots of clams and well-spiced. The Pot Roast is their signature dish, cut-with-a fork tender and a generous portion too. The decor is ancient --- I don't think they have re-decorated in 30 years but you won't care. The one major change I noticed since my last visit is the missing cigarette machine in the lobby - removed only last year. The bar looks like it did 50 years ago and still smells like cigarette smoke; brings back memories of my youth.....Anyhow, worth a stop...nice quiet atmosphere, good for chatting with friends, good food and service...

• Visited December 2013
Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“give it a chance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

we received a gift certificate to Skippers but after reading some negative reviews, we thought we would just not use it. then, we decided to go just to see how bad it could be. well, we are looking forward to returning. if you get over the outdated decor, the food is quite good. the yankee pot roast delicious and their salads were fresh and very tasty and the soups exceptional. service was friendly. the prices were high for that type of restaurant and thats the only negative comment we could make.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Fran L
Patchogue, New York, United States
“Without a gift card, I wouldn't go back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My fiance` and I went to lunch here on a random Saturday because I received a $25 gift certificate here. The outside looks dated, but the interior is cute. We wanted to eat outside, but they only had 1 very small table, and the view was of an abandoned gas station across the street. We were sat almost immediately, and the waitress came over to take our drink orders. The specials they had on their board sounded very nice, but definitely overpriced. Almost $20 for a CHICKEN and pasta dish....really?? However, I ordered the grilled chicken panini, which was outstanding. I'm not a big fan of roasted red pepper, but it was so well cooked that it totally made the sandwich. My fiance` on the other hand was told the burger was not that large. When it came out, it was HUGE. He also got a marinated burger, which was OVER marinated. Literally the marinade was running all over the plate. He could only finish 1/2 of the burger -- not so much because of the size, but rather the marinade was TOO overpowering. French fries were just OK, nothing special. We ordered dessert to go because we were both full (lava cake). I also wanted an espresso....the waitress told me it would take a few minutes for the machine to heat up. I then overheard her talking to someone in the back say "really? now, you need it on now??" It was about 3:30PM. Waitress came back to the table and told me it might be like 15 minutes before I could get my espresso -- I told her to forget it. My suggestion: don't offer something on your dessert menu you aren't prepared to serve. The machine should be on all day -- regardless of whether "most people" don't order espresso until after dinner. Or only make espresso an after DINNER dessert drink.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Michelle S
Orient, NY
“Decent - Could be GREAT”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Scary exterior suggests salty alcoholics slumped over the bar smoking Camel no-filters, Reality is that its akid-friendly reatsurant bar with bizarre-o cheap maritime artwork in the dining room, which looks awful, and historic sports news clippings and photos in the bar- which is so cool. Get rid of the crappy art prints and nasty plants and the whole experience could be a lot better.

Visited July 2013