“Outstanding Food, Beautiful Interior LOVED IT!”
Review of First and South

First and South
Ranked #13 of 67 Restaurants in Greenport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Opened in 2012, First and South is a relaxed atmosphere with quality fare, drinks, craft beer & wine! A well-rounded view of what the North Fork environment has to offer.
Orient, NY
“Outstanding Food, Beautiful Interior LOVED IT!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I nt here on a whim and the food blew my doors off. This chef pays so much attention to detail in presentation. All our dishes were beautiful. More importantly, the flavors proved to be very, very special. Try the smokey calamari or the KILLER chicken wings. I've been back three times and almost every dish had me shaking my head at how wonderful everything was. The only shortfall was the whole-roated Porgy. The bones - which I knew would be there going in - overwhelmed me, and the cold vegetables underneath were juts no tthat appealing to me. That being said - this place is really cool, the people there are cool, the bar is cool and I hope they succeed...

• Visited August 2013

Nassau, New York
“Dissappointed”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had high hopes approaching First and South based on the customer reviews. We started well. The venue was pretty, the outside dining area was attractive and breezy, and the staff was friendly and pleasant. The cucumber and almond soup was delicious as was my wife"s tomato and sunflower salad. The whole Porgy I ordered was ok, but overpriced at $27. Things went downhill with the roasted eggplant risotto my wife ordered. When the waiter inquired about the dishes, my wife responded pleasantly that the risotto bottom was burned, the eggplant was chewy and the dish was spicy though it had not been described that way on the menu.. Apparantly not sure what to say, he walked away without any response. No offer to replace the dish with another or any other accommodation. Later the same dialogue was repeated with the manager, who mustered an "I'm sorry". Good restaurants do better than that.

• Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Foodie must”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I ordered the squab. Yes they had squab that was perfectly cooked with amaranth and farro and blackberries. The only false note was the dried watermelon. I think that if the chef had used more blackberries it would have been sublime.
The blueberry pie from (Briermere Farms. 4414 Sound Ave., Riverhead, NY 11901) was the BEST!!!!! We had it warm with vanilla.
This is relaxed atmosphere where you can go in jeans or a nice dress, with your spouse or a bunch of small kids as was the table for 12 that was set up as we were finishing dessert.

This is a place to go for the food!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank thekoms
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Get the cucumber soup!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

First and South was a very pleasant surprise for me. I only went because the restaurant I had wanted to go to was closed, and I'm glad it was. To cut straight to the point: the chilled cucumber and almond soup was amazing. Go here and get it right now. I also recommend the Lieb Pinot Blanc; it's a nice combination. The waitstaff was great, and I love that the meal came not with bread and butter but homemade crackers and goat cheese. Yum! I also had the "carrot salami" special, which was interesting. I'm not sure if I'd have it again, but it was a nice adventure. It came with really good, thick mustard, which I always appreciate. Oh, and I also got to sit outside. Extremely comfortable.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Shnaa
New York City
“Great location and atmosphere”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is a great spot to go to with friends or family. They have a very nice outdoor seating area to enjoy if the weather is good. The inside is casual and friendly. The food is good and they offered gluten-free options which is always an added bonus (for me). I would definitely recommend.

Visited July 2013