“Sweetest Getaway on Long Island!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Greenport
Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Greenport
San Diego, California
“Sweetest Getaway on Long Island!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

We're a family who love our holiday retreats, and this year, while in NYC, our friends recommended Silver Sands in Greenport. It was great to escape the city, and after an easy drive up, we had the best time of our whole summer! Silver Sands is everything a getaway should be: Comfy, low-key, beautiful and pleasant. Our cabin was perfect, a few steps from the beach, and the woodsy environment added a touch of nature so the kids could go romp and have their adventures. Staff there are top-notch, the complimentary breakfast made the morning meal a breeze, and it's only a quick shot down the road to the middle of Greenport, a charming little village. We loved it, and we're already talking about going back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank DocuDave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Smithtown NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2010

Don't let the word motel fool you. The Silver Sands is much more than a motel. Over a quarter mile of private beachfront and 36 acres on Peconic Bay overlooking Shelter Island provide the setting for a great Long Island vacation.
The Silver Sands is a friendly, unpretentious resort where you and your children will be comfortable, safe and have plenty to do. The owners and staff are the nicest people you will ever meet, and dedicated to the well-being of their guests. My wife and I have been coming here with our three daughters every year since they've been born, a time we always look forward to and savor.
In addition to standard motel rooms there are also 2-room suites to provide extra space and privacy. Our suite was clean and the beds felt comfortable and new. All the motel accommodations come with mini-fridges, microwaves and coffee makers. The staff stocks each unit with ample fixins for continental breakfast each morning, plus complimentary newspapers. There are also cottage rentals available.
On our recent stay there, we parked ourselves at the pool each day, kayaked on the bay (recommended) and dined at a few of Greenport's inviting eateries. On several evenings we decided to kick back and barbecue (facilities available). The proprietors also operate an oyster farm and were serving fresh oysters on the beach when we were there.
But the real beauty of the place is that you don't have to do anything but pull up a chaise, feel the breeze off the bay as the sun sets and enjoy a little slice of heaven.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank photomike7
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

I hated to leave this place yesterday after our 2 nights. As others have said before the decor, appliances etc are decades old but everything works and there is a charm to this retro environment ! If you are looking for modern, trendy, new...this is NOT the place for you. But if you want a wholesome, tranquil atmosphere in a special spot make a reservation here. We spent 4 nights in 2 local B and B's before coming here for our last 2 nights and much preferred Silver Sands.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stonewell
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2010

This is a little late in coming but my husband and I are planning another trip back in June and wanted to add to the reviews. Last July 4th we found ourselves with no plans so we decided to head out East. I didn't think I would get a reservation anywhere and called several places we had stayed before...and I did find a couple but mucho $$$$. Then I called Silver Sands and boy was their price right! The person on the phone was very nice and was happy that we had chosen Silver Sands. You have to understand that out on this end of town, people don't really give you that feeling so it was refreshing! We had a WONDERFUL weekend. The place is dated but SUCH fun! We were two doors off the beach deck and the sunsets were beautiful and relaxing. If you don't like the sun, there are plenty of beautifully manicured lawns and trees to perch under with a good book. What none of the other reviews have mentioned is that this place is about 10 minutes from Island's End Golf Course!!! We are golfers so our clubs came with us. The course is beautiful and fun to play. The 16th and 17th holes overlook the Long Island sound. Clean beautifully kept clubhouse and friendly bar! We had a blast. You have to try this place! Just know that the rooms are a little "70's" looking but CLEAN, BRIGHT, GOOD AC, COMFORTABLE and can easily sleep 4 people (two rooms!). AND, you are about 20 minutes from Orient Point's ferry over to CT where you can do some gambling at Fox Woods or Mohegan Sun!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

I have to start off by saying that I NEVER write reviews...but I definitely should. The previous reviews were so helpful in making my choice of where to stay in Greenport. I was staying with my boyfriend (who proposed while staying for the weekend here!) We had a simple motel room and walked out to the beach. The room is nothing special but all you need. The lady at the front was too sweet and helpful in anything we needed. We were given simple breakfast items for the next morning and were perfect. The distance is barely minutes into town...easily reached by car or cab. The town of Greenport is so quaint and the area is filled with so much to do (wineries, shops, restaurants, the water, the beach, etc.) I am returning for a girls weekend and would choose nothing more than the Silver Sands!!!! Thanks to the Silver Sands for being what so many lodging facilities aren't anymore!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
long island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2009

I was looking for a new place to stay close to the wineries and read good reviews on tripadvisor about silver sands. The reviews were right on. From the way I was handled on the phone til the moment I checked - I knew I had found my new hotel. After staying at 5 - 6 other hotels on the island, the attitude at this hotels was totally refreshing. I felt they couldnt do enough for me. Granted the rooms dated but very clean and well kept . Loved the surrounding area and beach. Will be BACK SOON.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlantic Beach, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2009

Everytime I visit the Silver Sands Motel In Greenport, it gets better, the people are the best I have meet in many moons. just great, hope to get back again soon.
PatsyBoyle Hagner,
Atlantic Beach, New York

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Sound View Inn
#2 of 3 in Southold
Shelter Island House
Shelter Island House
#1 of 5 in Shelter Island

Been to Silver Sands Motel & Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!