“The most hospitible B&B i've ever stayed in”

Stirling House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 10 Greenport B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 12, 2008

I've been meaning to write this review for a while, I stayed here at the end of August '07 the weather was fantastic and I had the Shelter Island Room with awesome views of the water. The room was extremely clean & spacious with breakfasts to die for - worth visiting just for the house speciality!
They have this brilliant porch where you can sit out and look directly over the water (perfect if you want to chill out and read as the sun goes down). It has a clear view straight down the dock onto the water which looked too tempting to resist.

We wanted a day on the water and the host was able to organise a trip for us with ease through their contacts. I didn't once feel as if I was in the way like some B&B's, it was a really relaxed, calm and enjoyable experience - so much so I hope to visit again this year.
I'd highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed April 29, 2008

The Stirling House B&B is a truly wonderful place. The host was so helpful, and the views of the harbor were really relaxing. I think I gained 5 lbs from the breakfasts. They were absolutely delicious, ask for the German apple pancake with the raspberry syrup. It is wonderful. We'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank chiefchirpa
Reviewed April 22, 2008

My friends and I recently enjoyed a VINE TIME weekend at this beautiful B&B, which is one of the special events offered by Clay, the owner of The Stirling House. The rooms were beautifully decorated, spacious and spotless. His attention to every detail from the dinner reservations at local restaurants, the escorted winery tours, the incredible breakfasts he cooked for us each morning and the special homemade snacks waiting for us every afternoon were enough to make us want to make a return trip to The Stirling House B&B.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank soxfans1
Reviewed December 24, 2007

Stirling House Bed & Breakfast

I stayed at Stirling House in their “Greenport” room in early October. Stirling House is extremely convenient, reasonably priced, clean & charming. I especially enjoyed the proximity to water – I loved sitting out of the pier late at night, dangling my feet! Long story short, I look forward to returning to the vineyards around Greenport & would definitely stay at the Stirling House again.

Convenience could not be surpassed. From what I could tell, this was the most centrally located B&B / lodging option in Greenport. It’s an easy walk from the LIRR train station / Jitney bus stop – 10-15 minutes max & it’s in the center of town – an easy walk to the area’s bars & restaurants – especially important when venturing out after a long day of touring the vineyards & rightfully, not wanting to drive. While there, I dined at The Frisky Oyster, which was stellar.

The owners definitely pay attention to detail – the house is very clean & intricately furnished. They have several different rooms that you can choose between – I stayed in the Greenport, which was nice.

Breakfast was included & quite good.

There were just a few minor details to callout. The most important is to definitely call ahead to confirm & double confirm. The owners live out of town & at the time of my arrival (which was early, though pre-confirmed) they were out of town. The bathroom had a shower stall, no bathtub. Lastly, I was looking forward to enjoying the “fireplace”, but it turned out to be a faux fireplace – the electrical, no firewood type.

Separate note: I toured several vineyards with Vintage Tours[-]. The tour guide / owner, Jo-Ann, was amazing. Great experience that I will definitely do again!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
stirlinghouse, Owner at Stirling House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2009

This was a wonderful review. I do, however, need to address two items. This is my home and i do not live out of town. I had agreed to an early check-in as a courtesy, even though I had a rare night off the night before, and stayed in NYC after seeing a show, dinner, etc. The LIE traffic was terrible and I was late, acually arriving at the normal time of check-in. I didn't realize during their stay that it had been an issue, as they were reading on the front porch. FYI, we are a two minute stroll from the shopping and dining district.
The other item is that all the rooms have fireplaces. They are state of the art electric fireplaces, which are the "safe" kind. B&Bs use them for safety. The fireplaces are clearly mentioned on the website, and they are noted as electric. Guests love them, by the way, as they can have a romantic fire in the height of Summer (as the heat element can be switched off).

Reviewed August 27, 2007

Stirling House is a true gem! Clay is a mervelous host, knowledgeable about local sights, eats, and activities. The house is beautiful and the lovingly prepared breakfasts made me feel thoroughly pampered in elegance. Thanks for a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at this B&B last summer in July '06 to celebrate our 3 year anniversary. We stayed in the French Room Suite and found it delightful & clean. The bed was comfortable with quality linens. The room itself doesn't have a much of a view of the water but you can sit out on the porch and enjoy a summer night. The breakfast each morning was delicious.

Greenport was quite expensive but it was nice getting out of the city to enjoy some fresh air and experience the nice town.

We stayed for 2 nights and paid around $250 per night. It was well worth it and I would gladly stay again.

Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank Moonbeam720
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, Ca
Reviewed January 10, 2005

We have been to a number of places in town, and Stirling House is by far the best place to stay. Immaculate and friendly, Stirling House is the place of choice for anyone looking for a quality stay. It is also well situated, right in Greenport.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Harborfront Inn at Greenport
#9 of 10 in Greenport
North Fork Guest House
North Fork Guest House
#1 of 8 in Cutchogue

Been to Stirling House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!