“Fabulous food from a fabulous host!”
Review of Biere - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Visiting America from Australia, we dropped in to Bier with our New Yorker friends who were showing us around Long island. Apparently someone knew someone who thought that maybe Bier was the place to go. We poked our heads in, were not sure and almost left. The proprietor, Frank, confidently assured us we were in safe hands and we tentatively sat down at the bar for some Italian style tapas.
The first course was a bowl of truffle infused pumpkin soup beautifully matched with a glass of local white wine. It was a great start but what followed was even better. Many delicious dishes including chicken, lamb, antipasta, rabbit, and gnocchi, appeared from nowhere, each matched perfectly with a glass of excellent local wine. Interspersed with this, local characters popped their heads through the door to offer a witicism or to give Frank a bit of cheek. He is apparently popular in these parts. With a feeling of elegant suffice we declined the offer of desert but the plate of cakes and tarts appeared regardless and we couldn’t resist.
Frank had not held back on the wine. I recall much laughter. I recall one of those moments in life when the stars seem to align and everything falls into place. I think I recall telling Frank that I fair dinkum loved him. I recall a special food and wine experience shared with good friends that I will cherish for a long time.
True Americans, our hosts insisted on settling the bill. Only after leaving did I discover the list price of the experience was $25 a head including wine. Although they had tipped generously I felt bad that I hadn’t contributed more to the tip. I have at times paid four times that price for such food. This is my tip to Frank and his tapas.

5  Thank Maccyoz