“Okay food, horrendous service”
Review of North Fork Oyster Company - CLOSED

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bay Street
Transit: Hampton Jitney, LIRR, Shelter Island North Ferry
Description: Greenport's newest upscale seafood restaurant, North Fork Oyster Company, serves creative cuisine featuring the freshest seafood from the waters surrounding it on the east end of Long Island. The casually elegant space has been completely renovated to include an oyster bar and outdoor patio dining, as well as a wood-burning fireplace for the winter months. Daily specials, local beers and wines, and a seasonal menu featuring the freshest local seafood and produce, create the ultimate North Fork dining experience.
East Rockaway, New York
“Okay food, horrendous service”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I ate there April 27, 2013.

Let me preface this by saying that I was a waitress. I have a lot of patience for wait staff and I know that, sometimes, bad days happen. That was not the case here.

The waitstaff here was the worst staff I have ever encountered. We were seated promptly and then ignored for 10 minutes. Our waitress, Sharon A, came over and asked if we had a waitress yet. We said no and she said she would be our waitress. Great.

She didn't know the specials, we had to ask for the bread basket, she brought the wrong food over to us. That seems to be the way things are done as we made a game of watching the food runners bring the wrong food to wrong people every single time they came out. Every single time. My husband asked about their oyster menu and our waitress couldn't provide info. We listened to the table next to us ask their waitress about the oysters and she couldn't answer either. Considering this establishment is called the North Fork Oyster Company, the waitstaff should have a base knowledge of oysters.

The food was fine. The cornbread in the bread basket was amazing. We ordered calamari for an appetizer. It was fine, nothing special. My husband ordered 1/2 dozen Peconic Bay oysters. They were oystery. For dinner, my husband got the oyster and shrimp po'boy. He said it was good.

I ordered the swordfish. It was described with roasted carrots, sunchokes, baby potatoes and lemon broth. Do you see the word garlic in my description? Well, they neglected to put it in their menu description as well. I pulled 11 whole garlic gloves out of my dish. The swordfish was very dry. It was a pretty inedible dish.

The last thing I heard as we were walking out was a man at his table complaining loudly that he did not get the dish he ordered and that the quality of the restaurant had become non-existant. I cannot speak to the former quality, but I can assert that I would never spend another dollar on this establishment.

Massapequa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful since changed hands”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We have gone to this restaurant nearly weekly since it opened. We loved its casually elegant atmosphere and sumptuous food. We haven't gone back since Hurricane Sandy, as we were rebuilding our home. Since it was our anniversary, we thought we'd go back. What a mistake! We immediately sensed something was off when our hostess greeted us. "Do you have a reservation"?, she asked archly. It was 5 pm and there were exactly 4 patrons in the place. No, we didn't. Did we need one? Her demeanor was cold, condescending and generally uninterested. My father ran a food and beverage department at a major hotel for many, many years. I can assure you of her fate had he seen her in action at his place. So what happened to this place we used to find welcoming, warm and such a nice place to relax with friends?

NFOC, we discovered, was recently purchased by Keith Luce. I understand Mr. Luce is quite a chef, but you'd never know it from the quality of product and service we received. Our oysters were tasty, but had some shards of shells in them. The dipping sauce was some godawful concoction that resembled bottled salad dressing. To toast my husband, who isn't drinking because he's on pain killers, I ordered a chenin blanc. I received a CLOUDY glass of wine that was visibly spoiled. Of course, they comped me the wine. Did they have the other wine I requested? No. I settled for a beer. I must state that I expect a chef of this alleged calibre to have a far broader and more palatable array of wines by the glass, or at least demi carafes. This is clearly a transition period, when the restaurant should have remained closed. Sadly, it didn't, and the clueless service, awful food (my husband's fish and chips were soggy and had an aftertaste of old cooking oil..my salad with seared tuna and basil vingraitte was flavorless except for the odd bits of bacon) spoiled our celebration.

We won't be back. You don't deserve another chance if you are this greedy, Mr. Luce. Your customers deserve proper attention to detail, and tasty, fresh food, especially at your price points.

NY NY
“Friendly Staff, Ok Food”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We ate dinner last Sunday evening at NF Oyster after a friend of mine dined there a few weeks ago and recommended it. My friend had steak which came sliced already and was not rare as he ordered it, but medium well done, and served with hash browns. I ordered shrimp and oyster po boy, which was a disappointment. There were 2 fried shrimp and 3 fried oysters on a massive hot dog style roll with little bits of mesclun and a dab of dressing inside the bun and a huge portion of fries. I had a glass of wine which was a quick, skimpy pour. The service was prompt and friendly. The food was ok, but overpriced for what is served.

New Jersey,
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Looks like it should be better than it is.
We thought it would be better than it turned out. Our food was just OK, and the service was, at best, indifferent. Our waiter was ok, but the service seemed disorganized. There was a gaggle of youngsters sort of aimlessly wandering around with water and bread, etc.. Off-putting. The place looks good, and it charges plenty. I see a wide offering of raw oysters, and I imagine that attracts some, but, based on our experience, it is a miss. Pretension without performance is a drag.

Visited March 2013
sag harbor, ny
“Great Sunday afternoon”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stopped by on a Sunday afternoon for a bite to eat, and had a great meal. Greenport was wonderfully quiet - and delightful. It turns out they had just reopened after a winter break and I feel like it was our lucky day. We sat at the bar and had a dozen oysters (2 different local) with a really nice mignonette ( although all they really needed was lemon and pepper!). My oyster po'boy and fries were just right and the coleslaw excellent with a touch of sesame oil- nice. We look forward to coming back!

• Visited March 2013