“Unless you get a cheap price, stay somewhere else”
Review of Townsend Manor Inn

Townsend Manor Inn
Ranked #10 of 10 Greenport B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I'll start with the positives. The room was clean, the bathroom was brand new and beautiful and the water pressure in the shower was great. The woman who checked us in was polite and helpful.

The woman at the desk is where the service ended. When trying to check out, no one was around and when we called a number listed for service no one answered. Upon the second call, we were informed the office doesn't open until 9. Seriously? The hours aren't posted anywhere so for those who want to check out early, it's confusing and inconvenient.

If you're expecting the decor and service that you would normally get at a $200+ hotel, you will be disappointed. The rooms were dated and the buildings looked like they were falling apart. The walls are paper thin: we heard every door opening, our neighbors showering, and people outside. The location also wasn't great. There were a few shady characters and dilapidated buildings nearby on the walk to the main strip.

Overall, it wasn't the worst place we've stayed; if we had paid $100, it would be what I would have expected, but for over $200, it was a really bad experience and I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2012
5  Thank vix814

Reviewed December 23, 2011

Whenever I head to Greenport and I am not staying with friends, I make sure I reserve a room at the Townsend Manor Inn. The rooms are comfortable and spacious, accommodates large or small families or just a single occupant. The hotel also accommodates travels who arrive by boat and for the traveler who plans on a lengthy stay; there are boat slips available, reserve your spot early. Best of all, the hotel is located within walking distance to the Village of Greenport. You won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: There are rooms that look out over the water and rooms that are scenic that don't face the water...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 20, 2011

My husband and I paid an unexpected visit to the North Fork in December of 2011. I happened upon the Townsend Manor Inn while surfing the web and decided to book it, based on attractiveness of the rooms, reasonable prices and decent customer reviews. I was familiar with the place as a restaurant back in the 1990s, but wasn't aware that there are actually three separate buildings for lodging.

We stayed in the main building (the one with the pillars) in Room 51. We pretty much had the place to ourselves. The room was large and well-furnished, with two double beds, a full size chest of drawers, a flat screen TV with DVD player, a mini fridge, microwave, nightstand, small table (barely room for two to dine together), two chairs, lamps, clock radio with CD player, coffee maker and an ironing board and iron. An extra blanket and pillows were found in the large, open closet. The room was decorated in warm, gold-tone accents. The bathroom was clean, with new, antique-look fixtures. Adequate amount of towels, which were clean and white, but not very absorbent. Shampoo, conditioner and hand soap were provided. Shower worked fine, and to the husband's delight, the bathtub had jets for easing his tired muscles.

There is a common room downstairs for relaxing, reading or socializing, with a guest computer available. The staff gets there at about 9AM and locks the place up around 10PM.

The Townsend Manor Inn offers free wi-fi (works great) in rooms. They have satellite TV, which was disappointing, because I couldn't get the local news station (channel 12). Housekeeping was EXCELLENT. The first day, they didn't bring new shampoo/ conditioner, and when I called for more, they promptly brought up multiple bottles. Every day we came "home" to a tidy room that smelled pleasant and fresh.

The staff at TMI was courteous, but I'd stop short of saying "friendly." None of them (we dealt with three separate people) ever offered their names, which I thought odd. My only other complaint would be that the phone book in our room was outdated.

The Inn is located about a 10-minute walk from the heart of downtown. Located in a mostly residential area (there are several churches close by), it is not exactly off the beaten path, but it's not in a crazy-busy section, either.

The off-season rate was $150 a night. I'd definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cricket975
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Hotel was nice, this was off season, Woman at the front desk was very nice, helpful, good recommendations on where to eat, etc.

We rented a King bedroom w fire place. I made the mistake of bringing firewood and a duraflame log. It was a mistake because it is a lighted fire place, no head, no real flames..

A bit misleading considering I paid extra for the fireplace.

Hotel is walking distance to the cute town.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NewYorkBeachTraveler
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed at the Townsend Manor on Sept. 23 and 24, 2011 during the Greenport Maritime Festival. On the plus side, the location is wonderful, and the grounds and outdoor facilities are lovely. There is considerable charm to the place since the buildings date back to the 1800's, and they have been maintained rather well. However, the room we were given in the Gingerbread House was very small. At $245 a night, one would hope for a larger room and more updated furnishings. The curtains that closed over the patio doors were shredded, and there was a smell of stale perfume or air freshener throughout the building. It was evident that they are making an effort to improve the place as the carpets and the bathroom were new, but we were so uncomfortable and so turned off by the smell, that we didn't stay the second night. They did offer to move us to another room, but we were so tired from walking around all day, that we just packed up and left. My advice to anyone who wants to stay there is to be sure to ask for one of the fully updated rooms, and inquire about the size of the room as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refinished room. Noise from the boaters in the marina can be annoying, but there...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rittz
Reviewed August 27, 2011

My husband & I stayed at Townsend Manor Inn during a visit to Long Island wine country. Since most hotels have 2-3 night minimum on summer weekends, I was fortunate to find an opening here for one night. They have different types of accomodations. Our queen room was upstairs in the cottage. Although on the small side,the room was very well appointed and had a fridge,coffeemaker and a large closet. Several windows made it very bright and cheerful. We didn't use the pool, but it was large & clean with plenty of lounge chairs and a snack bar. Townsend Manor also had a dining room and lounge although we went into Greenport Village for dinner.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank JF945
Reviewed August 24, 2011

My family and I stayed at the Townsend Manor Inn July 2010. We loved our time there! Townsend is in a beautiful location with water views and charming atmosphere. Our room was newly furnished, clean and quiet. It almost feels as if you are staying with family! Bathroom was completely new and updated. We loved the pool and the smaller kiddie pool. I highly recommend Townsend Manor Inn to families who are visiting the North Fork!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Sound View Greenport
#7 of 10 in Greenport
American Beech
American Beech
#9 of 10 in Greenport

Been to Townsend Manor Inn? Share your experiences!