“Went For Work... Stayed For The Boho Victorian Love Vibe”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greenport
Ruby's Cove Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 10 Greenport B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 11, 2011

I've been traveling out to the North Fork for business off and on since October 2010 and have had the wonderful good fortune to find myself bunking down at Ruby's Cove in the historical seaport village of Greenport, NY.

Honestly, I don't know where to start, except to initially qualify that when I say I found me some "Boho Victorian Love Vibe," I did not transpose and mean to write, "Hobo"...! LOL.

You see, although Ruby's Cove is a B&B housed in a historic Victorian... it is most definitely not your typical historic Victorian B&B.

There is this altogether bohemian gypsy vibe to the place. Maybe because the owner, Donna, is a lively expression of such herself. So, you see, I coined this phrase for the place: Boho Victorian... because I think it's important for travelers to get a good sense of what they have to look forward to discovering in a word or two.

I've spent mostly cold, winter days/nights at the Cove, but found myself completely surrounded by a loving warmth there. It's definitely Donna's home and yet Ruby's (the house) certainlyhas a spirit all her own. It's just seriously full of love and energy and great music, as well as a peaceful quietness too.

I have mostly stayed out at Ruby's Cove for business and spent many hours working on presentations, sitting cross-legged on one of the overstuffed chairs in the turret part of the living room with a fuzzy blanket on my lap and my laptop on top of that. In the mornings, I've had coffee sitting there. In the evenings, I've enjoyed wine. In the late nights, hot tea.

Obviously, I have felt completely and utterly relaxed and comfortable at Ruby's... as if I were in a home that felt more like a home than my childhood home.

I don't mean to sound so new age fuzzy wuzzy, but that's how it's been for me there. And, because of this, I've gone back with family to stay at Ruby's Cove and visit Greenport (over New Year's in fact) and my family have experienced the same fuzzy feeling I have for Ruby's.

If you're looking for a hands-off very predictable Victorian B&B experience. This is not the place for you.

One thing I've discovered over my many stays is that it's always evolving. And the place (and Donna) encourages or nurtures the same in you, if you're open to that. And maybe even if you're not. It just sort of happens!

Enjoy your travels!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank christinedlg

Reviewed October 19, 2010

We have always loved more intimate, smaller hotels but have never stayed at a B&B. We wanted to do something different for my birthday and our anniversary weekend so we planned one in Greenport. Before leaving our house for the 2 hour drive, Donna called us at home to give us her directions and a few ideas of where to stop on our way out. I wrote it all down and boy am I glad she made that call!! We stopped on adorable Love Lane in Mattituck and had lunch at the Love Lane Kitchen, I should add that I had THE BEST Cuban Sandwich at this place, and I've had many. We stopped at Martha Clara Vineyards for a glass of champagne, loved the gift shop here and then we went to Bedell for a tasting...beautiful place. Thanks to Donna, this was getting off to a great start and we haven't even arrived yet!

I initially chose Ruby's for it's ultra convenient location but when we arrived I was sure I chose the right place for us. At first it was very strange driving up to this big, gorgeous house to ring the bell instead of having a lobby with a check in desk. Once the door was opened and we were greeted by very friendly Donna, the strange feeling disappeared. The outside of the home is beautiful, but once you get inside you are instantly sucked into it's amazing decor and are hit with a delicious chocolaty smell that filled the entire house. When we got up to our room , "The Ballast", we were wow'd by the beautiful decor that was beachy yet very elegant. The bedding was FABULOUS and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. Donna helped us out with getting me an in room massage that was OUT OF THIS WORLD, then afterward she helped us out with a place for dinner and somewhere to watch the Yankee game. There are i-pod docks in the room which are really nice to have, this was our first time away without TV and the TV people that we are, did miss having one while getting ready and right before falling asleep. We were prepared to not have one, and we were barely in the room so it wasn't a major issue at all but we've learned that we are probably TV junkies. The ENTIRE HOUSE is SPOTLESS and there is never a shortage of snacks, wine, beer and beverages. The rooms are immaculate, tastefully decorated (I got to see all 3) and each have their own bathroom. Ours had a shower that was smaller than most but it didn't bother us, we were glad to have a private bath. I LOVED the bathroom towels, they were so HUGE and soft and fluffy. The downstairs is beautiful and you will find all kinds of literature for the entire area and restaurant menu's are always handy. The morning newspaper was there as well.

Donna is never short on info and has lots of great ideas to help plan your day and make your stay unforgettable. Her breakfasts were DEEEELICIOUS...I have not stopped thinking about that French Toast since we got home and the banana bread was still hot and sooooooo good!! Green eggs and ham might just be a new breakfast around my house :) The other 2 couples were so nice, one of them got engaged while we were there and Donna cracked open a bottle of champagne that night and we celebrated. We had a great time. CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN MELISSA & JAMES!!

There is so much to see in this area and we loved it so much we will DEFINITELY be back. If you are a first timer at a B&B like we were, this is a great place to "get your feet wet". Donna makes you feel so at home, that if you are "weird" about the B&B concept she will make that all go away. If you are a seasoned B&B traveler who wants the relaxing experience and yet have a BLAST at the same time, definitely visit Ruby's on your next trip to Greenport, NY!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We had the most amazing weekend at Ruby's Cove in Greenport. Donna is really knowledgeable about the area and places to explore. The first day we took it easy pumpkin picking at Harbe's Farm and walking around town and along the docks. That night we went to dinner at Portobello in Greenport. It is right on the bay so has a pretty view (tables along the window). We both had soups to start and then had fresh seafood specials- DELICIOUS and excellent service. The next morning we had a DELICIOUS and creative breakfast prepared by Donna and then set off for a bike ride that Donna recommended (bike loop in Orient)- we ended up making it a full day trip- collecting sea glass along the way and taking pictures of the spectacular ocean views and beautiful historic homes (Orient Village). After several hours of biking we realized that we were starving and stopped at the Hellenic Cafe on our way back. There we ate an EXCELLENT authentic Greek meal- falafel, Greek salad, grape leaves, spanokipita and even baklava- couldn't stop eating! They also had nice outdoor seating and the BEST lemonade we have ever had! Their wine list is really impressive as well. Definitely pick Donna's brain while you are there- make sure to ask about the 57 (or 67?) steps cliff- it is absolutely breathtaking!!! Donna also really knows her vineyards- Shinn was beautiful and has an awesome red table wine and merlot. Also be sure to ask about her favorite pie stand- Briermere. Overall the inn is so charming, welcoming and homey. The bedroom (Madeline) was beautifully decorated with a pretty corner bay window and an extremely comfortable bed. If I had any recommendation of something to change (which was nearly impossible to think of) I would just recommend setting out the evening snacks (wine, cheese, olives, etc) a little bit earlier, because we were usually heading to dinner when they were out and did not want to ruin our appetites. One thing is for sure though, between the huge breakfasts, fridge full of snacks and evening munchies, you will definitely NOT be hungry!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Ruby's Cove is…sexy, funky New Orleans bordello décor meets English country gentleman's club in a historic 1837 Victorian home. Your host Donna will make your stay unforgettable, her pecan-raisin French toast alone is worth the visit.

Don't think twice about booking a room here, get on the train and just come out as soon as you can. You don't need to rent a car, save the money and treat yourself to another night here.

Even if you dislike B&Bs, you will have more privacy and space here than you thought possible. You can really be left alone here, but I strongly encourage you to take advantage of some time with Donna, she truly wants you to get the most for your time and no request goes unheeded.

I did not know how restorative this last weekend would be, I thought I just needed a little getaway from the city with my husband. What I received in return was more than I imagined. This is the place for all of us who run ourselves down with work and too many commitments; a night here and you will get the rest and relaxation you did not know you needed. I spent the late evenings curled up with a great book and a glass of wine, perfect after dinner at Noah's, with the bay windows open to hear the crickets chirp. Bliss.

The rooms are spotless, and the fresh flowers, adjustable bed, and soft robes will lull you to sleep. The house is on a quiet street in the historic Greenport waterfront area that's an easy walk or bike ride to the water, shops and restaurants. You can spend the day wine-tasting as we did, or explore Greenport's waterfront on the bikes Donna provides for all of her guests.

Let Donna know when you make your reservation what your interests are (wine-tasting? sailing? trip to Shelter Island?) and she can help with dinner reservations, winery recommendations and anything else you need; she seems to know everyone in town and they know her.

I can't wait to go back, we're only sad we couldn't stay longer.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Ruby's Cove was awesome and an amazing place in Greenport, NY to visit, relax and explore the North Fork of Long Island. This unique three bedroom house is so beautiful, fantastically furnished and totally inviting and only one block from downtown. Donna - who owns the home - is top-notch and is tapped into the local North Fork scene. She is a wealth of local knowledge and will always steer you right direction in terms of recommending beaches, farms, restaurants and vineyards. Plus, Donna always left out great treats to snack on such as wine, potato chips, pretzels, cake and more. And, her breakfast, although served late, was absolutely delicious.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
rubyscovebnb, Keeper of the Cove at Ruby's Cove Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2010

Finally! Someone said that my breakfast was served late!

THANK YOU!

I've been asking one of you patient souls to complain about that one for a while so others know what to possibly expect. As those of you who have been here know, I tend to get a bit crazy and creative in the kitchen and am still working some timing issues out, which I have to admit are not completely solved. For anyone coming here that urgently needs to be feed exactly on time, please give me a heads up the night before.... trust that I will be doing my best and always improving.

I don't know who wrote the review but I love you for it!

Reviewed September 7, 2010

Forget that it's centrally located -- but it should be noted that within seconds you can walk to all the restaurants and shops in the heart of Greenport.

Forget that the rooms are more comfortable and relaxing than any other dwelling you've ever experienced -- but it should be noted that you feel instantly at home.

Forget that the breakfasts are better than anything else you will eat for the rest of the year -- though it should be noted that the food is both original and familiar and you will not be able to stop eating what you're served, even if you're not hungry. (And as an aside, for those of you who come here and need many hours of recovery from eating and wine tasting and other gluttinous pursuits, Donna is not strict about the time breakfast is served. Hey, this is a B&B, not a weekend in army boot camp, okay? And while Donna is the most generous soul, you had better respect her and the time and effort she puts in to making you happy! Or else you'll hear from me! ;) )

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH: the greatest thing about this beautifully stunning old Victorian home is its keeper, Donna. The second you meet her, you'll think you ran into one if your best friends from way back! Her sweetness and generosity and ebullience and tremendous sense of humor are all showered upon you and the only thing you'll regret is that you have to leave. But you will tell everyone you know about this place and right after you leave, you'll be thinking about coming back.

Anyway, I'm writing this on the last night of our three-night Labor Day stay and while I am looking forward to eating nothing salads and celery sticks for the next week, I am sad to leave this house, which already feels like a second home. Thank you, Donna, thank you a million times!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dkaplan101
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Donna's breakfasts are REALLY good and so is the zucchini bread she leaves out. I also liked the fridge stocked with water, beer, wine, etc for guests to take.

We stayed in the Madeline Room which was very nice - we liked how the bed was in the turret. This room has a small bathroom (which is to be expected with an old Victorian turned into a modern B&B). It wasn't an issue for us and it works because the vanity is outside the bathroom, but it's definitely something to think about if you are someone that needs a little bit more elbow room in the shower. Donna mentioned that one of the other rooms has a larger bathroom. She also said that she's in the process of renovating a fourth room in the house which will have a larger bathroom.

The location is great because you can walk to restaurants and shops and not worry about driving after dinner.

We ate dinner at Noah's and The Farmhouse and we liked the Farmhouse better. We also had lunch and a glass of wine at Vine where they offer a very long list of wines by the glass.

Don't leave without taking Donna's bicycles out for a ride - there are bike lanes on roads and Donna will map out a route for you to take (which includes a couple gorgeous beaches). It was my favorite part of the trip.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Harborfront Inn at Greenport
Stirling House Bed and Breakfast
Fordham House
Fordham House
#1 of 10 in Greenport

Been to Ruby's Cove Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!