“Perfect Home”

Ranked #1 of 10 Greenport B&B and Inns
Long Island, New York
“Perfect Home”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This home is so quaint and peaceful. Our room was immaculate with the most comfortable bed, and softest sheets. Lovely sitting andeating areas downstairs! The owner Halina is probably one of the nicest women we've ever met. All she wants to do is make you feel welcome and at home, which is exactly how we felt from the minute we arrived until the minute we left!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank catm2

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I consider myself with high standards and the Fordham House has it all -
The house is preserved amazingly, the owner picked a collection of furniture that makes it feel like you are visiting in a different century.
The rooms are bright and with top of the line bedding and linens.

Breakfast is the highlight of this place - In a very exclusive place you would probably pay $50 - $60 for such menu.

Alina, the owner, is a special lady - I wouldn't think twice and I'm sure I will get back there once I can.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe3103
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I spent a weekend here in the autumn. The house has been carefully restored without compromising its heritage. The decor is in keeping with the historical home but is very tasteful and comfortable. We stayed in the smallest room (late to reserve) but saw all of the rooms, and they are very nice. Most (except the smallest) have sitting areas. I relaxed in the late afternoon in the common living room was but alone in the room. The host respected my quiet time but unobtrusively asked if I'd like a glass of wine. She is the perfect combination of being available when you need her and leaving you alone when you don't. Then there is the wonderful Humphrey, the proprietor's exceptionally sweet dog (who will be kept away from you if you're not a dog person).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wanderlustnyc45
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I can't really improve on others' 5-star reviews of Fordham House. The house is a beautifully restored ship captain's home with enough space to be completely relaxing even when all the rooms are full. (There's no Victorian/B&B style clutter or doll collections here!). The beds are a luxurious treat. The rooms are simply and elegantly appointed. The breakfasts are delicious and ample (don't miss the homemade yogurt with berries). What makes the difference between this and other B&Bs is the innkeeper Halina. She is a delight: warm, accommodating, super-helpful and just plain down-to-earth. We really enjoyed getting to know her and her affable furry friend Humphrey. We came Christmas (the 25th and 26th) when there was not a whole lot open (other than the wineries, which were empty and waiting for us -- no crowds!) and had a fulfilling and relaxing stay during a week that is often spent cleaning and cooking. For us, this was an introductory trip to the area, and within a few hours of being there we knew we'd be back, especially to experience all the farm stands...and more wineries. Thanks, Halina, for a great stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. -- even the small, cozy one with the yellow accent wall, in the back of the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JerseyWhirl
Astoria, New York, United States
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We booked here last minute after deciding to get away for New Year's Day. I called multiple Bed and Breakfast's in Long Island on New Year's Eve, but none answered. I was dismayed... until finally Halina at Fordham House answered. The pictures here do not do any justice for the house. It looks spectacular and the Christmas decor put a great holiday touch on the place. My wife and I had a great stay here and we had the whole place to ourselves. The modern touches on the house bring out its elegance. The breakfast was amazing. I never had such great waffles. They looked like they belong in a professional cooking magazine. I wish I would have taken a picture of them... but they looked so delicious I just dug right in. The snacks left out were also amazing. I cant wait to come back again in the summer.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We have just returned from our Winter weekend stay at the Fordham House and have nothing but rave reviews. The house is spotless and beautifully decorated. Halina has kept all of the old world charm of the house in tact while enhancing it with Ralph Lauren touches. Halina's breakfast, as well as her knowledge of the area is superb. We enjoyed a fantastic dinner at the North Fork Table and Inn as well as wine tasting at Old Fields. All around a great stay. We will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We recently returned to Fordham House for a delightful December weekend. Our parents were visiting and Brooklyn doesn't offer them too much so we drove out to Northfork for our return trip to Fordham House.

Fordham was as warm and welcoming as we recalled. The off-season in Greenport makes is even more charming with crisp country walks, visiting vineyards not to mention easier access to the best restaurants.

We'll be returning to Fordham soon during the winter to enjoy the peaceful sleeping and decadent dining. Can't think of a better way to end a work week!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenport
Harborfront Inn at Greenport
Stirling House Bed and Breakfast
Harbor Knoll
Harbor Knoll
#6 of 10 in Greenport

Been to Fordham House? Share your experiences!