“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Great Neck
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed September 4, 2007

We had a Wedding and Sweet 16 party the weekend of our stay at the Inn.

Reservation were made directly with the Hotel and we were offered an excellent rate.

The reservations manager Jennifer, was extremely helpful and courteous.

The town of Great Neck is charming and clean and the Hotel was relatively easy to find.

We were greeted by an exceptionally friendly Valet who offered us some tips about the area.

Check in was prompt,fast and friendly.

Our room was tastefully decorated, however, I believe it's about due for renovating.

We ordered room service, which was fast and the food was great.

We were also given a complimentary bottle of champagne 1/2 hour after we checked in which was great, even though
the champagne was not chilled.

Over all, the Town, Hotel, Staff and Experience at the Inn was Excellent!!

We would definitely stay again!!

• Liked — Hotel is a member of (SLH) Small Luxury Hotels of the World
  • Disliked — Very low ceilings in the hallways
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1spartan1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Buffalo
Reviewed September 4, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Inn @Great Neck for six nights, and could not be more pleased with the level of service and the accomodations. Our room was spacious, clean, comfortable and quiet, and very reasonably priced given the cost of hotels in Manhattan ($269/night for a King w/2 person jacuzzi tub). The hotel was within walking distance of the LIRR station, so getting to the US Open and to Manhattan was a breeze. The hotel restaurant was reasonable cost, excellent quality, good service. The staff at this hotel could not do enough for us - any request was met with a smile and assistance. I definitely recommend this hotel and plan to stay there again when visting the NYC/LI area.

• Liked — Service was examplary
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank STELLA13139
New York, NY
Reviewed July 20, 2007

Husband and I stayed three nights at the Inn at Great Neck from July 5th – July 8, 2007. Our wedding was in the Manhasset area of Long Island, and when I called around regarding hotel blocks in the summer of 2006, the Inn at Great Neck was able to give me the best rate, $165 per night + tax. They also gave our wedding block a reduced valet parking rate of $10 per night. So we blocked off 50 rooms. We initially worked with Sarah Freyne, who I think is in charge of special groups like this. She gave me and my mom a tour in the summer of 2006. However, most of the rest of the correspondence I had with the hotel over the year was with her associates, whose names I cant remember, but were often not very knowledgeable about the hotel. In the end, everything was set, and went very smoothly, but at times my confidence was a bit shaken.

Husband and I checked in on Thursday, July 5th and stayed in one of the regular rooms on the third floor. We also had my sister drop off 50 out of town guest bags at the hotel which the desk clerk gave out when someone from our block checked in. This process seemed to go very smoothly. The rooms are all different, which I love, and this one had an odd shape in that it was wide, but not very deep. They had a TV, a big bathroom, and a kitcheny area with a fridge and microwave. That first night we were there, our last together as fiancés, we walked over to dinner at the Pancho café on Grace Street. Very good Mexican food. Huge portions! There is also a CVS in walking distance, which was helpful.

On Friday morning, we walked over to the Bagel shop on Middle Neck Road and had some yummy breakfast. Later that day, I checked into the bridal suite on the 5th floor. If you are looking for a big, fancy bridal suite in which to spend your wedding night, this is NOT the place. The only difference between the bridal suite and the room I stayed in on Thursday night was that the suite has an enormous bathroom with a ‘jacuzzi tub.’ Really the room was similar, in fact the regular room had a fridge in it, and in the suite I had to request one (which was accommodated promptly) and the regular room had a pull out couch, and the bridal suite did not. Which kinda makes sense that it doesn’t, but since on Friday night my sister and cousin were staying with me, my sister had to sleep on the chaise lounge in the room. Anyway, I was under the impression that I would have the bridal suite COMPED both nights (Friday and Saturday) but when they went to charge me over $200 for the room Friday night, I complained to Sarah, we argued about it, and in the end, she charged me the $165 for the Friday night stay. You get the room on Saturday night comped if a certain number of room nights on your block are picked up (I can’t remember the minimum, I think its 25). I was sure she had told me I would have the suite for two nights, but I guess not.

We had our rehearsal dinner near the hotel, at the Rotunda Café on Middle Neck Road, which was really good. After, many of our friends and family gathered at the hotel bar and there was a piano player playing music. I think they closed the bar at midnight and then those still remaining went to the XO Bar, which is just across the street. I think the hotel normally closes the bar around 11pm, which I think is quite early for a Friday or Saturday night.

Saturday morning, I had rented out the conference room on the 2nd floor for our hair and make-up people to come and do the bridal party and moms. This was at Sarah’s suggestion and it was a great idea. There is no way all 15 of us would have fit in the bridal suite, even rotating through, and this was a good central location to meet up in the morning. We had breakfast provided through the hotel. They charged us $150 to rent out the room from 7am to 2pm and then $14 each for the continental breakfast, which was croissants, breads, cereals, fruit, coffee, tea and juice. We had a food attendant with us all morning keeping the food area clean and all the goodies stocked. That was much appreciated, although I think about everything at this hotel is overpriced. Some friends who had some breakfast at the hotel were disappointed in the prices, so I would suggest walking up to Middle Neck Road and hitting the bagel shop or Bruce’s (although I heard this place was good, but not cheap).

We had 49 rooms blocked off for Saturday night; so many of our wedding guests were staying at the Inn. When the shuttle busses arrived back at the hotel after the wedding, many guests went straight to the bar. I heard that they kept the hotel bar open quite late (like 1 or 2am) to accommodate the many patrons from our wedding. Initially, when I inquired about the hotel, they said to keep the bar open past 11pm they would require a $300 deposit which would be credited towards what was drank. Basically that we had to guarantee $300 worth of purchases to keep the bar open. We decided not to do that, but I am glad the inn was wise enough to keep the bar open, as many people were interested in purchasing drinks! My new husband and I were too tired to partake in the festivities, so we went up to our suite, and we were happy to see a bottle of champagne on ice, and rose petals everywhere, courtesy of the hotel!

Sunday morning, my family decided to host a breakfast at the hotel. We rented out the Empire Room from 10am – 1pm and we had a breakfast spread that was $23 per person. We had scrambled eggs, bacon, breakfast potatoes, and then a continental spread with coffee, tea and juice. They also charged us $250 to rent the room, plus an automatic 18% gratuity. They did only charge us for 60 people although we had way more, but I thought this too was a little bit overpriced.

Overall, this is a really nice hotel, but I felt a little nickel and dimed. I mean, we brought in so much business and they were unwilling to budge on any prices. But the service was really good, and this is a funky boutique hotel that has a very unique feel to it.

• Liked — funky rooms, good service by the staff
  • Disliked — some of the prices, spotty contact with the group rate staff
  • Stayed July 2007
1 Thank Harmony S
Queens
Reviewed July 7, 2007

Just was looking for a chance to get away from the stressful days at work by googling hotels in the Nassau area and I came across the Inn at Great Neck.
Small Luxury hotel standards leaves you with the comfortability that you will be taken care of and I wasen't surprised to see that all of my needs were taken care of!!!
Check in was an experience with the front desk offering answers to all my needs and concerns about the surrounding area and a recommendation to near by restaurants which left me completely satisfied!! The hotel has valet parking but I don't drive, so I didn't use this feature the hotel had offered. The door man opened the door for me as soon as he saw me, maybe 10 feet away and offered a smile and greeting worth remembering.
The rooms were beautiful..clean and everything was so accommodating! The housekeepers also take a second of their time to say Hi, and greet me as I exited my room.
The lobby has comfortable seating arrangements which made it nice to relax for a minute and listen to the music they play in the lobby, as well as the halls.
I will be back another weekend just to enjoy these simple pleasures!!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank Asimplelife
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2007

The hotel is a bit out from the centre of New York but the train station is very close and the journey into town doesn't take long.
The staff were very friendly, the food was good and the prices were reasonable.
The rooms were large, all the facilities you could ask for and in comparison to what we looked at in the centre of New York, amazing.
We would recomend it. Well worth the visit.
Break Neck itself is a nice town in it's own right, some interesting shops, some very good restaurants.
Breakfast at Bruce's Bakery is an experience not to be missed, make certain you get a doggie bag!

• Liked — friendly
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Topanga, California
Reviewed June 3, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Inn at Great Neck to attend my 40th High School Reunion. We initially picked the hotel because they offered special rates for the event, and were hosting an informal cocktail party the first evening of the event.

Although I'd lived in Great Neck many years, I hadn't been back in a long time, so the visit was both familiar and surprising. The hotel staff was very helpful in answering questions and providing directions.

The room was very nicely appointed and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable. Although it overlooked the Long Island Railroad tracks, we never heard a train, so the sound isolation to the outside was excellent!

I wish I could say the same thing about the noises in the hallway! We were awakend several times by the sounds of housekeeping staff walkie-talkies that must have been turned up very loud, and by the background music in the hallways, although the staff claimed they turned it down at night. There was also a buzzing sound of indeterminate origin that was disturbing. The Air Conditioning was also very loud.

We thought that being woken by Housekeeping at 9:00AM on Sunday morning was very disturbing, but we had forgotten to hang the "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door!

We had a very nice dinner at the Giraffe restaurant on Friday evening, and the staff was very accomodating about many long-lost friends coming over and joining our table. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. They gave everyone separate checks, which we appreciated!

Internet service was excellent and free (wired) in our room. There was also a business center on our floor where I was able to easily print boarding passes for our return flight.

The Valet was efficient, although expensive ($12/night). I guess that's par for the NY area.

All in all, it was a lovely hotel, and we would not hesitate to stay there again the next time we visit Great Neck!

• Liked — Very elegant and comfortable hotel
  • Disliked — Noise from hallways
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Topanga_Travelers
Great Neck, NY
Reviewed May 6, 2007

We were devastated. Our home had been flooded by a burst hot water pipe and we had to move out immediately. We were frustrated, upset and very confused. We have a dog and didn't know where we were going. I called the Inn and blurted out our situation. Their manager got on the phone with me and reassured me that in no uncertain terms they had room for ALL of us. When we arrived they welcomed us with a complimentary meal gave us a lovely suite and couldn't be kinder to the dog. As our stay has now been more then 5 weeks and we don't see it ending to soon, the Inn has made many provisions for us. Storage space for our clothing was limited for a very short time. I mentioned to Andrew (the manager) that we needed some extra drawer space as we had clothes all over and by the time I returned home from work that evening, we had another dresser arranged in our room. A bucket of ice arrives every evening when we return home as they must have made a mental note of our habits. As for the dog, everybody including the owner of the hotel make it their business to play with her daily. The service is just first class all the way. The restaurant is wonderful, the people are wonderful and the experience has just been fabulous. I will be sad when we finally have to leave as this Hotel has made us feel at home.

• Liked — The Inn is located one block from the LI railroad which gets you to Manhatten in 23 min. and walking distance to town and several wonderful restaurants.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Adria Hotel And Conference Center
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#2 of 4 in Garden City

Been to Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!