“Not Worth the Money”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Great Neck
Longwood, Florida
“Not Worth the Money”
Reviewed January 26, 2006

I had to stay at this hotel because I needed to conduct a seminar here and it was convenient. Unfortunately, the hotel does not live up to its hype. Yes, there is train noise so bring your earplugs. That was the least of the problems I encountered. The room itself was well arranged and the bed was comfortable. But it smelled like smoke and it was supposed to be a non-smoking room. I called down to check on this situation and see what could be done and the desk clerk offered to have someone come into the room and air it out. I wasn't about to let in a serious amount of cold air into the room. Besides it got worse as the evening progressed and I suspect it was a ventilation problem. No offer of a different room. The smell was terrible.

Another odd thing is that for a luxury hotel they have very limited and, sometimes very indifferent, staff. The same person who parked my car also brought up the cable required to use the internet. And he didn't where a uniform of any type (looked very unprofessional and made me uneasy about opening the door). The wait staff in the restaurant was also limited making the service less than stellar and the food was less than grand as well.

One of my bath towels had some hard gummy residue on it which I luckily discovered before I used it. The toiletries in the room were nice and the bathroom itself was well supplied and clean.

I would also question holding a seminar there in the future. Kitchen and other staff members were making lots of noise that filtered into the room while the seminar was going on and the rooms themselves do not have enough soundproofing between them.

Overall it does not fit the luxury category and shouldn't be charging the prices that it does. If you want convenience to the Long Island Railroad it may be worth it but I've stayed at cheaper locations in the City and in Queens where the soundproofing and the service were much better. I've also stayed at luxury hotels in the area and this place does not fit that category.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank Longwood Traveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Arlington, MA
Reviewed January 2, 2006

The beds were wonderful (and had goose down pillows), but I couldn't sleep with trains running at least once an hour right under my window (I was on 5, the top floor, but still the train noise was loud). If I'm paying $200 or more per night for a so-called luxury hotel, I expect to have a quiet room.

They advertise high-speed internet, but it's available by an ethernet cord (rather than wireless), and the ethernet outlet can't be used sitting on the bed --it's at the side of an inconveniently located desk (if you sit at the desk in the particular room I had, you are blocking access to the little refrigerator).

They charge $1 for each local call (and more after 20 minutes); I don't remember how much they add for calling long distance, but I'm used to hotels and motels that offer free local calling. (Fortunately I had a cell phone so I didn't have to use their phone.)

My room had two double beds, with a central light fixture between the beds; there were two lamps that swiveled from that central fixture, but the swtiches to turn the lamps off and on were located on the central fixture, not on the lamp. so that only a contortionist with long arms would be able to turn the light off without getting up from bed -- I would have thought that a "luxury hotel" might have put the light switches on the part of the lamp that swivels closer to the bed.

I didn't know that there is no free parking, and no short term parking area, only valet parking (at $12), and had not gotten my things organized to take with me when I arrived with my car; fortunately I was able to find an on-street parking place so I didn't have to use the valet parking.

The restaurant (Giraffe) claims to be a high-class establishment, but when I had breakfast, the orange juice was not fresh-squeezed (or didn't taste it anyway), the butter was in ice-cold little foil-wrapped pats that wouldn't melt on my not very hot waffle, the syrup for the waffle had no maple content at all and came in little plastic packets with a depressing ingredient list, the two eggs that theoretically could be prepared any style were not prepared the way I asked, and the only tea available as far as I could tell (the waiter wasn't very communicative) was Lipton regular and Lipton decaf.

I hope I never have to go to the Inn at Great Neck again (there don't seem to be many nearby alternatives), but if I did have to stay there, I certainly wouldn't eat in the resturant again.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank beadcraft
New York, NY
Reviewed October 16, 2005

The Inn has very comfortable rooms and a fabulous staff. What no one will tell you in advance is that the hotel overlooks the railroad tracks and the rooms are not soundproofed. There's no way not to hear the trains which run throughout the night. This made it feel more like a motor inn than the nice hotel it's trying to be.

No way this much noise is worth this price.

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank planman72
Reviewed May 1, 2005

In May of 2005, we spent a weekend at the Inn At Great Neck. We perioidically visit Great Neck to see a relative, and we normally stay at the competition, but this time we went with the Inn, and are we glad we did. The accommodations are superior, the restaurant is great, and the staff goes out of its way to be helpful. While staying at this wonderful hotel, we had a unique situation where we needed a notary public to stamp some documents at a local hospital. Sarah, the assistant manager, arranged for Alan Mindel, the hotel manager and a notary public, to come in on his day off (and his birthday to boot) and witness our papers at the hospital.
The staff really went above and beyond to take care of their customers. We highly recommend ths hotel, and we won't be going back to the competition!
Glenn & JJ

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 25, 2005

All kidding aside, this is a great hotel with great people. The title is an inside joke with one of the people that work there. Suites are a must as they have great room. LIRR Train is one block away.

• Stayed April 2005
Reviewed March 24, 2005

I was billed for phone calls that were neither placed nor received.
Otherwise, the Inn was fine.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 24, 2005

The Inn at Great Neck is an awesome place to stay for the professional businessman as well as the whole family! I feel based on my stay over the last 6 months, this is the best place on long island. I would also recommend eating at The Giraffe their gourmet restaurant, as well as using their ballrooms for a company function. I have used them in all areas and I rate them as perfect.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Neck
Adria Hotel And Conference Center
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#2 of 4 in Garden City

Been to Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!