“A Pleasant Hotel Experience Under Tough Circumstances”

Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Great Neck
“A Pleasant Hotel Experience Under Tough Circumstances”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I checked in the hotel just before Hurricane Sandy arrived on Sunday and I am staying through Tuesday. The entire staff has been helpful, caring and thoughtful. A letter was presented at check in from the management team with some helpful storm and emergency information. Although the hotel did lose power during the storm and they appear to be under a lot of pressure from the storm and some guests, I am finding them to be curtious and professional. They made me comfortable in the lobby and restaurant where they seem to have emergency power. I was given a flashlight and a glow stick for my room. It is not the most ideal situation but the Hotel has made me feel welcome and safe. I am making the best of it and the hotel is making it easy to do so. My room and bed are very comfortable and when the lights do come back on or the sun comes up I am looking to enjoy my room again. This was a tough situation dealt with in a professional level. For that reason alone I would and plan on returning in the future.

• Stayed October 2012
Franklin M, General Manager at Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for providing us with your feedback and in fact sharing it with others. I am very proud of our entire team. We did in fact do all we could to make the best of a bad situation during the unprecedented and historic storm (Sandy). While power was out, things were of course a bit hectic but we did all we could to make our guests feel comfortable and of course keep them safe and secure. I am glad to see that we accomplished that. I know all of our employees that were able to make it to work did all they could, even though they worked countless hours and dealt with less than ideal conditions and circumstances.

I am also thankful that our power actually returned as early as it did. As of Tuesday morning, our power was restored and for the most part things returned to normal as far as our hotel operations go.

I thank you for recognizing all of our efforts and I thank you for staying with us and stating that you will do so again. Often during difficult times, especially an emergency situation people fail to see the efforts that it takes to accommodate people in an operation such as a hotel that never closes and accommodates a wide array of guests.

The hotel industry is at times presents challenges; however, we do all we can to look at any and all challenges as opportunities to better serve our guests. We look forward to having you as a frequent guest and we hope that you will continue to share your experience with others.

~Franklin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Though it advertises itself as a small luxury hotel it reminded me more of a Marriot Courtyard experience. The rooms are fine but nothing special. The bar/lounge area could use some updating & refurbishing. Split upholstery on a banquette in a public room gives the wrong impression. Other problems included sporadic hot water for a morning shower & a lot of housekeeping noise early in the morning (8:00 am).

Biggest plus for me was the hotel staff (reception, valets/bellmen, servers) who were very cordial, professional, helpful & welcoming. My compliments for hiring good people & training them well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am very happy to hear that our service was one of the things you recognized as being above and beyond the ordinary. We pride ourselves on our level of customer service.

I am sorry that you did not see the difference in our rooms from an ordinary chain brand hotel. The majority of our guests do in fact recognize that our rooms and room amenities are in fact superior to many other hotels, which is why we are recognized as a member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World.

Some of the things that you mentioned and pointed out in your review, such as our lounge and restaurant are in fact areas that we are actually working on. We are making changes and updating the two rooms to enhance one's overall dining experience and we recognize that the ambiance is a big part of that.

The Hotel, its owners and its management team will continue to invest back into the Hotel, which can be seen by our frequent guests. It is our hopes that you too will return and see the upgrades, changes and advancements we continue to make.

Thank you for your time and consideration. All the best!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stay at this inn in Great Neck because of its proximity to JFK Airport and it's about a 20 minute
Train ride to NYC. On a whole it's a very average place to stay, trying too. Hard to be an upscale
Boutique Hotel which it is not in every respect. The Beds are comfortable and Bathrooms are what
You expect at a very average hotel. It some how got on the list of small leading hotels of the world, which must have not high expectations of their Hotels. The staff is friendly and try hard to please
And parking valet attendants/ room service clerks do their very best to please. The front desk is
Nice and try to be accommodating.it is the only alternative hotel to stay in great neck, besides the
Andrew( which is next door to a funeral parlor) . The inn at great neck is centrally located and you can walk to local restaurants, shops and the train station. For what it is I find the prices are high, but again it's the only show in town.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a nonsmoking room, facing front of hotel.rooms facing rear you may hear The tra...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Franklin M, General Manager at Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and overall review of the Hotel. In reading your review it appears that you enjoyed the majority of the services, amenities and accommodations that you were offered and provided with throughout your stay. Besides the bathrooms, which are much larger than the ordinary hotel bathroom, and are complete with marble and granite decor, it is unclear what it is that you did not care for.

We always ask our guests to provide us with details regarding their stay through direct feedback. The Hotel sends out a guest survey out to the vast majority of its guests, and that allows one to provide us with specific details regarding their overall experience. That in turn allows us to improve upon the various things we have control over within the Hotel. Our guests' unedited reviews and scores can be found on the Inn's website.

We encourage guests to continue to utlilize TripAdvisor to share thier experience with others and of course take the time to provide the Hotel with direct and detailed feedback.

Thank you for your time and consideration. The Inn will continue to strive to exceed one's expectations.

San Diego, California
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The Inn at Great Neck has nice suites for families. It is a walkable location next to higher end shops that reflect this affluent suburban location. We like the personalized attention and the free DVD childrens movie selection. It is also convenient to an express train to Manhattan, as well as a great central point to explore Long Island. Would recommend the larger roomier suites but the smaller ones work as well. Convenient business center on 5th Floor.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank sandiegosunshinemom
Franklin M, General Manager at Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your overall experience with our team here at the Inn at Great Neck Hotel and travelers that utilize TripAdvisor as a resource for traveling tips. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Hotel and its overall convenient location.

The Inn at Great Neck is unique in the fact that it offers very spacious rooms, regardless of the room type one selects. That is something we always try to emphasize and share with our potential guests; therefore, we thank you for doing so.

In addition, we strongly promote our convenient location as there are very few hotels on Long Island where one can walk out the front door and enjoy a stroll to a nearby restaurant or boutique shop. The fact that we're located by the Long Island Rail Road (Great Neck Train Station) is also a plus for the Hotel and our guests. One can simply reach the heart of New York City by train in less than 30 minutes. As you mentioned, the Hotel is a great place to stay as one explores Long Island and New York City.

Again, we thank you for sharing your feedback with us and so many others. Please be sure to visit us again in the near future and please continue to share your experience with other travelers.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

CT
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I travel to Great Neck quite a bit. In the past, I have stayed at the Andrew Hotel. My company decided this time to put me up at the Inn at Great Neck. This is a centrally located hotel, walking distance to the train and in to the heart of town. Parking is a breeze...you pull into their circular drive way and your car is kept in an under ground parking garage which is nice. The rooms are spacious, modern, and clean. Beds are OK, I wouldn't rave about them or the pillows but not bad. They have a coffee pot in the room which is very convenient. They have a restaurant in the hotel which is great especially for breakfast. The food was good but service was slow on both mornings. If you are in a rush give yourself a little extra time. Staff was very pleasant. The only problem I had was that the TV was not working really well. In all fairness to the hotel, I didn't complain about it until I checked out because I just didn't want to move all my stuff to a new room because I knew that is what I would have to do. So before you get yourself comfortable, check your channels to ensure that they don't freeze up. I am a female business traveler who felt very safe at this hotel. Hotel hallways are lit up nice. This is my hotel of choice in Great Neck. If you have a choice between the Andrew and the Inn...stay at the Inn.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room in the front of the hotel as you can hear the train from the back rooms...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MSSCt
Franklin M, General Manager at Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for providing the Inn at Great Neck with your honest feedback. This not only helps us continue to improve our accommodations, amenities and services, it also assists many others that may be visiting Long Island and considering a stay in Great Neck. That is very much appreciated.

We are very pleased that you found our Hotel to be comfortable throughout your stay and our location to be convenient for your business travel needs. Many of our guests enjoy our boutique style while enjoying our spacious rooms. Many also enjoy the fact that as a guest of the Hotel one can simply walk outside the Hotel and enjoy the great tree lined streets of Great Neck, which provides our guests with added comfort and convenience.

I have taken note to some of the things that you did not find favorable and I have shared them with our team. As always it is our goal to exceed our guests' expectations and that means to me, "across the board." We will certainly address them all and continue to strive for perfection.

If you and/or you company are or do become more frequent guests, please consider developing a corporate negotiated rate with us, which can be handled through our sales team. You and others may also enjoy the 20% discount we are offering through TripAdvisor.

Thank you again for your time and consideration.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Great hotel. Service was great. Nice and helpful staff. Loved that we could walk outside and walk around town. We also walked to train to visit NYC. Very convenient. Rooms were sizeable and clean. Bar in evening was cozy.

• Stayed July 2012
Franklin M, General Manager at Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and other travelers that rely on or factor in TripAdvisor reviews. We appreciate your time and consideration. I am delighted to see that you found our location to be very convenient and or service to be great.

It is our hopes that you will continue to share your positive experience with others and that you will return as our guest in the near future when returning to Long Island. As always, it will be our goal to exceed your expectations.

Thank you again.

Teaneck, New Jersey
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The rooms are nice and well appointed. The service is generally ok, slow at times, due to a limited staff. Don't arrive before the 3pm check in or you will be sternly reminded that "check in" is not until 3pm. There is no priority list for waiting for a room so if another guests arrives after you and a room becomes available, you will likely lose it unless you linger in the lobby.
If you valet park a car, the wait time to retrieve it could be really long if others are waiting, as there is only one bell hop who does everything. They will not allow self parking.
The quality of the food in the restaurant needs improvement but there are some great restaurants in walking distance that are much better alternatives.
The lobby area could use some updating.
The town of Great Neck is really nice for shopping and dining and the hotel is in walking distance to all of it.

Room Tip: many of the rooms look out on the railroad tracks, although the train is not that noisy unless you a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Franklin M, General Manager at Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for recognizing our well appointed rooms. We apologize if you were inconvenienced in any way. The Inn at Great Neck has a check in time of 3:00PM. The Hotel's check out time is 12:00 Noon. The Inn also has a variety of rooms types and suites. When a person's room or suite type is available, the Inn's team does all it can to allow one to check in earlier. Check ins are done based upon room or suite type availability and requests. On a sold out night, it becomes a bit more difficult; however, the majority of our guests do not wait until 3:00PM.

The Hotel does provide valet parking only, and the hotel's garages are locked and secured and most guests recognize the service as an added value. We in fact do not allow one to self park in our garages for many reasons. If one wishes, they they could park in a public lot or on the street; however, one would then have to worry about feeding meters to avoid getting a ticket, etc.

As far as dining goes, our guests may choose from a buffet breakfast or an al la carte menu breakfast. In addition our wait staff and chefs will always help prepare special requests. I can assure you and others that we do not lack any staff in any department, which is why most travelers view our customer service as exceptional. I do apologize if that was the perception you had during your stay with us.

The Inn at Great Neck team and I continue to invite experienced travelers to experience our accommodations, services and amenities, and we as always encourage our guests to share their feedback and opinions with us and others. We believe all honest and candid feedback is helpful to the Hotel and travelers alike.

Thank you!

Adria Hotel And Conference Center
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#2 of 4 in Garden City

Been to Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!