“good but not Thai”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Middle Neck Road
Transit: LIRR stop at Great Neck Station
Reviewed October 26, 2013

this is a good restaurant and i will go back but next time with realistic expectations

i had my heart set on a good Thai meal so we tried Laverne.

The Thai dishes are tasty but they are not close to being authentic and for me, it was a disappointment as I spend so much time in Thailand and know how good real Thai food can be.

Again, with the proper expectations you will be finw

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have never been to this place before and doubt I ever will. I discovered them through Groupon, I made a reservation on Saturday 9/29/2013 with a lady that answered the phone and identified herself as "Fonny" for Sunday 9-28-2013. Upon arriving to the restaurant restaurant, I was soo disappointment to find out that the restaurant was close on Sundays. That lady took my name and food number and confirmed my reservation. I called this morning and unfortunately got the same " Fonny" lady again, she didn't care to even apologize, the worse thing is she acknowledge that she made my reservation for me. I called several time and left messages for the manager and no one returned my call.

1  Thank Ginou17
Reviewed September 9, 2013

An interesting blend of French, Japanese and Thai in a plain-Jane storefront restaurant. The décor is "early-Formica", paper napkins, clean but uninspired décor. Service was a bit slow as if they were bewildered by the fact that the place was full on a Saturday night. All that being said, the food was good, the prices fair and more than reasonable and the menu interesting and varied. Some items you don't expect to find in this sort of an eatery such as Cocquille St. Jacques whish was different from what we expected but pretty good.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I visited Laverne of Great Neck in January of 2012 when it first opened. At that time the food was exciting and diverse but needed a little tweeking. I returned to Laverne in July of 2013, and I was amazed at how far Laverne has progressed.
The menu has been updated and the new exotic gourmet Thai additions were superb. The managing partner Frans was once again, a superb and generous host who prepared a fantastic tasting menu for us.
We began with plates filled with colorful samplings of fish, sushi, and salads. All delicious and a preview of the wondrous tastes, aromas and flavors that were to come. We sampled an amazing plate of D'Artagnan Foie Gras made with tuna, lightly seared, acompanied with foie gras, chopped black winter truffles, and blended with sauternes wine with green tea, ponzu aoli sauce. A complex and beautifully presented dish with an amazing tastes and appearance.
There were so many fabulous small plate dishes but we also enjoyed basic choices from the menu such as the Chicken Pad Thai -made with stir fried Thai noodles, chicken strips, egg, bean sprouts, dry tofu, and topped with ground peanuts, Mild with a hint of spice and quickly devoured. We also loved the Basil Fried Rice prepared with Basil leaves, bell peppers, chili paste and tomatoes served with shrimp. Fabulous taste, aroma and a spicy kick that differentiated it from the average fried rice.
As sushi lovers we were excited to try a few selections form Laverne's extensive menu. Our sushi tasting included Yellowtail Jalepeno sushi and a Tiradito both ocean fresh and delicious. We also sampled a Thai Tempura roll made with tempura shrimp, mango, scallions, basil bean sprouts. The outside of the roll was made with Tobiko.
The most exotic sushi roll was saved for last...The D'Artagnan Roll made with foie gras , marinated in truffle oil, mixed with black winter truffles, garlic and yellowtail. Topped with black caviar and seared yellowtail with a miso abolone sauce. Simply sensational...

We finished our meal with green tea and a plate of fried Bananas with vanilla ice cream!

A fabulous and amazing asian culinary journey at one of long islands most exciting new asian restaurants.

Highly recommended for great food and service.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

The food was just OK and the service was fine. There was only one other table taken so it was somewhat lonely.

1  Thank vishty