“I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it”
Review of The Andrew Hotel

The Andrew Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Great Neck
Atlantic Beach, New York
“I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it”
Reviewed September 17, 2006

We had the need to stay at a hotel for one night on Long Island's north shore, and after reading reviews we decided on the Andrew. When we arrived the woman at reception was very nice, and upgraded us to a 1 bedroom suite. The room was lovely, and had all the amenities that you expect in an upscale hotel including wireless internet, a great (but VERY firm) bed, a large flat screen TV, and a nice bathroom with lots of counter space. The room was very quiet, comfortable and clean. The complimentary breakfast served on the second floor was very nice and included hard boiled eggs, fresh bagels, yogurt, cereal and assorted pastries. And the coffee which is fresh brewed just for you is a nice touch. In short, if you need a place to stay anywhere in the Great Neck vicinity don't hesitate to call here first.

• Liked — convenient location... quiet
  • Disliked — kind of a musty/smoky smell in the hallway
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jeffCT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
San Francisco
Reviewed September 16, 2006

The location in Great Neck is great.

Most of the staff was pleasant, however the desk clerk on my day of arrival left alot to be desired. His customer service stank.

By the way, the elevators did not work for 3 of the 4 nights I stayed there. Not necessarily a bad thing, as going up and down the flights of of stairs substituted for their exercise room, which by the way is really a gym across the street that charges hotel guests $10 per day.

The rooms were nicely decorated, although small. There were several lights in my room that did not work. The beds were comfortable. My room had a nice balcony, however the balcony wasn't private, as the windows of the adjoining room opened onto my balcony.

The walls are like paper. It was almost as though my neighbors were in my room, I could hear their conversations and televisions as clear as day. Not pleasant when my neighbor keeps the tv on all night.

How they trick you with the valet service. Noone ever mentions the $13 per day charge to park the car in their lot. I could do that myself, or park across the street. The charge is not even mentioned in the guest services book that is located in each room.

Stayed September 2006
1 Thank E55815
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed April 19, 2006

Okay here's the breakdown. Short and sweet.

-You must use their Valet parking. And they park your car only about ten feet away. Otherwise you just pay anyway to park across the street. The Attendants are sometimes hard to find (be sure to call front desk prior to needing your car). The keys are all hung inside a small closet area that is UNSECURE. Free Porsche anyone??

-If you want to know what your next-door neighbors are up to, just listen. I had to touch the wall to make sure it wasn't paper.

-Shower drain clogged. Bathroom minuscule.

That's all. These things aren't THAT big of a deal, but I had a hard time looking past them after paying $200 a night.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank ToasterOne

Travelers are raving about these Great Neck hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 13, 2005

Recently booked two rooms for my family at the Andrew and was very disappointed in the quality of the rooms, the service, and the attitude of the staff. In one of the rooms, neither the phones nor internet worked the entire night. In both rooms, needed to call the front desk for essentials like toilet paper and clean glasses in the room. In complaining about the service, the front desk did nothing to resolve the problems and appeared irritated that I was bothering them. The desk area is not set up for the business traveler. Upon taking a shower, the faucet handle came off. The closet consisted of a rod with a fabric drapery closing off your clothes. Who did the design of this place? Way overpriced for what you get. I have stayed at motels with far superior rooms and service. The Inn at Great Neck is far superior hotel at a greater value. Skip the Andrew on your next trip and book elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 1, 2005

I recently stayed one night at The Andrew in Great Neck.

Reservation:
I made my reservation the same day I was planning to arrive. I called the hotel directlyl to determine availability and was told that because the hotel was near full that evening, the rate would be $235 - and no discounts were available. I checked on-line and was able to make a reservation for the same type of room for $175 (with a AAA discount).

Arrival:
When we arrived, it wasn't clear how parking was to be handled. We saw a sign labeled "hotel parking" and drove into the garage under the hotel. It was very tight. We walked to the front entrance and were approached by a gentleman indicating we must use the valet parking system (which was $13.00 per day). From that point forward, we simply dialed "0" to have our car brought around. The check in process was rather slow as there was only one person at the front desk and the phone kept ringing.

Room:
The room was clean and nicely decorated. Modern with a minimalist approach. While it was on the smaller side, it was plenty big enough for 2 people. The problem with our room was that it was directly above the ballroom on the first floor. A wedding was taking place that evening and the music was so loud, it was impossible to sleep. I called the front desk and they were very helpful. We were assigned a new room on the 4th floor (bigger than our original room).

Location:
The Andrew is convenient to the train station and shops/restaurants in Great Neck. All within walking distance to the hotel.

Overall, my experience at The Andrew was favorable. I would stay there again, if my travels required me to be in Long Island.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank SweetPea
Great Neck, NY
Reviewed June 16, 2005

I live in Great Neck and had my parents stay in The Andrew which is a few blocks from me. Upon arriving the workers at the Front Desk were extremely stuffy and rude and need a lesson on smiling. Upon entering the room there was just a white sheet on the bed and 3 lights did not work. When my parents asked for new light bulbs the repy from the front desk help was "Well do you know how to turn it on?' Only one light was then replaced. The TV remote was wrapped in scotch tape and I will never again let them stay here. For the price they paid the quality of service was not worth it. While it is a great location for a hotel, I'd rather rent them a car and have them stay in a much more classy, friendly environment. I have many guest who will be visiting me this summer and I will never subject any of them to this kind of snobby service again. But I must say, the kindest service was from the maid!! I wish I had gotten her name because I'd let someone know she should be promoted to the front desk!

A Great Neck resident

• Stayed June 2005
11 Thank AmyD5580
los angeles, california
Reviewed June 8, 2005

My stay at the Andrew delivered everything I hoped. A nice clean room reasonably priced with good decor. Staff were pleasant. The location is perfect, right accross from the LIR train station. $6 to get to NYC in a flash - good for a quick get a way. Great Neck as a town was nice to walk around in. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Express ROSLYN - MANHASSET AREA
Adria Hotel And Conference Center
Best Western Queens Gold Coast
Hilton Garden Inn Roslyn

Been to The Andrew Hotel? Share your experiences!